10g, lights and co2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 01-03-2011, 11:48 AM   #1
Cottagewitch
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

10g, lights and co2

I picked up a 10g at the Petco sale yesterday. If I go medium light, would Excel suffice or would I need to go with co2? What if I went high light? Excel or does the higher light require co2? (Any co2 would have to be DIY.)
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2011, 12:19 PM   #2
FBG
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

CO2 helps no matter what kind of lighting you have in my opinion.
FBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:40 PM   #3
Cottagewitch
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Alright...I'm opting for the high light set up. Single T5HO bulb about 4 inches above the water. According to Hoppy's chart, that makes it high light. I'll go with the DIY CO2. Now to choose a substrate!
Old 01-03-2011, 09:24 PM   #4
non_compliance
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)

You could have good luck with that setup... just make sure that you have good diffusion for the co2... I always put my tube just under the intake of a powerhead... each bubble would get chopped into a fine mist.. Worked pretty well, even on my 65g tank...

For substrate, if you are on a budget, go with something like turface or any other calcined clay baseball field surfacer... you could also use oil dry, but I have heard mixed results. (be sure to rinse both VERY well)

If budget is not a concern, I would recommend ADA aquasoil.. alternatively, I see there is a forum member here in the SnS selling Mr. Aqua brand substrate... that stuff looks pretty decent to me.

What are you going to dose fert wise? What are you intending to plant?

My tank journals 65 Gallon Long & 33 gal
non_compliance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:05 PM   #5
Cottagewitch
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm using Amazonia in my Picotope and really like it. My lfs only carries activ-flora so if I go aquasoil again I'd have to order it. I might look at some of the options you mentioned. I haven't decided on any plants. I'm open to suggestions as always.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:37 PM   #6
Cottagewitch
Planted Tank Enthusiast

*bangs head on desk*

I've been calling around to the box pet stores to see what substrates are locally available. Everyone has gravel and sand. One place actually had brown fluorite. But one guy actually said, "Gravel IS the optimum planting medium." (sigh)
Old 01-03-2011, 11:27 PM   #7
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

haha, substrate can be a pain to select sometimes.
I recommend you buy some Miracle Gro's Organic Choice Potting Mix. Use that in your tank as the bottom layer, and then cover it with play sand. you would have to plant your plants right after you set down the potting mix, then cover with sand.
The soil will provide your root-feeding plants with enough fertilizer to carpet your tank and grow very well. The soil also to some extent will supply carbon for the plants that have access to it (once again root feeding plants)

If you are going with 2.5wpg or more, i would recommend you do not only excel but DIY CO2 like you planned. go easy on the excel once your DIY CO2 is running to avoid carbon overdose.(not sure if its entirely possible, but its best to be safe)

I had a 10 gal high light iwagumi setup once, but it crashed after a while. they key thing I was missing is constant CO2 injection(I was lazy about changing by DIY reactor bottles lol)So just make sure you regularly replace them to keep your CO2 levels constant. I attached a pic of what it was like before it took a turn for the worse. I used eco complete substrate there and had 4.8wpg of T5HO light. without CO2 it was disaster lol. But like I said, the soil with sand substrate will work really well too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	goldifhs 042.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	26264  

Newman is offline   Reply With Quote