Wisconsin LFS'!!! - Page 8
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Wisconsin

Old 12-30-2010, 03:22 AM   #106
bnbfishin
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Hey guys. Fairly new to the site but have had various fresh and saltwater aquariums for many years. Just getting back into it with a 55 gallon after a 12ish year vacation from fish tanks.
For the person who has been to The Fish Factory in West Allis, what kind of selection do they have for freshwater fish and plants? I checked their website but it only lists saltwater fish, inverts and corals.

Thanks!
Bill from Oshkosh
bnbfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2010, 05:02 PM   #107
defiesexistence
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

@ Bill: Plants with them are hit and miss. I haven't seen them carry any foreground plants nor aquatic mosses. Sometimes they are clean out, and sometimes have a lot. They keep snails with the plants, so make sure to dip them. Decent selection in freshwater fish. Haven't seen externally sick fish the past couple times there.

Last edited by defiesexistence; 02-13-2012 at 05:53 PM..
defiesexistence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:34 PM   #108
Lil' Swimz$
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Ha. I'm also a teenager in Wisconsin. I go to Living Art Aquarium in Madison. I really like it there. They have very nice fish, wide selection. Their saltwater tanks are gorgeous! Their plants are really healthy too! I've never seen any algae there.

20g
Lil' Swimz$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:35 PM   #109
RipariumGuy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Swimz$ View Post
Ha. I'm also a teenager in Wisconsin. I go to Living Art Aquarium in Madison. I really like it there. They have very nice fish, wide selection. Their saltwater tanks are gorgeous! Their plants are really healthy too! I've never seen any algae there.
I have heard of that store from a freind who lives in Madison. I really need to check it out sometime.
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
RipariumGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:39 PM   #110
Lil' Swimz$
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Ya they have very healthy puffers there also.

20g
Lil' Swimz$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:49 PM   #111
kingfisherfleshy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

They have a Mbu right now on sale for $199.

Their plant selection is pretty limited. I havent really seen anything there too cool.

They are probably the best LFS in madison though. There is another large one in that same area, but the quality is not as good. Huge selection though.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:27 AM   #112
dzydvl
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

One thing I love about LAA is Paul is willing to special order items and sell to me at cost as long as he doesn't have to put the fish in his tank, this is great for shrimp since they tend to get stressed.

Will work for shrimpz.......
dzydvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:25 AM   #113
bnbfishin
Algae Grower

@defies; Thanks for the info. One of my days off I'll take a trip down there and check them out. I just receievd a 48" T5HO 2 bulb fixture that I bought from them on [Ebay Link Removed] Happy with it so far.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:10 PM   #114
defiesexistence
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Bill, are you going for high/medium/low tech? How large is your tank? (also has four footer, and is looking at t5's, but not sure if should go two bulbs, one bulb, HO, NO)
Old 01-07-2011, 01:32 PM   #115
bnbfishin
Algae Grower

I'm going mid tech? I only say that because I have the T5HO and a 25 watt UV sterlizer running with 2 Magnum 350's. It isn't quite low tech and certainly not high tech. I have a 55 gallon and am only lighting one of the bulbs in the fixture since two would be beyond high light in this tank. One bulb registers at medium light according to Hoppy's graph in another thread. I was shooting for med-low light and couldn't find a normal T5 fixture in my price range that could handle two bulbs. So I opted for the T5HO and using only one bulb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by defiesexistence View Post
Bill, are you going for high/medium/low tech? How large is your tank? (also has four footer, and is looking at t5's, but not sure if should go two bulbs, one bulb, HO, NO)
Old 01-10-2011, 03:38 PM   #116
defiesexistence
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Huh. How much did you pay for it, and how do you like the light spread? Do you have carpet plants growing? Any ferts?

Last edited by defiesexistence; 01-10-2011 at 03:38 PM.. Reason: pardon, don't mean to interrogate ;)
Old 01-18-2011, 02:42 AM   #117
Azimuth01
Algae Grower

I'm setting up my aquarium again and just re-registered on these forums. I'd just like to update about aquatics unlimited.....avoid. I've been away from the hobby for about 3 years. When I went there again I was in shock at the prices they are charging. Used equipment is being sold for 10% less then their new equipment, and the new equipment is 150% to 200% more expensive then the same thing online. Fish and plants are twice the price that they were a few years ago, and the staff (at least the unfortunate young man I dealt with) didn't even know how to measure tubing and use a cash register. In his defense, I believe it was his first day. Needless to say I had a very unpleasant experience.
Azimuth01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:15 PM   #118
defiesexistence
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Fish Factory update: They have blue angels, which look pretty neat, and they are getting a whole new counter/checkout area. It's just a 2x4 frame so far. They are also stocked decently with plants at the current moment, although most are pretty mainstream. They have a load of Fluval rimless tanks in the saltie section, and they seem to be adding other new products to keep up with the way aquaria is moving.

Last edited by defiesexistence; 02-13-2012 at 05:50 PM..
Old 01-30-2011, 01:25 AM   #119
fishranger
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Default another from Wisconsin

Hey everyone got another person from Milwaukee but am currently living in superior WI for college. As for pet stores around milwaukee Hoffers and Aquatics unlimited are the better ones have I been to. Ok use to work at Aquatics Unlimited and do from time to time when I go back down to Milwaukee. Right now got 4 tanks set up a 40 with my older fish 9yr old serverm. A 55 planted mixed community, a 20gallon planted with ada and crs and a 10 gallon planted.
fishranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:33 PM   #120
Kosey929
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishranger View Post
Hey everyone got another person from Milwaukee but am currently living in superior WI for college. As for pet stores around milwaukee Hoffers and Aquatics unlimited are the better ones have I been to. Ok use to work at Aquatics Unlimited and do from time to time when I go back down to Milwaukee. Right now got 4 tanks set up a 40 with my older fish 9yr old serverm. A 55 planted mixed community, a 20gallon planted with ada and crs and a 10 gallon planted.
I am in Minocqua and there's nothing near here except DFS which is the closest thing we have to an LFS. I see that you are from Superior, soooo...are you aware of any good shops in the Superior/Duluth area? I've just converting my 56g reef tank to a planted FW tank and need to stock it. I normally buy everything from DFS' retail store or liveaquaria.com, but I'm not real impressed with their plant selection online. I must say that their service is fabulous and the quality of plants I have ordered has been good. Just wish they had a larger selection. TIA for any info!
Kosey929 is offline   Reply With Quote