Shrimp-Friendly Cichlid?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 12-25-2010, 08:59 PM   #1
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
Exclamation

Shrimp-Friendly Cichlid?

I was taking a look at this thread: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...m-journal.html. That's a great looking fish. I would love to have a ram or Apistogramma in my Fluval Ebi. Am I paranoid about fish with shrimp or is it normal? I want to add this beautiful Black Crowntail Betta from the LFS, but I'm not going to waste twenty bucks on $90+ dollars of shrimp. I will not be breeding the shrimp in this tank; I will be moving all of the berried shrimp to the 2.5 Gallon nano 6 inches away from it LOL. Then when the fry are large enough, I will move them back to the Ebi. Oh, and are CPOs compatible with shrimp? Thanks in advance and merry Christmas!
Geniusdudekiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2010, 11:10 PM   #2
Sharkfood
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Apistogramma will eat all the young, and possibly the adult shrimp. I keep mine with Amanos, which are much larger than CRS, etc. and they get chased around from time to time even.
Sharkfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:33 PM   #3
Cardinal Tetra
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (110/99%)

I've had crappy luck with 3 species: Dicrossus filamentosa, Apistogramma borelli, and Apistogramma cacatuoides. They were fine at first but then they learned that shrimp were tasty... I guess ymmv.

Unemployed, poor, and still living off the parents.
Cardinal Tetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:08 AM   #4
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Chichlids and shrimp are like water and oil, they will not mix. Betta and shrimp will not be a good combo either. both view shrimp as food. you could put some chili rasbora with shrimp, or some threadfin rainbows, but in tanks that small I would not put anything bigger than that. Dario Dario might be ok with the adults, although they will eat shrimp babies and will actively hunt them out.
Noahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 01:48 AM   #5
StygianSteel
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I keep my Bolivian Ram with Amanos with zero issues but I wouldn't try it with CRS. I can't think of any cichlid that I'd consider safe with smaller shrimp. They're bound to become food.

Oh and CPOs will devour them.
StygianSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 01:49 AM   #6
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

CPOs are fine with shrimp, they're very slow
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:35 PM   #7
LedxZep
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Ah I see you found my thread . It really does depend on the individual fish I took a big gamble putting a ram into a small tank with dozens of shrimp but luckily mine turned out to be docile. Also if you do plan on taking the risk, keep in mind keeping him well fed and satisfied with meals will most likely doubles your success in keeping the two together.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:16 PM   #8
tadpole2
Algae Grower

not sure if this will be any use to you, but...
i keep amoured shrimp and amano shrimp with GBR's...and ive never had a single problem, i still have all my shrimp alive and well.
...just thort i'd add me say
tadpole2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:26 PM   #9
tadpole2
Algae Grower

i have also kept crystal white shrimp, and red nosed shrimp/rhino shrimp as their better known.
and again these were kept with GBR's
tadpole2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:01 AM   #10
Kunsthure
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

My Dario Dario is oblivious to the shrimp in the tank. That fish lives in its own little world, completely clueless that anyone else lives with him for the most part. He will follow the pygmy corys around and eat their eggs as they spawn. But he doesn't seem to know that he should eat shrimp. He spends a lot of time around their main hang out and no one is afraid of him.

I keep the Dario, green-eyed rasboras and pygmy corys with the shrimp in my 13g. I have kept platys, mollies, black harlies, peppered corys, guppies and even a CT betta with my RCS without a problem. But I wouldn't trust anything bigger, especially not a cichlid.

I don't have first-hand experience, but I've read that CPOs will eat shrimplettes and adults sometimes. I don't want to take the risk so I've never kept them together.

-Lisa
Old 12-27-2010, 04:42 PM   #11
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)

I would keep RCS in with my apisto(s) (sadly, my female died, I plan on adding another). They seem docile enough, however, like most fish, they will eat the young, but not enough to bring the population down. I think you would be fine to add RCS, amanos, and larger shrimp. I would not do any CRS or tigers just because of their price range and how they are small. If you can get some RCS for a low price or you have them in another tank, I would add a few and see what happens.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Da Plant Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:43 PM   #12
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)

I just saw that this was about a fluval ebi...No cichlid will fit. CPO's are nice, never had them so I can't say.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Da Plant Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:35 PM   #13
EntoCraig
Planted Tank Guru

My Rams and Apistos ate all the Cherry shrimp in my tanks. I have seen betas eat shrimp also. However I have kept adult Amano Shrimp with both Rams and Apistos without any problems.
EntoCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:06 AM   #14
!shadow!
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

l think the trick is to introduce the rams while they are still small that way they grow up together and not see them as prey.

!shadow! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:29 PM   #15
EntoCraig
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by !shadow! View Post
l think the trick is to introduce the rams while they are still small that way they grow up together and not see them as prey.
I dont know, my Apisto Fry/Juvies will start eating them as soon as they can fit one in their mouth ... Not sure if Rams are the same or not.
EntoCraig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apisto, apistogramma, ebi, ram, rcs