Eclipse or Minibow?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 01-04-2005, 01:53 PM   #1
wintermute
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Eclipse or Minibow?

My girlfriend's fallen in love w/ my tank and i think she wants a nice small (under 10 gallons) tank for herself (she loves ADF's). i figure i'd get her an all-in-one package just because they're more streamlined looking, as it were. What would you guys recommend as a all-in-one package: eclipse or minibow? which is better to set-up as a planted tank? which easier to fiddle w/ filter and lighting-wise? which is packaged w/ better equipment? are there other brands i should look at?
wintermute is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2005, 09:33 PM   #2
Thanks
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i wouldnt go with either... if you want to make it a planted tank, get something like an All glass aquarium 10 gallon, get an interior filter or a small cannister filter like fluval 104. this way, you can get whatever lighting you want, and arent restricted by size of the built in hood. You could even make a stand and hood, and get an AH supply 36 watt PC kit.

IF you are not considering going planted, definately get an eclipse 6 or 12, they are awesome tanks for the money
Old 01-04-2005, 09:38 PM   #3
Jdinh04
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (85/100%)

I would go with the eclipse since they look so much better and have awesome lighting. If you want something a little fancier, I would buy one of the nano cubes for $100. Don't know what price range you are willing to spend but both can be great tanks.
Jdinh04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 11:06 PM   #4
BlueRam
Wannabe Guru

wintermute:

I would recomend the 5.5 or 10 gal AGA combo which should sell for ~$20. I can get decent growth by swapping the incandecent with a sprial PC. I DIYed one of the 5.5's to house 2X sprial PCs when i wanted more light. Add a heater (ebo-jager best IMHO ~$18 online) and maybe an aquaclear mini (or what ever the new name is ~$10 online) and you could have something that looks nice, does not need daily maintence, and grows a healthy stand of Rotala indica/java moss/anubius etc...
Old 01-04-2005, 11:14 PM   #5
Thanks
Planted Tank Enthusiast

yes! thats a good idea, if you have the $$ to spend, buy a NANOcube, 12 gallons, good filter, excellent plant lighting.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:55 AM   #6
wintermute
Algae Grower

If it was for me, I'd get the 10-gallon, glass top, AH Supply 2 X 13 W retro kit, aquaclear mini, ebo-jager heater, eco-complete, etc. (oh wait, i did). but it's for the g/f. it's to fit on top of a breakfast nook and i know she won't want a slapped together look that most enthusiasts'll put up w/ to have the best system.

so, a 10-gallon'll be too big. and i'm still not sure about the eclipse or minibow. i'm kinda leaning toward the eclipse because she most likely will not want a "planted tank" per se, and the bio filtration kicks butt. on the other hand, w/ the minibow, if i get an aquaclear mini on it, and an extra sponge or two, that'll have some kick-butt bio filtration, and filter maintenance'll be cheaper in the long term. but w/ the HOB, i'm starting to stray from that all-in-one look. and w/ the minibow, it's easier to get to 2 wpg if she decides to go the planted route.

i guess, when it comes down to it/ it's 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of the other and i'm obsessing over it too much.
wintermute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 07:35 AM   #7
supaoopa
Planted Member

i'd go with an eclipse because its a good all in one package with a very clean looking appearance all the way around. The lighting is good enough for some low light plants which would help to make it a nice low maintance tank (sure your girlfriend would appreciate). Good luck with whatever you choose.
supaoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 01:47 PM   #8
misa212
Algae Grower

Default "Alife" nano kit

The guys at my LFS (http://www.aquaticcreationsinc.com/index.htm) have these cool 8L kits - you get the cube aquarium, a little HOB sponge filter, some food and a light for $50. Here's what it looks like:
http://www.misamartin.com/aquariums/victor1.jpg
http://www.misamartin.com/aquariums/victor2.jpg

Just a thought. It's pretty streamlined, I think!
I added a little flat pad heater (tucked under substrate) Also FWIW the filter is very quiet.
Misa
misa212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 10:55 PM   #9
badmatt
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to badmatt Send a message via MSN to badmatt Send a message via Yahoo to badmatt

eclipes 6's give a very good groths gewt a hagen co2 kit and your set really its that easy, oh and a heater
visiterm 25 watt is good

heres mine

this is how it look after i changed the sub strate bad mistake look like crap....

so i took the tank down and replaced it with this bad boy

this is how a bone stock nanocube will look with plants pretty nice
Eheim Pimp Club Member #47
125G discus

Other money Pit's
05 GTO- exhaust, tune, intake.
97 Bagged Sonoma - layin frame on 22's
00 GMC Jimmy.... DD stock
badmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 11:00 PM   #10
badmatt
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to badmatt Send a message via MSN to badmatt Send a message via Yahoo to badmatt

got some algea but its ebcause its a new tank i find that 50/50 lighting doesnt prmote algea like others say it does. plus i like the look beter with the 50/50 bulb
Eheim Pimp Club Member #47
125G discus

Other money Pit's
05 GTO- exhaust, tune, intake.
97 Bagged Sonoma - layin frame on 22's
00 GMC Jimmy.... DD stock
badmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 12:09 AM   #11
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmatt
got some algea but its ebcause its a new tank i find that 50/50 lighting doesnt prmote algea like others say it does. plus i like the look beter with the 50/50 bulb
The Diatoms growing on your amazon sword plant beg to differ ;-) Diatoms are what love the actinic. I do agree that the heavy blue does make an attractive light though...
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote