DK's m..a..d.. d..o..-i..n..g..s........ - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-28-2011, 12:17 AM   #31
Lance Uppercut
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

holy moly!
Lance Uppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2011, 12:48 AM   #32
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

PTrader: (197/100%)

Here's another view of that coo-el Blue T-rex tiger. It's a juvie about half inch size right now.

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 10-05-2012 at 03:26 PM..
DKShrimporium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:59 AM   #33
H82LOS3
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (28/100%)

They are beautiful, pls keep us updated
H82LOS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:02 AM   #34
aman74
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenisgood View Post
I keep different mosses. I don't really keep track of berried females; it's like trying to watch the pot boil...

Depends on my water, and its reliability. I would never use designer substrate, though. It fatigues over time and when you finally realize it's fatigued, you are stuck needing to re-do an entire tank at the mercy of its timing. With an RO unit, you change your filters, but you can control that, and it doesn't distrupt your entire tank to do, to make appropriate water. Plus, you don't have to shell over too much money, AGAIN, for designer substrate.

Mostly I hang around TPT, but I do occasionally put stuff on AB (ID = photosyner), to keep my feedback refreshed. The exotic stuff will first go up on AB, to help me recoup some of the horrifying up front expenses I've had to spend to get into some of these new varieties. I do not feel comfortable asking sky high prices for stuff, so when it's new I let the market decide on AB. When I have production up enough, I move over here and try to spread stuff into the hobby affordably.

Pic of a lid, below. I used a hole saw to drill a hole, then ordered buna-n grommets and plugs from Grainger.

Picture of some Black Tigers snackin' down in their "cave," while the boyfriends dance in the foreground... somebody just molted and is gonna be packing eggs, soon... whoo hoo! I just took these pics...

Picture of a coo-el Blue Tiger T-Rex baby.
Thanks so much for your help.

Also, your philosophy and approach mirrors mine. It's good to see people operating in a reasonable and professional manner. Can't wait until you have some to sell.
aman74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:26 AM   #35
soundgy
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to soundgy

Subscribed. I am similar minded to aman74 as well. Although I clearly have a lot more to learn from both of you. I have my moderate rack set up. Not nearly as huge a facility as what you have. Good Job on everything! I am going to add you and aman74 to my friends list as we all seem to have a similar passion for shrimp.
soundgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:48 PM   #36
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Default Double post - deleted

Technical prob - posted double, deleting one.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:59 PM   #37
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Default Humble beginnings

I don't make too many threads, because I'm a little shy and don't want to sound like a know-it-all. Shrimp teach me every day how little I know.

One of the reasons I made this thread is to share my joy of working with shrimp. They are BEAUTIFUL animals, with very interesting behaviors to watch, and dreamy possibilities in genetics and breeding projects. Because they have short reproductive cycles, you can see progress easily in selective breeding projects.

You don't have to be rich, or elite, to enjoy shrimp. You should, however, be willing to do your homework, and invest in the essentials for success.

This is how I started, below, because it's what money I could afford: Plastic drawers and rubbermaid bins, cheapie shelving, shop lights, cheapie walmart filters.

Notice I had to even use the cheapo nearly half-inch thick coarse particle board that came with the shelves - I had to tape plastic drop cloth over it to help water proof it. Because this is what I could afford for infrastructure, at the time. (BTW - underneath that particle board I had cut lengths of square tubing someone had given me from a junkyard, the tubing was put front-to-back as more support under the boards - those boards would never hold even the weight you see without steel bars underneath in cross support. In a pinch, slotted shelf supports will do for support beams and are often available in the exact lengths you would need, too.) However, I'd suggest go straight to industrial grade shelving. I regretted trying to save money on a cheaper shelving unit; it was the first thing I replaced, even before I replaced the plastic tanks. And it was a PAIN to replace, because now I had all these tanks to move, to replace it.)

I worked hard, and read everything I could, learned new things every day. I focused on targeted projects, and didn't just chase the latest fashion. I kept a budget and a prioritized list of upgrades, and pre-designed each expansion/upgrade. I made close friends with google, craigslist, ebay, the local plumbing/HVAC trade shops, metal and plastics fabricators, the department guys at BORG and Lowes (now, when I go in there, they know me, and don't ask "what I'm looking for" but rather "what am I trying to do" - because I typically use things in unusual fashion to accomplish a function - an example is my electrical conduit bulkheads on the plastic bins, below). Last time I went to Lowes, three of the guys came up to me, asking what I'm doing, today. I said, "I'm looking for a plastic hook. It has to hold about ten pounds. It has to be corrosion resistant, because it's going to be under water in a salt solution. Cheap wins." The plumbing guy went and got me a S hook for holding up PVC pipes ($2). The lumber guy's choice was a sheet panel holder (he lost at $6). The hardware guy won, with an over-the door plastic hook for robes ($1.50, plus it had a broad surface area to hook onto, which suited my needs).

By doing much myself - learning, DIY projects, making contacts, etc., I learned as I went along. It was a fun, frustrating, sometimes expensive journey, to get to today. And I'm still pushing forward, trying to make new inroads into my progress. It's a hobby that is enriching, if you make it so.

BTW - I got lucky and the Rubbermaid bins never split and burst on me, but I was nervous toward the end about this. They definitely aren't designed to hold water in this manner! The plastic drawers with casing are much more suited, although smaller. HA!

-DK

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 10-05-2012 at 03:26 PM..
Old 01-28-2011, 03:11 PM   #38
Moe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (49/100%)

I love it! Nothing like putting two cool things together, DIY projects and shrimp.
Just goes to show you what a little thinking can do. DIY is so much fun trying to figure out and perfecting your projects. Especially your water change system!
Your set up shows everyone that you don't need fancy, high priced equipment to get amazing results.
Great job. Keep the picture coming please
Fluval EBI Pimp #12
Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:50 PM   #39
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

LOL... Yeah, I always say it isn't sporting just to go out and BUY something, or to use it for its intended purpose... no lateral thinking involved there, so it's boring, to me. In the end, I love to create, I love to build, and there's nothing so fun to work with as living things, to build new things, and set up "worlds."

Black Tigers are a perfect example. To me, once you get to all black, and, say, all dark black, it's boring. Where is there to go? What is the interest?

To me, the jackpot is in the T-rex's. What could you do with the patterns? What could you create, starting with this as a foundation? ...Changing the stripe colors, or the body colors, or breeding toward broken stripes or irregular dots... The kaleidoscope of possibilities in them fascinates me. Each one is unique, so you can get to know them, when you watch them.

-DK
Old 01-28-2011, 04:57 PM   #40
Moe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (49/100%)

Yep, the possibilities are endless! Just when you think you have see the best or coolest, someone else creates something nicer! Your shrimp are a fine example of that. Lol
Fluval EBI Pimp #12
Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:04 PM   #41
Navigarden
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

Your work is so inspiring! I'm trying hard to set up a rack of my own I love shrimp!
Navigarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:49 PM   #42
aman74
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenisgood View Post
BTW - I got lucky and the Rubbermaid bins never split and burst on me, but I was nervous toward the end about this. They definitely aren't designed to hold water in this manner! The plastic drawers with casing are much more suited, although smaller. HA!

-DK
Is the plastic drawer the one in the middle with the HOB filter? What's the casing you're speaking of?

I assume these are some of those plastic storage chests, but I was wondering if by casing you meant the frame or something you improvised for sturdiness.

Did you have any concern about the plastics and what they're treated with? I saw mention of there being a chemical they use to keep them flexible that may be harmful to fish.

You had some bulkheads there, what kind of central system were you running?

Thanks for sharing the pics and info, as someone said it's inspiring to others. I know it's giving me some motivation.
aman74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:29 PM   #43
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Thank you everyone for your positive remarks; I appreciate them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman74 View Post
Is the plastic drawer the one in the middle with the HOB filter? What's the casing you're speaking of?

I assume these are some of those plastic storage chests, but I was wondering if by casing you meant the frame or something you improvised for sturdiness.

Did you have any concern about the plastics and what they're treated with? I saw mention of there being a chemical they use to keep them flexible that may be harmful to fish.

You had some bulkheads there, what kind of central system were you running?

Thanks for sharing the pics and info, as someone said it's inspiring to others. I know it's giving me some motivation.
Yes, the middle photo above, the cantilevered "tank" is the plastic drawer.

By "casing" I meant the part that the drawer slides into. In the middle picture, you see this, whereas it's missing in the wagon picture. The drawers aren't structural enough to hold the water without the casing, but by using the casing, you get the added structure, plus, in my case, I used sheet styro to line the space between the drawer and casing for insulation and energy efficiency. BTW - the "roof" of the casing has been sawn out.

I did learn to be very careful selecting plastic goods. Cheap brands use cheap polymers or thin walls that will crack or shatter sometimes. So I went with expensive brands and looked for designs with reinforced lines, as water exerts a lot of force on a wall and floor. I personally don't worry about plasticizers in a top brand product. LDPE, HDPE (low or high density polyethylene), polypropylene, and polycarbonate are the plastics to look for. LDPE, HDPE, and polypropylene are milky clear. Polycarbonate is clear. If a plastic container is glass clear, fairly cheap, and doesn't claim on the label to be made of polycarbonate, steer clear, as those non-polycarbonate clear resins (often acrylic) are prone to shatter under stress.

My systems use central water in, central drain out plan. There are many ways to do this. To spoon feed the details wouldn't be sporting or help you exercise your lateral thinking, and it depends on your other infrastructure and budget too, anyway.

I will add that all my systems are through GFCI power. I have other safety nets, too, that come into play when one starts to get a number of tanks set up. (sump pumps, water alarms, power back-ups, etc.)
Old 01-29-2011, 02:58 PM   #44
zyn1
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

real mad lab!
zyn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:15 AM   #45
soundgy
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to soundgy

Would you mind posting more wide shots of your room (different angles) and some more closeups of your tanks? Please!
soundgy is offline   Reply With Quote