I just cant get enough of autodosers - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 01-21-2011, 10:20 PM   #16
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Majstor76, congratulations! Your project has been featured on Hack A Day:

http://hackaday.com/2011/01/21/ferti...ener-hardware/
DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2011, 10:01 AM   #17
majstor76
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCobra View Post
Majstor76, congratulations! Your project has been featured on Hack A Day:

http://hackaday.com/2011/01/21/ferti...ener-hardware/
Yes! My genius has finnaly been recognised
majstor76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2011, 03:57 PM   #18
gregjonesonline

I saw your auto-doser on hackaday, watched the video on youtube, read your thread here, and decided this was exactly the type of project i wanted to do next, so thanks for the awesome idea!!!

I went to Walmart and found the AirWick Freshmatic Ultra: http://www.airwick.us/access/html/pr...t_A000230.html

I also picked up a slim push pump soap, and probably the most exciting part of all, I found a Universal AC Adapter which has a voltage selector to emulate a wide range of batteries, from 3 - 12 volts DC / 600mA. I haven't had a chance to play with my supplies yet, but here is a picture of what the AC adapter looks like ... think it will work?

Front

Back

hope that helps!!
gregjonesonline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2011, 05:11 PM   #19
majstor76
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregjonesonline View Post
I also picked up a slim push pump soap, and probably the most exciting part of all, I found a Universal AC Adapter which has a voltage selector to emulate a wide range of batteries, from 3 - 12 volts DC / 600mA. I haven't had a chance to play with my supplies yet, but here is a picture of what the AC adapter looks like ... think it will work?

Front

Back

hope that helps!!
I was going to borrow similar adapter from frend to see if it works, do report your findings. I was trying before with cellular charger of 5-6V and about 400mA but motor wouldnt budge. 600mA seems still kinda low. I dont know whats the safe voltage which circuits can receive without damage but i think if on 6V it doesnt work that it needs more amps
Old 01-22-2011, 06:30 PM   #20
gregjonesonline

From what I have read and see, the AirWick Freshmatic takes 2 Alkaline AA batteries in Series. Here is a description of series vs parallel: http://www.zbattery.com/Connecting-B...es-or-Parallel

Each AA (Alkaline) is 1.5 volts, so 2 in parallel is 3.0 volts
Each AA (Alkaline) is 27002900 mAh or 2.7 - 2.9 Amps, and in parallel this remains the same.
At 2700 mAh the batteries can provide 2.7 Amps over 1 hour before they die, and we know that the motor lasts more than an hour because the packaging says "lasts up to 60 days"

The AC adapter i picked up is 3 - 12 volts, so i'll set it at 3 volts to emulate 2 AA batteries. It's also 600 mA, and i can't really change that, but lesser adapters are only 500 mA, so i think my current will be more than fine.
gregjonesonline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2011, 07:11 PM   #21
majstor76
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregjonesonline View Post
The AC adapter i picked up is 3 - 12 volts, so i'll set it at 3 volts to emulate 2 AA batteries. It's also 600 mA, and i can't really change that, but lesser adapters are only 500 mA, so i think my current will be more than fine.
Well , theres only one way to find out... In meantime, im testing how long rechargable batteries can hold. Iv set timer to 9 min and will see. If it holds long enough to not be a burden to change the too often then maybe adapters would not be needed at all.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:12 PM   #22
marek

Nice hack :-), but I have two questions:
1. AFAIK you used built-in airwick time-based (time selectable by a switch) mechanism. This devices have internal squirts counter for "detecting" empty spray, when counter reach programmed limit (is notified by fast led flashing) device stops "pushing" until you press manual release button (it just reset the counter). Did you had any problem with that?

2. Did you test it only when dispenser is at the same water level in the tank (or a bit above)? I wonder if that will work when device is located below the tank with long "out" hose (about 1.5 meters) to the tank. I guess when fluid will flow slowly backwards (becouse of pump's leak) to the pump between squirts it will be unable get strict doses...
marek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2011, 10:11 PM   #23
majstor76
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by marek View Post
Nice hack :-), but I have two questions:
1. AFAIK you used built-in airwick time-based (time selectable by a switch) mechanism. This devices have internal squirts counter for "detecting" empty spray, when counter reach programmed limit (is notified by fast led flashing) device stops "pushing" until you press manual release button (it just reset the counter). Did you had any problem with that?
I have never encountered such behaviour and have emptied few cans of spray on it in the past. This device is old few years, maybe new versions of devices have such thing but not old ones?

Quote:
2. Did you test it only when dispenser is at the same water level in the tank (or a bit above)? I wonder if that will work when device is located below the tank with long "out" hose (about 1.5 meters) to the tank. I guess when fluid will flow slowly backwards (becouse of pump's leak) to the pump between squirts it will be unable get strict doses...
I have tested only with a pump on same level as water, ill do the test with long hose tommorow
Old 01-22-2011, 10:27 PM   #24
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by majstor76 View Post
I have never encountered such behaviour and have emptied few cans of spray on it in the past. This device is old few years, maybe new versions of devices have such thing but not old ones?
I did find what appeared to be two versions of this dispenser online, with different electronics.

If the counter is an issue, it may be just a matter of routing the output to the LED to the input for the reset button. Light goes on and it thinks the button's been pressed. Might need a simple transistor switch to reverse the polarity, I don't know.

I wish I had one to experiment on now. And I am kicking myself remembering all of these I've seen at garage sales for $1.00 or less. One had four for sale.
DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2011, 07:33 AM   #25
majstor76
Planted Tank Obsessed

And in the other news, it seems im just a copy cat

http://www.wattreport.com/2008/12/di...sol-spraycans/

BTW, mine device looks just like that in the link (well , outer shell at least) so if anyone is buying maybe it should find device like that and maybe therse no advanced electronics in it.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:24 AM   #26
majstor76
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have started a test with output container on 180cm up from pump. But i have put check valve maybe 20 cm downstream from pump
Old 01-24-2011, 08:22 AM   #27
majstor76
Planted Tank Obsessed

One guy at croatian forum had also good idea to use IR battery soap dispenser

He cut wires for IR and instead of batteries he used 4.5 DC adapter connected to timer. Every powering on drops about 2.5 ml of liquid.
These dispensers can be found for 10$ on Bay
Old 01-28-2011, 10:25 AM   #28
marek

Quote:
Originally Posted by majstor76 View Post
I have started a test with output container on 180cm up from pump. But i have put check valve maybe 20 cm downstream from pump
So, what about the results?
marek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2011, 05:11 PM   #29
majstor76
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
So, what about the results?
I had a leak between blue hose and pump noozle so i had to fix that. Ill start again with test soon
Old 04-28-2011, 07:58 PM   #30
majstor76
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well, i tested capability of wickpump to pump water on higher level (1.5 meter) and its a no go. It cant pump so high , so pump must be about on level of end of hose.
Currently im using wickpump for fertilizing hydroponics setup and its working nice. No AC/DC power, just batteries but dont feel i need power adapter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.