Rapid Development, 210 Gallon
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-03-2011, 02:13 AM   #1
houstonhobby
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Rapid Development, 210 Gallon

I know a lot of people on this forum will plan for months before embarking on a new tank and I totally respect that but it is just not me. This tank is a Christmas present from my wife, she found it on Wednesday, it was delivered on Friday, and the plants went in on Sunday. I have to get back to work, and that means 11 hour days, tomorrow morning, so the tank has to be essentially done before then.

No fish for about a month though. I want to let it get settled in first.

I had my heart set on a 265 but it would have cost about 1500 more and, the real killer, I would have had to wait 6 weeks to get it. My 125 was just painfully stuffed with plants, I couldn't see the fish anymore, and I was eager to move. This tank is a foot shorter in length and an inch shorter in height. I miss the foot a bit but the inch I can give up. It is very hard to plant something at the back of this tank.

The substrate has three levels. (1) bottom is the EcoComplete and sand mix from my old 55 gallon. (2) next layer is 150 lbs of Turface MVP, unwashed, (3) top layer is 100 lbs of plain play sand, unwashed. This stuff is incredibly dusty, which explains why the tank is not clear yet. I was very careful not to disturb the substrate when filling the tank.

The hardscape consists of a couple of large rounded gray granite stones, plus some smaller gray granite stones.

The plants all came from my old 55 and my existing 125, which now needs a major rescape, when I have time. At least now I can see the fish.

The pile of stones at the back (top in this picture) is where the intake and outflow for one filter is located.

The tank was setup for a reef. The LFS took out the overflows, leaving me with four 40 mm holes in the bottom of the tank. I connected up two Fx5's, one that had been on my 90 and a new one out of the box. The key to the rapid setup are these Eheim disconnects, which look exactly like the ones that came with the Eheim classic, but about 10 times bigger. I paid about $85 dollars a piece for these things, and you need four, but they made the whole thing go together super fast.

That is Eheim 25/34 mm tubing. This stuff has walls that are 4.5 mm thick, which gives a lot of confidence. When working with this tubing, a heat gun is handy. It is very stiff and bulling it on onto a connector is difficult even for me, and I work out at the gym pretty hard.

For lights I am using a hodge-podge of lights salvaged from previous projects, all HOT5. I have 10 2' tubes and 2 4' tubes.

A couple of massive swords. There is nothing to give scale here, but the tank is 24" wide and 29" deep.

Initially I will be injecting CO2 in a bell in the tank but eventually I will rig CO2, UV sterilization, and heaters into the plumbing beneath the tank and have no equipment in the tank at all.

Last edited by houstonhobby; 01-03-2011 at 04:41 PM..
houstonhobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2011, 02:28 AM   #2
problemman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (43/100%)

just a quick question....the layers of substrate, why did you choose to do it that way?

good start though im going to be following this
I sell plants but not green thumbs, sorry.
problemman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2011, 02:42 AM   #3
FDNY911
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Great tank man. I really like that type of footprint. Subscribed dude.

New Journal:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...20-gallon.html

Old Journal:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...en-down-4.html

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #461
Two 2217s and 2215.
FDNY911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2011, 02:48 AM   #4
SpankyMR2
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Looks great. Can't wait to see the progress.
SpankyMR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2011, 02:52 AM   #5
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (73/100%)

Nice! That substrate seems a bit deep...

Any planned stocking?

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Da Plant Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2011, 02:57 AM   #6
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (116/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemman View Post
just a quick question....the layers of substrate, why did you choose to do it that way?
I was wondering this too. Wouldn't it have been better to place the nutrient-rich substrate on the top or in the middle, as opposed to the bottom?

Anyway, it looks great so far. I like the river rocks.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:14 PM   #7
houstonhobby
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Thanks for all the comments.

Yes, the substrate is too deep. I was unprepared for how light and fluffy Turface MVP is. I bought four bags and used three. Two would have been sufficient. As a result, and in my haste, I ended up burying the return strainers. I had to dig them out and cover them with rip-rap to keep the substrate from smothering them. If it works, I like the look. I don't know if I will eventually have to raise the strainers higher.

No real defensible reason why the old substrate ended up on the bottom. The 55 had been setup for years so the store-bought nutrients in the EcoComplete were long gone. I wanted the old substrate in the tank as a bacteria source, and I thought that having some fine material on the bottom would encourage de-nitrification. (I am not afraid of aneorobic activity in my substrate. In fact, I like it. It is natural.)

The playsand is on the top because I like cories and may eventually have a school of them and the soft sand is good for their barbels. However, the turface, being so light, is already making it's way to the top so that may be a losing battle.

Thanks,
Rod
houstonhobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2011, 03:35 PM   #8
Cuchulainn
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

pretty exciting Christmas gift Rob. Looks good so far, 29" deep wow you must get soaked past your arm pit to plant in that tank! Chopsticks?
Gotta watch this one come together for sure-subscribed!
Cuchulainn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.