hairgrass melting/dying?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 11-16-2010, 07:58 PM   #1
Lee92
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy

hairgrass melting/dying?

i bought some eleocharis acicularis (dwarf hairgrass) a week ago at it was lovely and green now a week on the tips seem to be browning and some stems dying off, i seperated them into smaller clumps, i trimmied the brown tips off most of them earlier on today. i presume the tips are going brown because is was grown emersed and now its submerged but it doesnt explain the stems.
its a new tank 10 gallon tank only 30cm high with 2 inches of aquabasin and manado substrate (by jbl)
i have pressure co2 at a bubble every 3 secs which on the coulour chart (measured by 2 or 4 drops of regeant turning either yellow(low ph high co2), green, d.green, l.blue, blue(high ph low co2)) which on the chart is in the middle so dark green which is also a ph of 7.
i used a ro water at a temp of 24/25 c with minerals and i am doing daily doses of ferropol24 and weekly doses of ferropol(again by jbl) with 2 arcadida arcpods oringal tropical 11 watt lights making 2wpg(if you still go by this rule)
any ideas heres as ive been looking on the net but everywhere i look has a different opinion than the other. here are a couple of bad pics if you can see it in them but it might be a struggle.
i know some people say with the right condtions they can grow very fast and become invasive and need medium light others say they grow very slow and need a very high light so i dont know who to believe aha
cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000133.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	25205  

Name:	P1000134.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	25206  

Name:	P1000135.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	25207  

Name:	P1000137.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	25208  

Name:	P1000139.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	25209  

Lee92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2010, 08:26 PM   #2
HarryRobinson
Algae Grower

It does this mate It was grown emmersed so the emmersed growth dies off and submerged growth begins This happened to mine so a waited it out and now i have a nice lush green carpet Once it grows long trim it to about half an inch then it will grow back more green and lush. Wait it out it'll look great Nice tank

15 Gallon Planted Tank
HarryRobinson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2010, 09:28 PM   #3
Lee92
Algae Grower

ah cheers. so is im my lighting enough in the long run? how long did you wait till you saw the 'new' growth in your tank?
Old 11-17-2010, 01:03 AM   #4
Sharkfood
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

When transitioning to submerged growth, the whole blade will rot, not just the tips. It should start putting up new leaves in short order though.
Sharkfood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2010, 01:09 AM   #5
sAroock
Algae Grower

those bunches look a little too big. i would of divided them to individual roots, this will speed things up and you'll get healthier faster growth.

Too late know i guess, but good information for nxt time if you decide to play with hairgrass or other carpets.
sAroock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2010, 07:20 PM   #6
Lee92
Algae Grower

ok yeah some stems are dying off so hofully the new growth will come through.

yeah aha, i bought six bunches and split them into around 40 separate clumps i guess i could of made them smaller but it was not a easy task with the substrate chosen and i guess i got a little lazy, i was worried that because the clumps are to thick that the middle was dying off from to little light but i do not want to disturb it now and hopefully the new growth should come through, fingers crossed

Last edited by Lee92; 11-17-2010 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: corrected errors
Old 11-17-2010, 07:25 PM   #7
Jaggedfury
Twin Turbo Lexus SC300

PTrader: (135/100%)

You should split them into thinner pieces, it will spead out quicker that way. Thin fine patches is the best way to go. Clumping them that much together will slow it's growth and won't spread as quickly as if it was thinner.

Jaggedfury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2010, 07:42 PM   #8
JCoxRocks
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)

I also just planted some emersed hairgrass, although mine hasnt begun to melt or brown at all. It is still a lush green, however very difficult to tell if there is any new growth.

HarryRobinson - did I read correct to trim it down to a half inch above the substrate? I had read that frequent trimmings often stimulates new growth and runners. Is this what you recommend to acheive a nice carpet once planted?

J
JCoxRocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
acicularis, brown, eleocharis, hairgrass, melting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.