Contribute and fill survey: Calculator for Aquarists
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 11-21-2010, 02:56 PM   #1
hariom
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thumbs up

Contribute and fill survey: Calculator for Aquarists

We are trying to design a new calculator experience of owning and maintaining aquariums.

Some how the experience of calculations during setup and tank maintenance is not as enjoyable as the aquarium itself. Therefore, we are aggregating calculators and re-designing them so that they are simple, interactive and easy to use.

We would love to know if there are any calculators that you would want us to include in our application.

We encourage you to fill out the survey and let us know your thoughts/needs. Thank You for your time and participation!

FILL OUT SURVEY NOW
hariom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2010, 07:35 PM   #2
hariom
Algae Grower

let those replies keep coming in....

thanks to all who have already filled the survey....

if you would like to be a part of the beta testing...please send in your emails addresses as replies to this thread...
Old 11-23-2010, 10:08 PM   #3
hariom
Algae Grower

Aqua Peeps~

let those responses keep coming in....

an interesting fact revealed so far is that majority of Aquarists own more than 1 aquarium.....
Old 11-23-2010, 11:34 PM   #4
ReefkprZ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariom View Post

an interesting fact revealed so far is that majority of Aquarists own more than 1 aquarium.....
you cant have just one.....

125g marine reef tank, 6 gallon fluval edge minimalist aquascape (in progress), 1 gallon aqueon evo 2 betta tank.
ReefkprZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2010, 11:36 PM   #5
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

Apparently I was an "Experienced Aquarist/Guru" at the age of 9... LOL
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2010, 11:37 PM   #6
ReefkprZ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Apparently I was an "Experienced Aquarist/Guru" at the age of 9... LOL
so whats that make you now, the Uber guru?

125g marine reef tank, 6 gallon fluval edge minimalist aquascape (in progress), 1 gallon aqueon evo 2 betta tank.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:38 PM   #7
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

LOL

No, I was thinking "I'd been in the hobby for 3 years but still didn't know nada!"
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2010, 11:39 PM   #8
ReefkprZ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
LOL

No, I was thinking "I'd been in the hobby for 3 years but still didn't know nada!"
I agree,
after 6-7 years I was still realizing how much I didn't know yet. I've noticed the more you learn the more you realize you don't know. now after about 20 years I am still learning new stuff everyday.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:21 PM   #9
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

Quote:
Aqua Peeps~
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefkprZ View Post
you cant have just one.....
Worse than Lays potato chips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefkprZ View Post
I agree,
after 6-7 years I was still realizing how much I didn't know yet. I've noticed the more you learn the more you realize you don't know. now after about 20 years I am still learning new stuff everyday.
I'm slow, it took me decades to realize my total ignorance.
But I'm much better now
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2010, 01:34 PM   #10
hariom
Algae Grower

Dear ReefkprZ, lauraleellbp and wkndracer,

All of you make excellent points here. Declaring oneself as a Newbie, Intermediate and Expert is completely subjective.

People do have a certain level of confidence with practice and time. They choose to define themselves based on their personality and capabilities.

While designing the survey we knew this question was going to be a tricky one. Leaving it just at Beginner, Intermediate and Expert (without time frames) makes it too vague-confusing the user, and hence the question had to be narrowed down. We chose to tackle the time frames from a completely functional level. After a year or so, one atleast knows the basics of water changes, how to conduct basic tank maintenance, a decent knowledge about the fish they are keeping on so on....

To counterbalance the generalization of the first question, we added a second question (had aquariums since). The answers to this one give us insights about how people are defining themselves.

Those users who match the time frames of question 1 and question 2 will support our reasoning. However, those users who do have different time frames for both questions will disapprove of our reasoning.

If the latter group outnumbers the previous one, then we can gather conclusive insights on how users define the relationship between time and their levels of expertise.

So... for now, we still have more users matching the time frames for both questions.

We encourage more Aquarists to answer this survey and prove us wrong! so that we can gather these important insights....on user perceptions and behaviors.

thank you for raising these questions and I hope you all filled in the survey! Let those answers keep coming in...

Regards,
Amit
Old 11-24-2010, 01:55 PM   #11
jmowbray
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Quote:
if you would like to be a part of the beta testing...please send in your emails addresses as replies to this thread...
What is beta testing?
jmowbray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2010, 01:58 PM   #12
hariom
Algae Grower

We will be testing the online calculator interface by sending special invites to people who opt for it. Your feedback for the interface will be valuable as we refine the design before the calculator's official release....

so if you are in for it...fill in the survey and add your email....
Old 11-24-2010, 02:31 PM   #13
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

Hey Hariom,
Just saying hi from another Cincinnatian. Are you doing this as a company project and is it web?

I was planning to do a simple fert calculator for the ipod/iphone when I have the time to finish learning objective C.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2010, 02:44 PM   #14
hariom
Algae Grower

Hi mistergreen,

Hi to you also!! We should definitely meet up sometime soon.....this is a pet project of mine...i decided to tackle this problem based on my own experiences in the aquarium hobby. I would love to hear your thoughts and how you could contribute to this project..

please do fill out the survey!

take care!
amit

Tags
aquariums, aquascaping, calculator, fertilizing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.