20gal High Tech Tiger Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-29-2010, 03:21 AM   #1
WillyJ
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

20gal High Tech Tiger Tank

So I figured I should start an official journal for this tank. Named it due to the Tiger Lotus and the Tiger Barb school.
Current Specs:
Size 20 gallon high Date Started Originally 1995, Revitalized July 2010 Lighting 2x24w T5 HO 6700k Life Glo 8hrs/day Equipment Ehiem Ecco 2232 Canister Filter, 150w heater CO2 Pressurized 5lb tank with glass diffuser and Burkert 6011 solinoid Substrate Flourite and Floramax Parameters 78F, 6.4 pH, 5 dKH, 8 dGH, 0 ppm Ammonia, 0 ppm NO2 Fertilization EI method Plants Java Moss, Amazon Sword, Glossostigma Elatinoides, Tiger Lotus, Onion Plant, Anubias, Java Fern. Inhabitants 2x Dwarf Puffers, 7x Tiger Barbs, 3x Kuhli Loachs, 4 Otos and occasionally snails for the puffers Comments *Tank in progress* Got this tank from my dad when he moved. It had an under gravel filter, gravel only substrate and a couple of plants. Ripped out the UGF after cycling the tank with the power filter for ~ 2 weeks, then did the same to switch to the canister filter (found one for a good price). Also, I'm using the regulator and CO2 tank from my old keg-o-rator, works perfectly!

So this tank has some history... My dad moved at the end of last year and had no way to bring it, so I took it. I found a nice little nook for it in a big cabinet that I have setup in my kitchen (I think it was supposed to be an entertainment center originally). The tank was unhealthy, with only a few plants (that were rotting), clown puke blue gravel, a couple neons and a cory. I decided I wanted to revitalize it and turn it into a nice planted tank, that's when I found these forums. I added some Tiger Barbs and some aquatic plants. I also found a good deal on some Floramax and figured it would be a good idea to mix this in with the blue gravel...

D'oh!
I was able to harvest some Java Moss from a nice piece of driftwood and add it to my other pieces of driftwood. I also added some Wisteria and Amazon Sword. I quickly became disgusted with the blue gravel :P At this point I also realized the under gravel filter was not good. I had a spare HOB filter from a friend that I cycled with the UGF for a couple weeks. But I knew the HOB wasn't ideal if I wanted to use CO2. I set up a DIY CO2 system anyways and ran it into the filter intake. Those green nets didn't work too well for the Java Moss.
To Be Continued....

Last edited by WillyJ; 09-11-2010 at 03:47 AM..
WillyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2010, 03:30 AM   #2
WillyJ
Algae Grower

I removed the flora and fauna and tore out the UGF. I bought a nice used Eheim Ecco 2232 from a PT member, he also hooked me up with a bunch of flourite. I connected my new canister filter immediately after removing the UGF and began cycling it with the HOB filter. I housed the fish and plants in a 10gal for awhile while the canister got established and cleared the water. I really should have removed all the blue gravel at this point...
Old 08-29-2010, 03:39 AM   #3
WillyJ
Algae Grower

I tied the Java Moss on to the other pieces of driftwood with fishing line, much better looking than those nets! I added a nice new lighting fixture (2x24w T5HO Life Glo 6700k) and I also converted my old keg-o-rator CO2 system into a planted tank CO2 system Only needed the cheap stuff: needle valve, bubble counter, check valves and diffuser.
The plants were growing in pretty well but the tank looked horrible with the clown puke everywhere...

Old 08-29-2010, 03:48 AM   #4
WillyJ
Algae Grower

I got a lot of good advice from PT members and decided to clean up the clown puke. Luckily I got that nice batch of free Flourite from Benny.
Here is my clown puke help thread:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...ange-over.html

This forum is amazing, all the members are super helpful

Anyways, here is the finished product:

I also added some of my favorite fish at this point, puffers! Specifically Indian Dwarf Puffers a.k.a Pea Puffers. It was finally looking somewhat respectable, but I failed to foresee the upcoming Wisteria battle...
Old 08-29-2010, 04:12 AM   #5
WillyJ
Algae Grower

Default Wisteria Battle

That Wisteria grew like crazy! I mean, I could sit there and see it growing.

It was too much work for me! I was eventually trimming 2-3x/week, it was crazy...

Puffers are awesome!

So I tore all the Wisteria out and added it to my 10gal, I needed a snail breeding tank for the puffers; they had completely cleared my 20g of all snails in about a week. The Wisteria has totally taken over the 10gal, but I think it works well for a guppy/RCS/snail breeding tank

And here's the 20g as it looks today, I've added a glass check valve, a much better needle valve than the one I found at my local hardware store, a sponge on the filter intake and a drop checker. Current fauna: 2xDwarf Puffers (1 male, 1 female), 7xTiger barbs, 4xOtos and breeding Glass/Ghost Shrimp. Current flora: Tiger Lotus, Java Moss, Amazon Sword, Glosso and Onion Plants.
(Cell phone pics, ugh! Can't wait to get a nice camera... soon)

Note: The high quality pictures on this thread were taken with my brother's Nikon D90, the bad pics were taken with my cheap cell phone.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:55 PM   #6
WillyJ
Algae Grower

I seem to be having a slight BGA problem on the Java Moss. I adjusted the filter outflow so it creates a little more flow in that area. I think I'm going to build a DIY spray bar (the Ehiem spray bar kit seems way overpriced to me...) Also, I have some algae growing on some of the sword leaves that looks almost like grass. Any idea what this could be and how to remedy it?
Old 08-30-2010, 05:23 PM   #7
VincentK
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Maracyn worked great for my BGA problem.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:45 PM   #8
WillyJ
Algae Grower

yeah, I've heard that. I'll give it a try. Do you need to combine it with a blackout of 3-5 days or does it generally do the job on it's own?
Old 08-31-2010, 04:20 PM   #9
WillyJ
Algae Grower

So I could only find a product called "Maracyn Oxy" at my LFS, is this the stuff I want? It's a liquid and not a powder like some of the threads here mention. I received a Anubis and Java Fern yesterday from a PT member (along with some RCS to add some diversity to my shrimp tank) and decided to do a little rescapping, which turned out to be a very good idea. Lately I was getting a very slight ammonia reading and the fish were acting weird. I found a dead barb wedged in a piece of driftwood, thats where the little sucker went! Did a minor water change and sucked out all the mulm I could. I then did a H2O2 dip on all the driftwood/moss. Boy they bubbled and crackled like crazy! Sounded like a bowl of rice crispies held up to a bullhorn. I strapped the anubis and java fern to some driftwood and rearranged it a bit, looks really nice! Hopefully all this, along with moving my light up about 5in and keeping up with fert dosing, will kick the BGA issue.

Last edited by WillyJ; 09-11-2010 at 03:53 AM..
Old 09-05-2010, 04:43 PM   #10
WillyJ
Algae Grower

Time for an update!

I finally got a nice camera (Cannon T1i) I love it.

So I was able to kick the BGA completely with H2O2 baths and 2mL/gal dosing. The tank looks real nice now except for something that looks like a red form of BBA, any ideas what this could be and how to get rid of it (see pic below)? I added a circulation pump in hopes that it would prevent any re-occurrence of BGA and kick the small BBA I have.

Red BBA?
Old 09-05-2010, 05:04 PM   #11
snausage
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)

Perhaps the clown puke gravel has been reincarnated as clown hair algae?

Really like the tank. I was never a fan of Tiger Barbs before, but I think I may put them in my 20L planted because they look so awesome schooling around the plants in your tank.
snausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:43 PM   #12
WillyJ
Algae Grower

haha, Clown Beard Algae perhaps?
Old 09-05-2010, 05:53 PM   #13
Raiden
Planted Member

PTrader: (17/100%)

I believe BBA turns red then white when it's dying off. Probably the effects of the H2O2 baths you were doing for the BGA.
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:02 PM   #14
WillyJ
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
I believe BBA turns red then white when it's dying off. Probably the effects of the H2O2 baths you were doing for the BGA.
Ah, good to hear! I see that some of it is starting to turn pink/white after this mornings H2O2 dose
Old 09-05-2010, 06:09 PM   #15
WillyJ
Algae Grower

The new Anubias is starting to get some brown spots on the leaves. I'm pretty sure it's not algae as the spots penetrate through the leaf. Is this just a symptom of the change in water conditions, or could it be due to too much light? (I know Anubias are supposedly low light plants but it looks really good where it is!)