RMS AquaCulture still around? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Ohio

Old 01-03-2011, 03:04 AM   #16
problemman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (43/100%)

the CRS did look pretty nice i was there just a few days ago and got a few things. if your looking for a nice store that is private owned i like something fishy on state rd. its 11 minutes away and dave is a great guy to deal with!!!! i will be going back up there soon for sure!
I sell plants but not green thumbs, sorry.
problemman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2011, 11:54 PM   #17
Krayz5183
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

i just called rms to see what they have for shrimp before i go up tommorow and they have like 7 different kinds they named off...some i dont know what they are...he said one is green with a red tail??? not sure what that one is....sold out of crystals ..so much for gettiing a few more
Krayz5183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:56 AM   #18
justin182
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (56/100%)

I bet they will get some more of the crs. They can make quite some fortune off them.
justin182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:31 AM   #19
Java Moss
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have a love-hate thing for RMS. I'll go nowhere else but there when it comes to healthy fish. Every fish I've gotten from there is still alive after a couple ich attacks and a bout with fungus.

But when it comes to hardware, they want your first born for typical stuff you can find just about anywhere else. Then it's time to stop in at Dave's...aka Something Fishy Inc. He's got the good stuff for a respectable price.
The longer I'm involved in this hobby the more & more I'm convinced that Bio-Type species tanks are the way to go. Plants and fish/inverts live together in nature for a reason. I find the less I try to fight nature the better my tanks look.

- DogFish 1.24.12
Java Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:59 AM   #20
Armonious
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Glad to see that RMS is expanding it's shrimp variety. They have been my LFS since I have been in the hobby, and I can remember them only havinng ghost shrimp for the longest time.

I have never been terribly impressed with the plant selection, but I suppose it is alright. I always check it out when I am there, but I have never bought anything from it. I was acutally talking to a manager at one point about the possibilty of setting up a more complex planted tank (they have one typically), and he seemed pretty into it. I don't what that means, but I would be glad if they did expand to have better plant variety.
Armonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:47 AM   #21
Java Moss
Planted Member

Picked up a couple shrimp from RMS just last Sunday. The lady who got them for me was really cute too! Not that matters, but she did know her stuff; explaining that amano shrimp aren't always named as such. I just stood there pretending I wasn't looking and saying "derp-derp-derp, okay, two shrimp in the bag, thank you very much" while she explained amano shrimp descriptions. Ha.
The longer I'm involved in this hobby the more & more I'm convinced that Bio-Type species tanks are the way to go. Plants and fish/inverts live together in nature for a reason. I find the less I try to fight nature the better my tanks look.

- DogFish 1.24.12
Old 01-26-2011, 02:53 AM   #22
Java Moss
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armonious View Post
I was acutally talking to a manager at one point about the possibilty of setting up a more complex planted tank (they have one typically), and he seemed pretty into it. I don't what that means, but I would be glad if they did expand to have better plant variety.
I've never seen any plants for sale there. But that planted 125 they have off to the side in a dark area seems to be doing pretty eff'ing good without any CO2 treatment. What gives? I don't know.

- DogFish 1.24.12
Old 01-26-2011, 04:34 AM   #23
justin182
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Moss View Post
I've never seen any plants for sale there. But that planted 125 they have off to the side in a dark area seems to be doing pretty eff'ing good without any CO2 treatment. What gives? I don't know.

Plants' on the rack behind where they keep the shrimps, opposite to the salt water fish! Not that they have a whole lot, but once in a while, they have some interesting ones that I don't have.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:03 PM   #24
Java Moss
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin182 View Post
Plants' on the rack behind where they keep the shrimps, opposite to the salt water fish! Not that they have a whole lot, but once in a while, they have some interesting ones that I don't have.
Thanks for the tip! Will check out.

- DogFish 1.24.12
Old 01-30-2011, 04:11 PM   #25
Loligo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Loligo

RMS definitely has a decent variety of fish, plants are so-so depending on how long they've been there.

But I don't agree with their selling of alligators or the unsuitable conditions they keep their reptiles in though (not that they're any worse than other pet stores). I wish they only sold fish/inverts and such.
Loligo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:23 AM   #26
Armonious
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

I agree with you Loligo. They do some things that don't make much sense to me, but overall, it is by far the best LFS near me. I really wish they carried the Eheim line of canisters, as well as some other aspects of equipment that are typical among our types, but I suppose you can't have everything you want.

I am hoping to talk to them when I get the chance to get back up in Cleveland about setting up a high tech planted tank. I've casually mentioned it with a couple of the managers, and they seem open to it. No one there has incredible knowledge about high tech tanks there, so I would help out and come in and do maintaince for a while with a couple of employees/ a manager. Then eventually, they could do the maintaince themselves.

I really like the idea because a nice aquascaped tank would raise their plant sales in all likelihood, which would increase the quality of the plants that they are able to carry, which would in turn likely plant sales. You get the picture from here. Besides, who doesn't want their LFS to have a really cool planted tank?
Armonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:02 AM   #27
Burks
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Just stopped by RMS. My observations by "category":

Marine - Slim pickings. Most of their coral was either low end or stuff 90% of people can't keep alive. It was fairly sad.

FW Fish - Great selection, tons of good sales. I bought 6 Black Coolie Loaches for $10. They had a lot of 3 for $5 sales. Cory Hasboras 5 for $10. Neons were $0.50 each. So forth. I really wanted some of the GBR's but a lot of them had fin deformities and damage, something I didn't want to deal with. They had a few really nice ones but I couldn't pick out any females, they were just too tiny.

FW Inverts - Poor selection except for the large amount of Assassin snails for $3.50.

Plants - Eh......so-so.

Equip - They had a lot of the new Fluval substrates. Kind of expensive but for a 20g long and under, easily affordable! Just don't try a big tank at $48 a big bag!
Filstar Pimp #84
Burks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:38 PM   #28
justin182
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burks View Post
FW Fish - Great selection, tons of good sales. I bought 6 Black Coolie Loaches for $10. They had a lot of 3 for $5 sales. Cory Hasboras 5 for $10. Neons were $0.50 each. So forth. I really wanted some of the GBR's but a lot of them had fin deformities and damage, something I didn't want to deal with. They had a few really nice ones but I couldn't pick out any females, they were just too tiny.

I tried to google Cory Hasboras and couldn't find anything. Do you mean Cory Habrosus?
Old 03-12-2011, 01:41 PM   #29
Burks
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin182 View Post
I tried to google Cory Hasboras and couldn't find anything. Do you mean Cory Habrosus?
Hadn't slept in 24 hours, my apologies.

You are correct!
Filstar Pimp #84
Burks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:09 PM   #30
Mishmosh
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)

I swear, this store is so variable. The freshwater selection was poor this time around. Not sure why they had a huge tank full of largemouth bass for sale. Seems to me that market would be small and you can easily catch your own around these parts. The plant quality was shockingly poor with algae covering just about everything. Their shrimp selection was sparse. Filter and supply prices were through the roof.

I want to support my LFS but RMS leaves me scratching my head more often than not. It is a shame they are one of the few non-chain LFS around.
Mishmosh is offline   Reply With Quote