Hawaiian freshwater sponges and clams
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Hawaii

Old 08-04-2010, 04:47 PM   #1
wili_wili
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hawaiian freshwater sponges and clams

Hi Hawaii Folks - I posted this on the shrimp and invertebrates section last night, but I'm reposting here too:

I am interested in finding and keeping freshwater sponges in an aquarium. I know they are filter feeders, so I assume they would need heavy levels of floating algae or other plankton. I found a few posts on here about sponges, but no success stories.

I saw some cold-water freshwater sponges (Spongilla sp.) in upstate NY this summer while on vacation, but didn't attempt to keep them alive. There's a very cool insect that specializes on them (an aquatic lacewing - family Sisyridae), so I was mainly looking for that, and found some. Anyhow, when I got back to Hawaii, I read that there is actually an indigenous warm-water species of freshwater sponge in Hawaii (see the book "Hawaii's Native and Exotic Freshwater Animals"). Have any of the Hawaii folks come across this? I would love to try it in a tank.

I'd also like to find a place to collect Asiatic freshwater clams in Hawaii, to try one or two in a tank. Invertebrates rule!

Thanks
Will
wili_wili is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2010, 09:57 PM   #2
taniner
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (71/100%)

There are freshwater clams in a stream near Hoomaunahea in Kaneohe.
taniner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2010, 06:35 AM   #3
wili_wili
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

hey taniner,
you mean ho'omaluhia? a friend told me he's seen freshwater sponges there too.
thanks,
will
wili_wili is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2010, 07:34 AM   #4
taniner
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (71/100%)

sorry for the spelling... yes Ho'omaluhia. There's stream near there that has freshwater clams. Not too sure about the sponges though. Got a pic of what they look like?
taniner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
clams, hawaii, invertebrates, sponges

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.