Cant get java fern to grow
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 01-14-2005, 07:50 PM   #1
rayhwong
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to rayhwong

Cant get java fern to grow

Hi,
I am having trouble getting Java fern to grow in my tank. I had it growing fine in my 10g but in my 100g it turns dark and doesnt grow new leaves. Bolbitus does teh same too. All the other plants are thriving and have strong color.
What is wrong? Do java's need special needs or less light?
Thanks.

Eheim Pimp #91
Tank Information: 100 gallon TruVu, white play sand, Eheim 2028pro2 and 2026pro2, 2X96W PC 6700K and 2X55W PC GE 9325K, Pressurized CO2, Eheim autofeeder
rayhwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2005, 07:58 PM   #2
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

What do your nitrates look like? Java Ferns are nitrate hogs.
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 08:11 PM   #3
rayhwong
Planted Tank Obsessed

my nitrates are at 12.5ppm.
phosphate at 1ppm-.5ppm.

Eheim Pimp #91
Tank Information: 100 gallon TruVu, white play sand, Eheim 2028pro2 and 2026pro2, 2X96W PC 6700K and 2X55W PC GE 9325K, Pressurized CO2, Eheim autofeeder
Old 01-14-2005, 08:41 PM   #4
Aphyosemion
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion

As far as I can tell, java ferns grow in just about any amount of light, just slower in low lighting. It has taken me about a year for the pile of rocks in my 29 gallon eclipse to become my heavily planted java jungle. I keep that tank at only about 1.5 watts per gallon, since it makes the tank virtually maintenance free.
-Aphyosemion
Old 01-14-2005, 10:29 PM   #5
rayhwong
Planted Tank Obsessed

So waht should I do, upthe nitrates?

Eheim Pimp #91
Old 01-14-2005, 10:41 PM   #6
Aphyosemion
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion

Actually, that might help. It is something I have never thought about, but both of the low light tanks that I have my java ferns in both have high nitrates, because there aren't a lot of fast growing plants to suck it up. The range is around 30PPM in both of those tanks. It could just be that as luck would have it for me, the tanks that I wanted them to grow in just happen to have ideal conditions for them.
-Aphyosemion
Old 01-15-2005, 10:22 PM   #7
convicted_convict
Algae Grower

I had the same problem as you until I incresed my nitrate and phosphate dosing. They never grew roots, but once I added the new fert dosage they have tanken off. Javas seem to be slower at uptaking nutrients than most plants( much slower than stem plants of course) so my guess is that they were being robbed of a chance to get enough nutrients. In lower light all the plants are pretty much at the same level so Javas can keep up. Just keep enough nutrients in the water and they should kick in soon.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:26 AM   #8
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

Another thing with the ferns is water movement... is it possible that the 100 gallon does not have good circulation ?
Old 01-21-2005, 04:21 PM   #9
BigJimSTL
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to BigJimSTL Send a message via Yahoo to BigJimSTL

Im sort of having this problem too. I bought one and the leaves were in pretty bad shape and soon melted away. I kept the rhiozome (sp) and it sprouted, what im assuming are anchoring roots. Theyre thin and green and "hairy" looking. Theres a lot of them, but to this day no new leaves. Any ideas?
BigJimSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 04:34 PM   #10
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

I've had trouble growing Java Fern in some tanks as well. In other tanks, it just grows like a weed. One thing I did that improved growth was to shift the java fern out of the direct light. I had it sitting on driftwood, fairly close to the surface and it just shriveled. I moved it into a slightly shaded area and it did a good bit better. This is the only time I've ever experienced a positive response from less light in aquatic plants.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:42 PM   #11
BigJimSTL
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to BigJimSTL Send a message via Yahoo to BigJimSTL

Wow, i take that back. Did a waterchange, and decided to take a look at that rhiozome and cut back some of those roots and theres two itty bitty little leaves pokin out of there about .250 of an inch. Its about time too. It only took 3 months...
BigJimSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 05:46 PM   #12
rayhwong
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the help!
I had put more current in teh tank with a powerhead and the java fern did alot better. I had also put it under some shade from the lights and it sprouted 4 new leaves!

Eheim Pimp #91