Need 10 gal advice/help
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 12-31-2010, 04:22 AM   #1
celine
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Question

Need 10 gal advice/help

well, i have no idea what to do. i have the tank all set up and planted, and the three sterbai corys are happy, now my mother is saying it looks boring, and that i need to put new fish in there. i'm hoping if i do as she says she'll like the tank so i won't have to take it with me to college next year....i'm reeeeally hoping! but i can't decide what to add! i'm going back and forth between green neons and ember tetras. i'm trying to find something small so the cories won't be overcrowded, and it is only a 10 gal, so there's an annoyingly small amount of space, and my parents are dead-set against letting me buy a larger tank.

does anyone have suggestions of what i can add? i'd like to keep it as a south american/amazon biotope tank to keep the cories comfortable (yes, i'm babying them, but they're too stinking cute!) and i don't want any fish that will breed like crazy and get my tank overstocked. oh, and my mother requires it to be colorful. (she's very fond of neon tetras, but i'm afraid that a shoal of them will be too crowded)

oh! also, anyone have any tips for how i can make it look better plant wise? i don't really like how it is right now. i was thinking of taking out the purple cabomba in the back right, it's just not looking happy (anybody think they can bring it back to life and want it? i hate to just throw it out and waste it). i think i'll move the amazon sword over to the left under the filter and move the corckscrew vals to the right. i'm probably going to take out the pennywort and replace with brazilian pennywort (i didn't know there was a difference when i bought it). idk what else to do from there...

sorry it's so ugly, this is my first ever planted tank, it's a learning process...

i really appreciate any help/advice!
celine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2010, 04:33 AM   #2
jacari
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

I have Rasboras and White Cloud's in my tank, I know it doesnt follow your Biotype but it's just an example of how completely different species can live in harmony. As for the look of your tank, I would advise you to add some type of hardscape. And also get rid of the sword plant. Small leafed plants such as most stems make tanks appear larger than they really are. Check the tank in my sig. Its a prime example
-Jacari
jacari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:36 AM   #3
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

A nice betta. Maybe a ct or a hm? That's what I have planned for my ten gallon- a betta, some Otis, and some schoolers.

You can call me Bob
orchidman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
amcoffeegirl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

add one paradise fish or a dwarf gourami
amcoffeegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:11 AM   #5
Pikachu
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

The substrate; IMO the pebbles looks too large for the tank.
Pikachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:07 PM   #6
celine
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacari View Post
I have Rasboras and White Cloud's in my tank, I know it doesnt follow your Biotype but it's just an example of how completely different species can live in harmony. As for the look of your tank, I would advise you to add some type of hardscape. And also get rid of the sword plant. Small leafed plants such as most stems make tanks appear larger than they really are. Check the tank in my sig. Its a prime example
-Jacari
i've been looking for driftwood, but it's hard to find good, small driftwood. i've also been wanting to get rid of the sword, but haven't gotten around to it. i love your tank, it's beautiful!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
A nice betta. Maybe a ct or a hm? That's what I have planned for my ten gallon- a betta, some Otis, and some schoolers.

You can call me Bob
haha well bob, i did put my betta in there...and he removed half of one of the cories dorsal fins...........he came out of there pretty fast. but for the short amount of time he was in there, he did look nice! lol he's a red vt

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcoffeegirl View Post
add one paradise fish or a dwarf gourami
those don't have to be kept in groups? also, gouramis are related to bettas, would i have the same situation as before mentioned? also, i think my mother wants to see a bunch, never mind the fact that it's a small tank. she doesn't quite understand stocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu View Post
The substrate; IMO the pebbles looks too large for the tank.
i knoooooooow!!! they've been bugging me forever! i had bought them before i really knew what i was doing with the tank, and now they're annoying! i'm going to a pet store tomorrow to look at fish and i'm hoping they'll have something like eco-complete or something. do you think i should go to sand? i was considering that for the cories, but that seems like it wouldn't be as good for the plants?

thanks for all the help guys! sorry for all these questions.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:27 PM   #7
DebbyS
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Work up a list of easy to care for fish that are also available, show you mom pictures, and let her pick, explaining that only X amount of any of them can actually fit well in the tank. I figure if you want her to care for the fish while you're away, it will be easier for her if the fish are not demanding. That way, like in any other hobby, she can work into more complex aquariums and fish if she wishes, but if she stays at a easy-care level, that's okay, too.

I have simple Head and Tail Light tetras in a 6G that are doing well and aren't afraid of me (they associate me with food). In my 10G I have Pygmy Cories and Glowlight (Glolite?) Tetras, which are nicely red and go well with foliage, which you have a lot of (like me). Currently, though, my PCs and Glows prefer to hide in back, which is really boring, and the Glows don't come up for food but none of them are skinny (the H&Ls know exactly where the food appears, on the surface).... Also black neon tetras are easy and interesting. Those are the only fish I know something about Oh, and I got at least half of the tetras early last year or the year before -- at, *gasp!*, Wal-Mart, and yet they survive...
DebbyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:22 PM   #8
celine
Algae Grower

well luckily (somewhat) my college's only 30 minutes away, so i'll still be coming home to take care of wcs and such, and there's no way my mother would ever get into aquariums. she's not a big hobby person.

wow, walmart fish! haha it's impressive that they've done so well! i like black neon tetras too, but they're not colorful enough for her highness, so, since she's so impressed with regular neons, i think i'll probably see if i can get some while petsmart has the 99c sale.