What should NitrAte levels be in my shrimp tank?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-01-2011, 04:17 PM   #1
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
Arrow

What should NitrAte levels be in my shrimp tank?

In my Fluval Ebi, which has been up for 2 weeks and one day, is stocked with 7-10 RCS, 2 CRS, 2 OEBT, 1 Amano, 1 BN Pleco, 2 Otos, and 1 Female Betta. Ammonia and Nitrite are fine. Nitrate is at 5-10, sometimes 15 ppm. Is this okay? And pH is 6.5. Are these params acceptable? Is the tank overstocked? When/if the BN Pleco outgrows the tank, he will be moved to my 29 Community. Thanks in advance, and happy new years!
Geniusdudekiran is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #2
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

CRS and OEBT will interbreed, betta will eat shrimp, pleco is a dirty animal for such a small tank (which is why you having nitrate issues)

Keep on top of your water changes!
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2011, 07:09 PM   #3
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Thanks for the optimistic reply Mordalphus. I WANT to see what the hybrid of the OEBT and CRS looks like. The Betta was tested for week and a half with cheap ghost shrimp and never touched one, and the Pleco is only an inch, and as I stated above, I will move him to another tank sometime in the (near) future. Thanks for the help. Hopefully someone else will supply me with a worthwhile answer. But again, thanks!
Old 01-01-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

No problem, master! Please keep in mind there's a search feature in this forum.

Here, I performed one for you and found you some information:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...-nitrates.html

Your faithful servant,
Mordalphus
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2011, 07:21 PM   #5
jasbolto
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Just because you don't like the answer he gave you does not mean it's not a realistic answer. Betta's will eat shrimp.
jasbolto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2011, 07:27 PM   #6
EKLiu
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)

15 ppm nitrate too high? Zero is probably ideal, but the guy is not raising King Kong shrimp. I have kept CRS in tanks with fish at 30 ppm nitrate and the shrimp do just fine.
EKLiu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2011, 07:32 PM   #7
barbarossa4122
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

I am not sure but, mine is always 20ppm and the rcs are doing just great. The colony keeps growing and growing.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:32 PM   #8
msnikkistar
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (105/94%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordalphus View Post
CRS and OEBT will interbreed, betta will eat shrimp, pleco is a dirty animal for such a small tank (which is why you having nitrate issues)

Keep on top of your water changes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geniusdudekiran View Post
Thanks for the optimistic reply Mordalphus. I WANT to see what the hybrid of the OEBT and CRS looks like. The Betta was tested for week and a half with cheap ghost shrimp and never touched one, and the Pleco is only an inch, and as I stated above, I will move him to another tank sometime in the (near) future. Thanks for the help. Hopefully someone else will supply me with a worthwhile answer. But again, thanks!
Well, unfortunately, there are a lot of people who do not know that CRS and OEBT interbreed. Therefore, Liam was just letting you know. But if your goal is to see what will happen when you cross, well then GO FOR IT! But just don't try and sell them without specifying that they have been crossed. People may get angry. lol

Even if you tested the betta with a ghost shrimp for a week, there is a huge difference between the sizing of a ghost shrimp versus cardinias and neos. 99% of bettas will hunt your shrimp down and eat them as a meal. So be prepared.

I do have to agree with Liam that your nitrates issues are from your BN pleco, and the fact that it sounds to be a fairly newly established tank. Chances are, it is not cycled yet, and you will experience nitrate and ammonia issues. But I don't think 5-10 is too high. Just watch it carefully.

With all that being said, these will be the standard answers you will receive in regards to your question from any of the shrimp people. If the answers are not satisfactory for you, then there is not much else that can be answered.

Have a happy new years!

msnikkistar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2011, 08:46 PM   #9
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Quote:
Originally Posted by msnikkistar View Post
I do have to agree with Liam that your nitrates issues are from your BN pleco, and the fact that it sounds to be a fairly newly established tank. Chances are, it is not cycled yet, and you will experience nitrate and ammonia issues. But I don't think 5-10 is too high. Just watch it carefully.
Actually, I had this going on before I got the Pleco like 4 days ago... And I check my params every morning and do an according water change. Sorry if I over reacted to you and Liam. Thanks, and BTW, love your tanks!
Old 01-01-2011, 08:53 PM   #10
msnikkistar
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (105/94%)

Yup, sounds like its because its just a new tank. Probably will even out eventually, and it may not. Just watch out for the ammonia spike that could potentially come. Doesn't mean it will, but it could.

Thanks

msnikkistar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2011, 09:20 PM   #11
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Quote:
Originally Posted by msnikkistar View Post
Yup, sounds like its because its just a new tank. Probably will even out eventually, and it may not. Just watch out for the ammonia spike that could potentially come. Doesn't mean it will, but it could.

Thanks
Great. Thanks. Big fan of your CRS tank BTW, been watching it for a while!

Tags
crs, ebi, fluval, oebt, rcs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.