the best test kit?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 01-07-2011, 07:55 PM   #1
sepehr
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

the best test kit?

I know there isn't a perfect test kit outhere but what's the most reliable one? I was using the Red Sea test kit called Fresh Lab Deluxe which included low & high PH range, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, GH, KH, Fe, CO2 and I bought the Phosphate test kit separately from the same brand. I'm afraid they're already outdated and LFS doesn't carry the Red Sea brand anymore so I'm looking for another test kit? Any suggestions?

TIA
sepehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2011, 08:13 PM   #2
BradC
Planted Tank Obsessed

api
BradC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:45 PM   #3
Powchekny
Planted Tank Obsessed

I like the API test kits as well. Not too expensive, and accurate enough for home aquarium use.

The only thing I dislike are the cheap glass test tubes they package with their kits. They're so thin and fragile that I have to assume they're intended to break and cause you to buy a new kit. (or at least another API test tube)

I've been using the plastic vials that came with my Tetra Laborett test kit after my cat broke most of my API vials.

Tom
Powchekny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:22 PM   #4
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

As mentioned, the API test kits work fine for our hobby-related purposes.

If you want to "upscale" end test kits, LaMotte is the way to go (but they are pricey).

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:36 PM   #5
smackpixi
Algae Grower

There are, somewhere on the internet, posts and websites about calibrating your test kit. You create known acids, bases, amounts of nitrates, etc...and see how your test kit reacts to them. Then, even if it's off, you know how much it's off.
smackpixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:46 PM   #6
BradC
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackpixi View Post
There are, somewhere on the internet, posts and websites about calibrating your test kit. You create known acids, bases, amounts of nitrates, etc...and see how your test kit reacts to them. Then, even if it's off, you know how much it's off.
There is actually a sticky in the Fertilizers and Water Parameters forum on this site by Hoppy. It shows you how to calibrate Phosphate and Nitrate test kits.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fe...-chemists.html
BradC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:08 PM   #7
sepehr
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powchekny View Post
I like the API test kits as well. Not too expensive, and accurate enough for home aquarium use.

The only thing I dislike are the cheap glass test tubes they package with their kits. They're so thin and fragile that I have to assume they're intended to break and cause you to buy a new kit. (or at least another API test tube)

I've been using the plastic vials that came with my Tetra Laborett test kit after my cat broke most of my API vials.

Tom
LOL, your cat probably gets too jealous coz youre spending too much time testing your tank's water parameters and not spending enough time with him. By the way is Tetra Laborett any good?
Old 01-08-2011, 07:09 PM   #8
sepehr
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradC View Post
There is actually a sticky in the Fertilizers and Water Parameters forum on this site by Hoppy. It shows you how to calibrate Phosphate and Nitrate test kits.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fe...-chemists.html
Im on it thanks
Old 01-08-2011, 07:10 PM   #9
sepehr
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackpixi View Post
I see, it makes sense
Old 12-03-2012, 12:33 AM   #10
maxtcee
Algae Grower

I just ordered this one it has all test in one and price isn't thatbad considering each test cost around 15-25$

http://www.amazon.com/Nutrafin-Maste.../dp/B0002568FO
maxtcee is offline   Reply With Quote