Philip's 90 Gallon - UPDATE 7/31/2012 (FTS P.86)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-11-2010, 05:42 AM   #1
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (117/100%)

Philip's 90 Gallon - UPDATE 7/31/2012 (FTS P.86)

AzFishKid's 90 Gallon Riparium

CLICK HERE TO SEE A VIDEO OF THIS TANK! (when it was a riparium - NO LONGER SET UP THIS WAY)
Please see most recent posts for updated information and photos.

After keeping a 150g for less than 6 months, i decided to downgrade after struggling to find enough money to set it up properly. It was fun while it lasted, but i'm excited to have a smaller tank to work with.

This tank will be more focused on the plants; however, the fish will be of equal importance as well. I hope to keep this journal simple but informative. Please feel free to critique my setup as it evolves!

SIZE: 90g [48"x18"x25"]
FURNITURE: Oak stand and canopy (stained) from Dayton Cabinets
FILTRATION: Fluval FX5
LIGHTING: 4x54 watt Catalina T5-HO Retrofit w/moonlights
CO2: 5lb tank // GLA Co2 Regulator // Aquariumplants.com External Reactor // Milwaukee SMS122 pH Controller
SUBSTRATE: ADA Amazonia I Aquasoil // ADA New Amazonia
FERTS: None

Last edited by Centromochlus; 08-01-2012 at 05:48 AM.. Reason: Update
Centromochlus is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2010, 05:49 AM   #2
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)

Nice plan! Can't wait to see it progress!

Lets just hope you don't get your leg blown off this time around

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Da Plant Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:52 AM   #3
rickztahone
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

how much soil are you buying? i'm trying to figure out how much to buy for my 55 but i can't figure it out in L, i only see the chart for lbs.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:00 AM   #4
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caton View Post
Nice plan! Can't wait to see it progress!

Lets just hope you don't get your leg blown off this time around
Thanks! I'm really excited to get this all set up. The 150g was fun, but it was a lot of work and i hope this will be my final tank until i go off to college (but you never know what will happen when you're part of an addictive hobby like this one...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickztahone
how much soil are you buying? i'm trying to figure out how much to buy for my 55 but i can't figure it out in L, i only see the chart for lbs.
I'm buying 4 9-liter bags and 2 3-liter bags, since i may want a slight slope. If you click on the "extended information" tab on the product page, it will tell you how many bags you need for the size tank you have. According to that chart, a 58g (36"x18") would need 3 9-liter bags. They do not say how deep the substrate would be though, but i'm assuming around 1.5"

Old 11-11-2010, 06:05 AM   #5
rickztahone
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzFishKid View Post
Thanks! I'm really excited to get this all set up. The 150g was fun, but it was a lot of work and i hope this will be my final tank until i go off to college (but you never know what will happen when you're part of an addictive hobby like this one...).

I'm buying 4 9-liter bags and 2 3-liter bags, since i may want a slight slope. If you click on the "extended information" tab on the product page, it will tell you how many bags you need for the size tank you have. According to that chart, a 58g (36"x18") would need 3 9-liter bags. They do not say how deep the substrate would be though, but i'm assuming around 1.5"
thx. i was thinking 4 bags since a fellow member told me to go with really steep slope for the look i was going for. i'm not sure if you say my Journal thread but i really like the slope i have on my 10g's. i measured it and it was 4" at the rear and the front pretty much matched the black trim, not bad IMO. also, the soil comes out to be much cheaper than buying local florite. The only thing i don't like is the ammonia leech, i really have never cycled a tank, i have always taken media from an exsisting filter and used that to insta-start a tank. I will have to do more research on this...

btw, good luck with this build, i was sad to see the other one go but i think this one will have more potential since it isn't on such a huge scale.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:15 AM   #6
xJaypex
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)

how much did you save buying the soil from afa? Just asking cus i remembered i wanted to do the same but there really wasnt a difference from buying it locally.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:59 PM   #7
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJaypex View Post
how much did you save buying the soil from afa? Just asking cus i remembered i wanted to do the same but there really wasnt a difference from buying it locally.
I think i saved about $10 or $20, but that's about it. Tim wanted to order a 3-liter bag, so he helped out with shipping.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:19 PM   #8
dxiong5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (56/100%)

Looking forward to your progress as I have a 75 gallon myself that I am planning to start in the near future. How will you place the light - suspended? on legs? right on top of the tank?

According to Hoppy's lighting tables (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/li...t5-t12-pc.html), 4x54w T5HO can be too much lighting for a 75 with respect to how it is placed. I thought about getting a 4-bulb fixture too, but am not sure yet.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:31 PM   #9
VadimShevchuk
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VadimShevchuk Send a message via Skype™ to VadimShevchuk

I was looking forward to see your new 75 gallon set up and it was sad to see your 150 go. Are you going to switch the 5 lb to a bigger tank in the future? It's not going to be fun running back and forth from the co2 refill place every month or 2.
VadimShevchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:04 PM   #10
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiong5 View Post
Looking forward to your progress as I have a 75 gallon myself that I am planning to start in the near future. How will you place the light - suspended? on legs? right on top of the tank?

According to Hoppy's lighting tables (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/li...t5-t12-pc.html), 4x54w T5HO can be too much lighting for a 75 with respect to how it is placed. I thought about getting a 4-bulb fixture too, but am not sure yet.
The retrofit will be attached to the top of the canopy, which will be about 13" from the water surface i believe. So, according to Hoppy's chart, 3 bulbs will give me medium light, and 4 bulbs will give me high light. I'm hoping to make this a high-light tank if i can keep up with the water change/fert schedule.

Quote:
I was looking forward to see your new 75 gallon set up and it was sad to see your 150 go. Are you going to switch the 5 lb to a bigger tank in the future? It's not going to be fun running back and forth from the co2 refill place every month or 2.
After everything is up and running and when i have some spare cash, i'm definitely going to upgrade to at least a 10lb.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:31 PM   #11
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (141/100%)

Sounds like a great plan!
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:35 PM   #12
Green Leaf Aquariums
Sponsor

PTrader: (86/100%)

Congrats on the new tank and furniture. Looks like you have a good plan on getting things off to the right start.
Green Leaf Aquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:06 PM   #13
Axelrodi202
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

I look forward to seeing this new tank! But I can't help but notice that your fish list is on the large side.
\_\
Axelrodi202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:11 PM   #14
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelrodi202 View Post
I look forward to seeing this new tank! But I can't help but notice that your fish list is on the large side.
Everything, including the fish list, is tentative at this point. The aquarium isn't even filled yet, let alone in my bedroom! I appreciate your input though, and i do agree- it may be too much for a 75g to handle.

Orlando/Hydrophyte, thanks for the comments.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:34 AM   #15
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)

Are you going to put the assassin snails from your 150g into this tank?

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Da Plant Man is online now   Reply With Quote