2.5 minibow -lighting idea?!?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 02-12-2005, 02:04 PM   #1
Creedog
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

2.5 minibow -lighting idea?!?

I picked up a 2.5g minibow for my desk at work since I sit there for about 10 hrs a day. Firgured I could have something to look at.

Amyway, picked up a screw in cf bulb from walmart (6500k) and I am not sure if it is bright enough (for my tastes) it does not seems to cast light evenly throughout the entire tank. The screw in fixture positions the bulb to one side of the tank, basically.

Ok, so I start reading online and find that the lighting fixture is basically two sided, (screw in on either side) but you cant see it as there is a cover in the way. Basically its possible to put another bulb in this thing, but its got to be really small as there is not alot of room.

So I find this link Mini bulbs .

Anyone modify the 2,5 gallon minibow, or utilize the extra socket, I am going to get a measurement and see if I can fit one of these things in there,
Creedog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2005, 09:35 PM   #2
Creedog
Planted Member

Hello (tap, tap), is this thing on?
Old 02-14-2005, 12:56 AM   #3
Osteomata
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Just so you dont feel alone and unloved Im answering. hehe. Just so Im clear, you put a 15 watt cf screw in in the exposed socket, and are gonna try to put another one in the hidden socket? My reading on this site and others indicates the experienced people are pretty down on the spiral bulbs, but if you can fit that extra mini fl in there, I would think you would have a heck of a lot of light for that little tank. Have you ahd a chance to measure it yet?

Let me ask this: since you are gonna do some modification to the hood already, have you considered moving the existing socket farther to one side, replacing it if necessary, and putting in one longer, non-spiraled cf bulb with higher wattage?
Osteomata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2005, 01:13 AM   #4
Creedog
Planted Member

Right now I have a 10 watt 6500k bulb. I think that i need to stay under 15watts (per instructions) , and I do not think that I can fit a fat bulb in there. (need to look tommorrow). Also the proper color temp is hard to find (Whats the lowest that I can go?).

To be honest the bulb is not that bad that I have in there, just need to get the light even throughout the tank.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:50 AM   #5
mpa90
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

They use alot of these tanks for sw reefs. You might want to check out www.nano-reef.com for more lighting ideas.
mpa90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.