Texas Proposal Could Stop Trade in Dozens of Aquarium Plants - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 01-11-2011, 03:25 AM   #16
RipariumGuy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

I have to agree with the govornment that this is a problem that should be fixed, but banning these plants like this is very over reaching. The majority of the plants that would be banned that are popular among aquarists could, I believe adapt and thrive in Texas and other states, but completely banning them is not the way to go, as it is very unfare to the many who have kept plants responsibly. Why not have a cheap plant license? Where the plant purchaser would have to read sign something that makes them aware of the danger they pose and "makes" them agree to never release them into the wild.

But then again, there will always be the bad apple who will not listen.
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
RipariumGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2011, 03:43 AM   #17
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (143/100%)

Aw geez I posted that other thread so that that link that I found could be easy to find right up at the top, but it got subsumed into this thread. Anyway, here again is that link...

International Waterlily and Water Gardening Society: New Texas Aquatic Plant Law

This law will be very bad for the aquarium plant hobby. And you have to wonder about their scientific rigor. If you look through their lists of approved and banned species several of their selections seem arbitrary at best.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011, 03:49 AM   #18
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
They grow slowly in your tank, not necessarily out in the wild, emersed.
The proposal is not for emersed forms of plants, it is for aquatic plants.
Although, for some strange reason they managed to get a few terrestrial plants in an Aquatic plant list. I do not think someone is doing their homework.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeJ View Post
I have to agree with the govornment that this is a problem that should be fixed, but banning these plants like this is very over reaching. The majority of the plants that would be banned that are popular among aquarists could, I believe adapt and thrive in Texas and other states, but completely banning them is not the way to go, as it is very unfare to the many who have kept plants responsibly. Why not have a cheap plant license? Where the plant purchaser would have to read sign something that makes them aware of the danger they pose and "makes" them agree to never release them into the wild.

But then again, there will always be the bad apple who will not listen.
the money being spent on this "white list" would be better spent on education of people wishing to care for these plants. I bet if you go and ask 10 people only a couple would know that this could potentially cause a problem. It is akin to banning driving because people get in accidents, instead of teaching people how to drive responsibly.

I would not doubt that Colorado would try to adapt this list, even though about 99% of these plants would die in our waters as soon as the first snow fell.
Noahma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011, 04:11 AM   #19
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

What better way to encourage advocates for the environment than by cutting off contact with nature.

This law is a bad idea.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:34 AM   #20
RipariumGuy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
the money being spent on this "white list" would be better spent on education of people wishing to care for these plants. I bet if you go and ask 10 people only a couple would know that this could potentially cause a problem. It is akin to banning driving because people get in accidents, instead of teaching people how to drive responsibly.
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
RipariumGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011, 01:25 PM   #21
ukamikazu
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)
Exclamation

Meetings start today, guys. It doesn't matter how old you are or where you live, please send in those letters, e-mails and phone calls of support to the State House. This may influence your state in the future!

Thank you!
"You are much better off with no numbers than meaningless ones. The minute you believe numbers uncritically, that is, without understanding how they're calculated and how well they measure whatever they're supposed to measure, you will generate a breed of employee who will produce numbers and not results. Your data-processing system will then serve not to describe reality but to lie about it."

-Micheal S. Montalbano
ukamikazu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011, 04:54 PM   #22
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

I just spoke with Earl Chilton, TPWD's Exotic Vegetation Program Manager. He is a friendly and reasonable guy. You can find his phone number and email on this page...

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/newsmedia/releases/?req=20101229b

Here are a few points that I raised.
  • As they are, the new rules will prohibit trade in Texas of most aquarium plants.
  • The new rules will discourage hobbyists and significantly impact the planted aquarium industry.
  • A fish tank in the home, office or school might be the only daily contact with nature for many city dwellers, working people and children.
  • A number of the inclusions in both the banned species list and the list of approved species seem to be arbitrarily or hastily assembled.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:02 PM   #23
barbarossa4122
Wannabe Guru

Does this mean that the over $3k I have spend so far goes to waste ?
Old 01-11-2011, 05:04 PM   #24
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Earl Chilton told me that TPWD welcomes comments on this matter, so please call, write or email today.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #25
barbarossa4122
Wannabe Guru

If those j..ks made up their minds I, don't think it will matter what ever we do.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:30 PM   #26
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Please call, write and/or email today!
Old 01-11-2011, 05:32 PM   #27
barbarossa4122
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Please call, write and/or email today!
I will.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:59 PM   #28
OverStocked
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
The proposal is not for emersed forms of plants, it is for aquatic plants.
Although, for some strange reason they managed to get a few terrestrial plants in an Aquatic plant list. I do not think someone is doing their homework.

I would not doubt that Colorado would try to adapt this list, even though about 99% of these plants would die in our waters as soon as the first snow fell.
The regulations effect specific species of plants, NOT distinquishing whether they are emersed or submersed. Emersed aquatic plants are still aquatic plants.
OverStocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #29
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

The rules affect every kind of aquatic plant, including fully aquatic species and plants that grow as emergent marginals.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:08 PM   #30
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)

How do they even know about Hygrophila pinnatifida? As far as I know, it is going for about $20-$40 a stem right now! I almost wish it was invasive right now, then I can make lots of $$$. Some of those plants are rare, most only experienced people keep. Maybe if they were to simply make it so you have to pay a $10 fee to get a permit and watch a video that would at least not ruin LFS's and honest people who BURN their invasive plants. I know that most of you may think $10 for a permit and having to watch a video may not sound fun, but what if you can't get even that? What if you can't keep plants at all? We can't even keep a stem of a plant that isn't invasive in either the aquarium or in the wild....

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran

Last edited by sewingalot; 01-11-2011 at 11:19 PM.. Reason: no drug references please
Da Plant Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.