Male Plakat Sold As Female? Or Just An Aggressive Female? - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 09-28-2010, 05:27 PM   #31
speedie408
ShrimpKeeprExtraordinaire

PTrader: (391/100%)

Price has come down in the past few years on wild bettas. There's more and more breeders who are pumping out babies from some of these wild strains like rabbits. It's not Splendens cheap but alot more afordable than years past, that's for sure. Tank raised wild bettas are also more resilient to disease than their wild caught counterparts so that makes it alot easier to keep these fish now as well.

Sorry for going OT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan900 View Post
Why are they more rewarding?

Swan
Check out my 120-P (2nd to last page) in my sig. You'll see the "King of Bettas" there.
speedie408 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2010, 09:59 PM   #32
Swan900
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

I like your wild Betta speedie. But me and Luke20037 were discussing it today and we were both adament it would be near enough impossible to get them here in the UK. Its a shame Wont stop me looking know, because you never know one might crop up at a decent LFS.

But if there tank bred how can they still be called wild? How many generations do they have to be before they are counted as not wild? Or is the term 'wild' just used as a common name for that type of betta?

Swan

** Fluval Pimp #21 **

17 Gallon Planted Room Tank
6.3 Gallon Planted Nano
Swan900 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2010, 10:10 PM   #33
luke20037
Planted Tank Enthusiast

To answer a previous post obviously the answer was to remove the offending fish and problem solved. This still doesn't answer the main question of male or female there must be a way of 100% knowing whether it's male or female?
luke20037 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2010, 11:05 PM   #34
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

I have no idea about the availability in the UK, but here in the USA at least the prices are dropping by the month. So it's definitely worth taking a look... any fish clubs or do your LFSs work with any reputable importers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan900 View Post
But if there tank bred how can they still be called wild? How many generations do they have to be before they are counted as not wild? Or is the term 'wild' just used as a common name for that type of betta?

Swan
The issue isn't really whether they're F1 or F10- but whether or not they've been crossed with domesticated bettas resulting in the super-aggressive domesticated genes. "True" wild Betta splendens are not nearly as aggressive as domesticated Betta splendens as they have not endured generation upon generation of breeding for sport fighting. Most domesticated bettas in the hobby today still come from those original Asian fighting lines... and the fighting "sport" unfortunately is still going strong in Asia.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2010, 11:13 PM   #35
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Does the fish in the first pic always have those stripes? To me they do look like stress stripes, and again I am not saying males don't get stress stripes, but I have never seen a male with them. I see females with them all the time at the pet store, and typically if you just put the fish in your cart, away from the other fish, the stripes disappear in a few minutes.
wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2010, 12:04 AM   #36
Swan900
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes the Betta in the first image always has those stripes. Its in an isolated 12g at the momment and still has them. Could they have them due to my food has alot of the B Carotene, causing colours to be more vibrant? Ive covered most options and see no reason for it to be stressed. Still not sure if its male of female yet, need to get a better image on here!

Swan

** Fluval Pimp #21 **

17 Gallon Planted Room Tank
6.3 Gallon Planted Nano
Swan900 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2010, 01:35 PM   #37
keithy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

beta can be stressed with too much lighting also.
keithy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2010, 06:20 PM   #38
ILovePonies

Hey, everyone! I have a question related to Betta gender identity as well. I bought a Betta fish about a week ago at a pet store. It was labeled "veiltail female", which is exactly what it looks like. I read up on Bettas before I bought the fish, and I didn't question "her" gender because she always has two stripes going from her mouth to her tail. This is the only fish I own, so it is alone in the tank. Yesterday, I left for a few hours and came back to a bubble nest in "her" tank. Now, if the stripes are definite indicators that the fish is a female, and the bubble nest is a definite indicator that the fish is a male, what is my fish??
ILovePonies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2010, 06:34 PM   #39
Cardinal Tetra
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (110/99%)

Females blow bubbles too...just not huge nests like males.

Unemployed, poor, and still living off the parents.
Cardinal Tetra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2010, 06:37 PM   #40
speedie408

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILovePonies View Post
Hey, everyone! I have a question related to Betta gender identity as well. I bought a Betta fish about a week ago at a pet store. It was labeled "veiltail female", which is exactly what it looks like. I read up on Bettas before I bought the fish, and I didn't question "her" gender because she always has two stripes going from her mouth to her tail. This is the only fish I own, so it is alone in the tank. Yesterday, I left for a few hours and came back to a bubble nest in "her" tank. Now, if the stripes are definite indicators that the fish is a female, and the bubble nest is a definite indicator that the fish is a male, what is my fish??
Pictures speak a thousand words. Got any?
Old 12-02-2010, 06:52 PM   #41
ILovePonies

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedie408 View Post
Pictures speak a thousand words. Got any?
Thanks for the quick response! Here are some pictures... I have noticed that the stripes have faded slowly throughout the week. I think he or she may have been stressed out at first...

This is my first time posting pictures, so I'll use the picture tool and paste the urls to make sure it works...
Last week:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56564492@N05/5226504917/
Today:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56564492@N05/5226504955/
Bubble Nest:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56564492@N05/5227101640/
ILovePonies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2010, 07:19 PM   #42
speedie408

Pictures aren't really clear but it could be a Plakat male. And yes, males also have the horizontal stripes when stressed.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:30 PM   #43
ShortFin
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedie408 View Post
Pictures aren't really clear but it could be a Plakat male. And yes, males also have the horizontal stripes when stressed.
+1. When in doubt, I always look from above for head and mouth structure.
ShortFin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 11:18 AM   #44
Jords2348

Default Plakat male or female Betta

How can i tell if my Betta is a male plakat or just a female it looks like it has an ovipositor but it has built a nest and is very aggressive towards other males it also has long ventral fins
Jords2348 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 06:24 PM   #45
TheJadeShrimp
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Keeping Betta splendens together in the same tank is always a challenge even when keeping just females in a "sorority" tank. IMO keeping both males and females together in a tank this small is just inviting problems as those fish reach sexual maturity.
+1! I reading through the post and I was going to post this. But I see someone already has.

In a bigger tank, you MIGHT be able to keep a male and female. But only if you have a big tank and A LOT of hiding places.
Just my animals: 0.2 Cornsnakes, 0.2 Bearded Dragons, 1.0 Water Dragon, 0.2.1 Crested Geckos, 1.0 Tiger Salamander, 2.0 Anoles, 0.0.2 Red Eared Slider Turtles, 0.0.1 Map Turtle, 0.0.1 Hermit Crabs, 1.0 Hamster, 1.0 Rabbit, 0.1 Horses, 2.2 Dogs, 0.2 Cats, Chickens, Ducks, Oscar Tank, Planted Bowl, 2x 10 Gallon, 2x 0.5 Gallon, 5 Gallon, and Planted 25 Gallon Tank....Is that it?
TheJadeShrimp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.