Male Plakat Sold As Female? Or Just An Aggressive Female?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 09-27-2010, 07:29 PM   #1
Swan900
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Male Plakat Sold As Female? Or Just An Aggressive Female?

About 3 months ago I purchased what was advertised as 4 female Betta's to add in a tank with a male along with Harlequins and Amanos. The male was in the tank for a month before with the other inhabitants and all was fine.

When I introduced the 4 "females" there was no aggressive behavior from the male nor females. So I thought all was well! But due to it is not advesed to put females with male Bettas I paid extra close attension for the first couple of weeks to asses them. I found out that 3 of the females were fine, they were submissive to the male and got fat (with what I belive to be eggs). The male was in his prime, flaring occassionally.

But the problem "female" started to show aggression during this stage. It started nipping at the Betta Splendens tail, causing in the end, quite serious damage. I had a 12g on standby for this and I had to seperate them. I put the male Betta Splendens in it to heal his fins with aquarium salt to prevent infection as well as a high protein diet.

Also with my suspect male Plakat I noticed he started to pay more attention to the females. He, or she didnt flare at all but did sort of round them up and stay close the largest female. But the thing I dont understand is that it looks very much like a small/juvenile female betta. So I cant really blame the LFS for selling it as one, especially as they have limited knowledge anyways!

As it stands now I have decided to put the definate male Betta back in the original tank with the females as his fins are healed fully. I put the suspect Plakat into the tank the injured male came from. But just to confirm with the picture and experience anyone has had on here, is it a male or female betta? Thanks in advance!

Swan

Bellow: Suspect Male Plakat, Sold As Female (sorry for bad quality)

Bellow: Fin Damage On Male After Confrontation

** Fluval Pimp #21 **

17 Gallon Planted Room Tank
6.3 Gallon Planted Nano
Swan900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2010, 07:31 PM   #2
Swan900
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ohh and before anyone complains that I shouldnt have let it happen, here is a picture of the male now after I healed him up!

Swan

** Fluval Pimp #21 **

6.3 Gallon Planted Nano
Old 09-27-2010, 07:40 PM   #3
weluvbettas
Algae Grower

I believe its a female . Probally just a very aggresive one. Females can just be as bad as males sometimes.
weluvbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:43 PM   #4
Swan900
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Maybe. But a friend of mine who will probably comment on this thread soon, also had this problem. In fact I belive we both got out females from the same LFS. But when he seperated his female (suspect Plakat male) it started making a bubble nest. A attribute only the males do. So it must be a male surely?

Swan

** Fluval Pimp #21 **

6.3 Gallon Planted Nano
Old 09-27-2010, 07:55 PM   #5
luke20037
Planted Tank Enthusiast

exactly the same problem swan, not sure if mines a plakat male but it has definitly shown aggresion to my other male, enough to kill him! When I introduced a new male betta the same problem occured(flaring gills and such) yet the 3 other females showed no aggresion. When I put the "female/male plakat" into a spare tank it started to make a bubble nest, is this not a male behaviour?

Just to add swan and I brought the females from the same lfs unbeknown to us that there was problems.

luke20037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:00 PM   #6
weluvbettas
Algae Grower

Luke your betta is just a male veil tail with some fin damage you can tell its a male by it body and tail.
Swam some females make nests too. Its not very commom though. I read about it online it some females believe they are males and build nests.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:09 PM   #7
Swan900
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvbettas View Post
Luke your betta is just a male veil tail with some fin damage you can tell its a male by it body and tail.
Swam some females make nests too. Its not very commom though. I read about it online it some females believe they are males and build nests.
Thanks for the reply. But my females looks like Lukes one. None of them behave like males and I bet Lukes other females are similar to his supect Plakat one?

Swan

** Fluval Pimp #21 **

6.3 Gallon Planted Nano
Old 09-27-2010, 08:30 PM   #8
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

One tell-tale sign for a female is the horizontal lines (2 lines) running through the body.
You have a female. Females will attack males as well. Only closely related betas can be kept together for a long period of time.

Oh, if you're trying to breed them, let them have visual contact not physical contact. Only until the horizontal stripe turns vertical will the female be ready to mate.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:49 PM   #9
weluvbettas
Algae Grower

If they have two horizontal lines down the body it means there stressed or nervous.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:46 PM   #10
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvbettas View Post
If they have two horizontal lines down the body it means there stressed or nervous.
and they're females.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:47 PM   #11
luke20037
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for clarification so annoying when Lfs sell you what they describe but is totally different!
luke20037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:03 PM   #12
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

I wouldn't blame the Lfs. They are hard to distinguish unless you've raised them.

Another sign is the finnage. The male's finnage even though short are a bit longer and the branching are much more distinct.

The other sign is the overall roundness of the abdomen.
Here are some articles on plakats
http://bettysplendens.com/articles/c....imp?catid=883
Old 09-27-2010, 11:25 PM   #13
speedie408
ShrimpKeeprExtraordinaire

PTrader: (390/100%)

Swan - try to get a clearer pic and I'll tell you if it's a male or female

Luke - your fish pictured is def a male. The head and stocky body is a dead giveaway. Look at his mouth how it curves up more then a female.

mistergreen - males will get the horizontal stripes if they get really sick or stressed as well.
speedie408 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:31 PM   #14
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

The first one looks like a female to me, the second a male, altho I am no expert. Do either of these "females" have an oviposter - a little white raised looking dot on their underside where the eggs come out? It's not always visible so even if you don't see one it's not a definite thing that it must be a male, but it is helpful in determining sex.

I've never heard that only females get stress stripes - but now that I think about it I've only ever seen stress stripes on females.
wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:11 AM   #15
Swan900
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Are the horizontal stripes a sign of stress and stress only? Or can they be natural? And I am in the process of taking a better picture of the Betta male/female in question. Its a young juvenile though, even for a female it would be small so sexing may be even trickier. Thanks for the help guys!

Swan

** Fluval Pimp #21 **

6.3 Gallon Planted Nano