36 Gal. "Second Life"
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2010, 05:24 AM   #1
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru
 
Noahma's Avatar
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Northglenn, Colorado
Posts: 4,036
Default

36 Gal. "Second Life"


Well, After spending a bit of time learning, and staring at my tank, I have decided to Re-scape the tank.

Here are the specifics as the tank sits now.

36 gal. bowfront tank.
Fluval 205 Canister filter
Some sort of pain in the butt powerhead.

The tank consists plant wise of

Wistera (that resembles the blob at times.)
Two Lotus plants
Madagascar lace
Val. Americanas
Anacharis
Java Moss
Creeping Jenny
Belive it or not, There is a Red Rubin sword. (going to get a better position in the re-scape
Another HUGE sword, that will stay as it sits.
A couple Amazon swords. A small clump of remaining Marsiella Minuetta (will be replaced with Quadrifolia or Hirsuta (tons of it)
Red Ludwiga
Creeping Jenny.

The wisteria has taken over the tank lol. It will be minimized and put in the very rear of the tank, with other plants taking the stage as I get things going.

I purchased a very nice twisty piece of Driftwood from DSDrifter, which should be here by Friday (wahoo) After I submerge it for a few days, the rescape will commence.

My plan.

As you can see from the pic below of the existing tank. There is a HUGE ugly mass of stuff on the right of the tank. It started out as a fake log decoration, that has been consumed by Java Moss, and lived in by shy amano shrimp. This is going to be removed. I am doing that because I feel that my top level fish deserve the full length of the tank to swim. And it is a pain during tank work. The Red Rubin is behind this monstrosity, it is only surviving, and needs more space to grow. I also have a very small piece of driftwood on the left corner of the tank, this too has been taken by java moss, and has become the Cherry Shrimp headquarters. This may stay in its position, with the Anacharis finally being removed from the tank permanently.
There is also a fake rock decoration on the left side that is going to be removed as well.

As far as plants being added. I am going to add a couple of other plants into the mix, to help fill in a bit. And I will remove others that may not be doing as well.
The plants being added

Red Tiger Lotus (I have wanted one forever!)
Bacopa carolina
Brazilian Pennywort
Cardamine (Cardamine lyrata)

I know some of these require more light than I seem to have, but I have had a few plants in the past that did quite well regardless of the "lighting requirements"

The tank will stay CO2 less, although sometime in the future it might get reworked again with co2 and T5HO lighting.

This scape is going to take quite a while, I would have an extremely hard time removing the thousands of Cherry's and my quarantine tank will hold all of these fish for any length of time. So the tank will be rescaped over a period of weeks doing small movements and then large water changes.

Here are the pics of the driftwood (that is on the way) and the tank as it currently stands.




And the Driftwood.

Noahma is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-19-2010, 08:51 AM   #2
sapphoqueen
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
sapphoqueen's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Japan
Posts: 420
Default

we will wait to see it!
sapphoqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:18 AM   #3
Eden Marel
Planted Tank Guru
 
Eden Marel's Avatar
 
PTrader: (38/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Longmont, CO
Posts: 3,379
Default

Oohh , cool driftwood, I love it! I am planning to rescape my tank soon too as soon as I gather new plants. I see a TV reflection, and you put creepy jenny twice. XD Must love the creeping jenny. Can't wait to see the driftwood in action.
__________________
Eden Marel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:22 AM   #4
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru
 
Noahma's Avatar
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Northglenn, Colorado
Posts: 4,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden Marel View Post
Oohh , cool driftwood, I love it! I am planning to rescape my tank soon too as soon as I gather new plants. I see a TV reflection, and you put creepy jenny twice. XD Must love the creeping jenny. Can't wait to see the driftwood in action.
lol yea I asked my wife to turn off the tv for a min. and she got mad lol. And I did the post a couple hours later, and before bed haha. I do love the Creeping Jenny, it is a great hardy plant. In my 5.5 gal. it is growing out of the top of the tank, and up the wall.

I should have the driftwood tomorrow. UPS states that it is on time for delivery. It should not take long to sink, so the re-scape should start either end of week next week, or the beginning of the following week. I am going to go hit up Aqua imports tomorrow and see what they have, It is the delivery day for plants. If they do not have much, then I will place my online order for the stuff sitting in the checkout cart.
Noahma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:36 AM   #5
Eden Marel
Planted Tank Guru
 
Eden Marel's Avatar
 
PTrader: (38/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Longmont, CO
Posts: 3,379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
lol yea I asked my wife to turn off the tv for a min. and she got mad lol. And I did the post a couple hours later, and before bed haha. I do love the Creeping Jenny, it is a great hardy plant. In my 5.5 gal. it is growing out of the top of the tank, and up the wall.

I should have the driftwood tomorrow. UPS states that it is on time for delivery. It should not take long to sink, so the re-scape should start either end of week next week, or the beginning of the following week. I am going to go hit up Aqua imports tomorrow and see what they have, It is the delivery day for plants. If they do not have much, then I will place my online order for the stuff sitting in the checkout cart.
Growing out of the tank and onto the wall!! Soon your house is gonna have plants growing on the wall, like those vines people grow outside their house and climb their house, except yours will be inside. One of my friends claimed mushrooms were growing on their ceiling lol.

How much did your driftwood cost, what kind of wood that is? I bought me a medium mopani at Petsmart for $4.30... the FoCo and Loveland one didn't really have any nice shape that I envisioned, so I had to settle for the one at Loveland:



Is Aqua Imports that one place with the Amano Shrimp and Nerite Snails, I can't remember. Do they have nice plants, everytime I go to a fish store their plants are dead or dying, or they are 3-4x more expensive (only good if you are buying a few to save on shipping).
__________________
Eden Marel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:45 AM   #6
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru
 
Noahma's Avatar
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Northglenn, Colorado
Posts: 4,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden Marel View Post
Growing out of the tank and onto the wall!! Soon your house is gonna have plants growing on the wall, like those vines people grow outside their house and climb their house, except yours will be inside. One of my friends claimed mushrooms were growing on their ceiling lol.

How much did your driftwood cost, what kind of wood that is? I bought me a medium mopani at Petsmart for $4.30... the FoCo and Loveland one didn't really have any nice shape that I envisioned, so I had to settle for the one at Loveland:



Is Aqua Imports that one place with the Amano Shrimp and Nerite Snails, I can't remember. Do they have nice plants, everytime I go to a fish store their plants are dead or dying, or they are 3-4x more expensive (only good if you are buying a few to save on shipping).
the Driftwood was from DSdrifter in the S&S forum. It is a root wood of some sort that he collects along a local river in KY. Rod is a nice guy, and is easy to work with. When I get a chance, I will post a pic of the creeping jenny growing out of the tank lol. Right now it is all lumped on top of the HOB filter on the tank. Aqua imports is where I get most of my local plants. It is the nicer of the two boulder stores.
Noahma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:43 AM   #7
nemosreef
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
nemosreef's Avatar
 
PTrader: (54/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 927
Default

What kind of light and wattage are you using on this tank?
__________________
38gal. Tetras Forest.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...ml#post1418057
10gal. Jungle Low Tech.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...pdate-6-a.html
10gal. Planted Aquarium, 38gal. Planted Aquarium.
nemosreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:06 AM   #8
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru
 
Noahma's Avatar
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Northglenn, Colorado
Posts: 4,036
Default

It is a 30" coralife t5no fixture
Noahma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:10 AM   #9
marriemb
Newbie
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 1
Default

looks beautiful but cluttered Noahma it needs more space
marriemb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:37 PM   #10
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru
 
Noahma's Avatar
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Northglenn, Colorado
Posts: 4,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marriemb View Post
looks beautiful but cluttered Noahma it needs more space
Yep, which is why I decided to start a re-scape. Hopefully I can get a good chunk of it done this evening.
Noahma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:41 PM   #11
syzygy9
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 198
Default

Looking forward to the updates. Love the driftwood...maybe it will actually be visible in the new set-up.

I just ordered that same fixture (based in part on your input) for my 36G tank....hopefully it shows up before this next weekend so I can start getting mine set-up too.
syzygy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:53 PM   #12
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru
 
Noahma's Avatar
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Northglenn, Colorado
Posts: 4,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygy9 View Post
Looking forward to the updates. Love the driftwood...maybe it will actually be visible in the new set-up.

I just ordered that same fixture (based in part on your input) for my 36G tank....hopefully it shows up before this next weekend so I can start getting mine set-up too.
Well, there was one problem with the driftwood, the wrong item number was sent to me, I am not upset about it though, the one he sent was the same price, roughly the same size, and just as cool looking (will post pics later) it will change the overall scape a bit, but just as fun. The original incarnation was set up as my second planted tank, kind of a random see how it grows type thing. This new scape is a purposeful and planned scape, so I plan to see the driftwood lol
I really like this light fixture, it works great for most types of plant I have tried
Noahma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:25 AM   #13
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru
 
Noahma's Avatar
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Northglenn, Colorado
Posts: 4,036
Default

Well. Here is the driftwood that was sent. The colors are not as vibrant as it is when fully submerged, and with light on it. There are tones of light brown, dark brown. I also has rocks stuck into the side of it, which must have happened as the root grew. It is AWESOME.

Here is the wood, so far it is on day 4 of being submerged in a 30 gal Tupperware container with the hottest water my tap can produce.


Noahma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:28 AM   #14
Eden Marel
Planted Tank Guru
 
Eden Marel's Avatar
 
PTrader: (38/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Longmont, CO
Posts: 3,379
Default

Those rocks are not going to do anything weird to your water? It probably very minute if it does since they look like small rocks and you have a 36g. How long are you going to soak it for?
__________________
Eden Marel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:37 PM   #15
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru
 
Noahma's Avatar
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Northglenn, Colorado
Posts: 4,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden Marel View Post
Those rocks are not going to do anything weird to your water? It probably very minute if it does since they look like small rocks and you have a 36g. How long are you going to soak it for?
I was hoping it would have sank already, but.... its still floating very well lol. This afternoon I am going to drill several small holes in the cut area at the back and then re-soak it for a few days, and if it does not sink then, I will put some stainless steel screws in the bottom and wait. The rocks appear to be safe, and the largest one is around the size of a half dollar, the others are all much smaller. So right now, the only thing I am waiting on is the wood, then it is full steam ahead.
Noahma is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012