J's 125gal - Angel Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-27-2010, 02:07 AM   #1
JCoxRocks
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)

J's 125gal - Angel Tank

This tank was given to me by one of my technicians who found it in a storage shed in a house he purchased. It was set up in the waiting area of the garage that I ran for a few years, very basic with common community fish. The owner of the company needed more room in the waiting area and I had moved out of my apartment into a house, so the tank came home with me. It became the home of one of my favorite pets of all time, "Leonidas" a red-tail catfish...

Unfortunately, the heaters in the tank failed and I lost Leonidas. I came home from work, figured it out, but it was too late. He had shocked from the cold temps and died. He was getting very close to outgrowing the tank anyway, but I had plans to donate him to a local public aquarium.

I switched gears and shifted to an angelfish tank, and since my red-tail would have torn up any plants, I never really focused on planting the tank. It had some garbage single-bulb flourescents that would have barely grown anything, so it was never in my plans to plant this tank. Had 3-4 pairs of angels breed in this tank and would seperate them into a breeder tank before spawns and raise the fry. Never made it much further than that, but recently purchased new lighting for the tank to begin improving it as an angel-only breeder tank. And thus begins this tank's rebuild.

Tank: 125 Gal
Filtration: Eheim 2217 Canister, Eheim 2236 Canister Filter
Lighting: 2 x Custom T5 fixtures - (3x 39watt 6500K bulbs, 1 - 39watt 10K in each) (built by Catalina Aquarium)
Co2: 10lb tank, w/ dual manifolds, Smith regulator, set at 8 bps (built by GLA)
Heater: 2 x 200 watt Stealth
Substrate: Eco Complete
Hardscape: Store-bought driftwood
Ferts: PFertz kit

Flora: Limnophila aromatica, ludwigia ovalis, Polygonum sp. Kawagoeanum, blyxa japonica, dwarf hairgrass, rotala red, amazon sword, xmas moss, pygmy chain sword, red tiger lotus, green tiger lotus, rotala roundtfolia

Fauna Angelfish (Veiled Gold Marble, 2 Gold, Black, Silver)

Future plans include relocating angels from my other tanks to this one, removing undergravel, new powerheads, canister filtration, more plants, fertilization, possibly C02.

Comments, opinions, ideas are all welcome!

J

Last edited by JCoxRocks; 04-05-2011 at 12:46 AM..
JCoxRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2010, 02:37 AM   #2
fish-n-pups
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

I'd take half the plants from the smaller tank and spread them around in this one.

You have some great wood and with a few plants this could really start popping!
fish-n-pups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:44 AM   #3
JCoxRocks
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I need to paint the back glass... what kind of paint is best? I used vinyl from a sign shop on all my other tanks, but that will be pretty cumbersome to do on this tank, and not to mention I only have about a foot to work with behind the tank and the wall.

J
Old 10-27-2010, 03:34 AM   #4
problemman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (43/100%)

use felt it works great!
I sell plants but not green thumbs, sorry.
problemman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:59 PM   #5
rockwood
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

I painted mine with Valspar "Satin Black" latex paint. You can get it at Lowes. They had pre-mixed quarts available and ready to go. I used a foam roller and just rolled it on. Took two coats to get it nice and even but it looks great. The only difficult part was getting it to fill in the edges next to the black frame without smearing everywhere.

I'm sure if you don't have a Lowes nearby you can find something similar at Home Depot or whatever.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:45 PM   #6
JCoxRocks
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood View Post
I painted mine with Valspar "Satin Black" latex paint. You can get it at Lowes. They had pre-mixed quarts available and ready to go. I used a foam roller and just rolled it on. Took two coats to get it nice and even but it looks great. The only difficult part was getting it to fill in the edges next to the black frame without smearing everywhere.

I'm sure if you don't have a Lowes nearby you can find something similar at Home Depot or whatever.
Thanks. I think this is the route I wanna go. Latex would be easy to remove later if I decided to do that.

BTW... I just finished looking at your 75g journal. Looks great. I'm thinking very strongly about your C02 setup in this tank, or maybe the 38 gal. Your growth is AMAZING.

J
Old 10-27-2010, 05:24 PM   #7
rockwood
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'd highly recommend GLA. It's good stuff. I just now ran my CO2 tank bone dry yesterday, so 5lbs lasted about 2 months I guess. With my lighting I figure that's probably about right. I hadn't been keeping up with it, then I looked under yesterday to get some ferts out and noticed I had no bubbles rolling, hehe.

I'm also not using the Rex Grigg style reactor. I went with the house filter style one. I need to get some pictures of it as I don't think my thread is updated with all that.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:30 PM   #8
JCoxRocks
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I'd highly recommend GLA. It's good stuff. I just now ran my CO2 tank bone dry yesterday, so 5lbs lasted about 2 months I guess. With my lighting I figure that's probably about right. I hadn't been keeping up with it, then I looked under yesterday to get some ferts out and noticed I had no bubbles rolling, hehe.

I'm also not using the Rex Grigg style reactor. I went with the house filter style one. I need to get some pictures of it as I don't think my thread is updated with all that.
Please do... I'd like to get a look at that for some ideas. Feel free to PM me if you post that info up. Is it a DIY reactor, or something store-bought?

J
Old 10-28-2010, 04:22 AM   #9
rockwood
Planted Tank Obsessed

I built it. I'll get some pictures tomorrow.

It involved a house filter (with the filter media removed) and then just doing some easy PVC work. There's a thread on it in the DIY section of the forums. I think the thread is titled Cerge's Reactor.

I'm pretty happy with how well its working.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:23 PM   #10
JCoxRocks
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ordered a complete CO2 system from Orlando at GLA today. Super nice guy. He spent plenty of time answering questions and all around helping me with the purchase. I plan to use a 10lb tank with two needle valves and two hoses running to this tank and the 38 gal tank as well. They are less than 2 feet apart, so why not?

I plan on painting the back of this tank tommorow or this weekend and maybe removing the undergravel filter and rescaping a bit. I expect the CO2 system late next week, so that should give me some more time to look for a nice canister filter and maybe some other scaping options.

Photos to come after paint.

J
Old 10-29-2010, 01:12 AM   #11
rockwood
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sweet, how are you going to be diffusing the CO2? I forgot to get pictures for you today, it's been a crazy day and I had to prepare to go out of town plus keep work happy.

Here's the link to the DIY House filter reactor thread I was talking about though.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:00 PM   #12
JCoxRocks
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Sweet, how are you going to be diffusing the CO2? I forgot to get pictures for you today, it's been a crazy day and I had to prepare to go out of town plus keep work happy.

Here's the link to the DIY House filter reactor thread I was talking about though.
I decided to start out with the WaterPlants co2 diffuser from GLA. Orlando had nothing but good things to say about it. I may eventually do a similar setup to yours, but I'll check this out first.

J
Old 10-29-2010, 09:59 PM   #13
JCoxRocks
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I need some advice folks! Talk me into replacing the store-bought gravel with some sort of substrate. Tell me it will be worth it. Tell me the pain in the @$$ of pulling all the old gravel out and the money involved in new gravel will be worth it. Tell me that making my 5 VERY large angels live in a 38 gal tank in the meantime while the new substrate settles and PH balances will be worth it.

Please give me all your opinions, ideas and suggestions!

**EDIT** Just purchased 16 bags of Eco-Complete from Petco.com. They have a promotion right now for free shipping on orders over $60. I can't imagine the look on their shipper's face when he realizes he is about to ship 320 lbs of substrate for free. Furthermore how I'm going to get in the house next week after UPS barricades it with boxes filled with Eco-Complete.

J

Last edited by JCoxRocks; 10-30-2010 at 01:06 AM..
Old 11-01-2010, 03:52 AM   #14
JCoxRocks
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Spent the weekend cleaning out the cabinet and installing some Xenon lighting

Installed my Eheim 2236 I purchased from ClintonSParsons (thanks again!!).

I still have the piggyback filter on the tank as well and another larger canister filter on the way to replace it, but plan on using the 2236 as well and decided it is best to go ahead and get a bacterial build up in this filter before I tear the tank down to install Eco-Complete.

I also painted the back of the tank black with some flat interior latex paint. Looks MUCH better

I removed the powerheads and the uptake tubes as one of the powerheads grenaded when it sucked up a snail shell. Sounded like a rock in a blender!

Should receive my C02 setup from GLA this week as well as the Eco-Complete and another canister filter. Hope to begin the new canister filter this week and hopefully do a full teardown and rebuild in two weeks. Would like to have this tank up and running by mid-month.

I would like as much feedback as possible from everyone on what to do with the scape. How would you utilize the driftwood that is already in the tank. Please give me some ideas while I have the time!

J
Old 11-04-2010, 02:32 PM   #15
JCoxRocks
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Lots of new toys in the mail yesterday!

My dog, Bella, made sure everything was accounted for...

My new Eheim 2217 arrived along with 2 Eheim powerballs that I'll use for surface agitation and some additional flow through the tank...

I set up the Eheim last night so it can go ahead and begin to build up some beneficial bacteria. I have two complaints about the 2217. First off, it doesn't prime as easily as the 2236. I drank a lot of fish water last night trying to suck-syphon the pressure hose into the canister before starting it. My second complaint is that the hoses are only like 3 feet long! They just barely cleared the top of the tank. I'll need some new hose. Is Home Depot or Lowes ok for replacement hose, or do I need to order something special from Eheim?

My C02 system from GLA also arrived. 10lb CO2 tank, Smith Regulator with dual manifold (hard to tell from the photo, but 2 needle valves and 2 bubble counters). 2 diffusers and 2 drop checkers.

I hope to receive my Eco Complete this weekend and next weekend do a complete tear down of this tank and start over. If everything goes as planned, I want to have this tank up and running with CO2 by Monday 11/15.

Any ideas as to where most people take their CO2 tanks to be filled?

I also received some Blyxa Japonica from "cfi on the fly". He said it was a "large amount" and he wasn't kidding...

That photo was just the first of two gallon ziplock bags full!! I put it all in a 38g that I have running with nothing in it along with some runners from an amazon sword. These will eventually go in this tank when I replant it.

I'm waiting on the Eco-Complete, and thats the funniest part of this whole build. Petco had a FREE shipping promotion on orders more than $60. I guess that includes 304lbs of Eco Complete. I got the email the other day with 8 different Fed Ex tracking numbers for my order. I can only imagine coming home to Fed Ex boxes scattered all around my front door. I bet Petco changed their promotion after this.

J