Pearlweed?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 12-12-2004, 04:47 PM   #1
pufferfreak
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via MSN to pufferfreak Send a message via Yahoo to pufferfreak

Pearlweed?

Do you think pearlweed will grow in the JBJ 12 gallon cube with 24watts lighting? I have pool filter sand right now, but I am thinking about getting some eco-complete for it. No doseing as of right now, letting the plants get established, but I am going to dose flourish and flourish excel. Any thoughts?
pufferfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2004, 05:53 PM   #2
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

I would say depends.

It depends on the light, can't remember what kind and what reflectors you are using, but if they are good, and you use some kind of efficient lighting, I'd say sure, it will grow.

It depends on your fertilizing. If you don't dose macros, it might not grow. If your NO3 levels are around 5 ppm, I'd say sure, it will grow.

Also there are different types of Pearlweed. While none of them are extremely difficult, I wasn't successful with the "normal" 3-4 leaved type, while the two-leaved one grows like the name says.

Finally, only trying it will tell you if it will grow or not. There isn't really any way to tell what will grow in your tank and what won't. Go for it!
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 06:21 PM   #3
pufferfreak
Wannabe Guru

thanks, its only 24watts 6700k with a square reflector I believe. I dont really know what my NO3 levels are right now since I dont really have a test kit. Trying to get one though. I planted it all over the substrate, wonder if it will grow
Old 12-13-2004, 12:54 AM   #4
BSS
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

I'm pretty sure it will grow, it'll really be more a question of whether it grows the way you want or not . I have some in my main tank and it grows thick and bushy and I could grow it horizontal if I wanted. I put some stems in my daughter's "play" 10g w/ a stock 20w light. It grew straight up and fairly leggy.

FWIW, Brian.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:23 AM   #5
pufferfreak
Wannabe Guru

hmm well thanks! I have it planted everwhere, and the plants are so small it looks like a freaking foreground! Hope it does like I want! Thanks~
Old 12-13-2004, 04:12 AM   #6
Oqsy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy

hope it works out for you, let's see a pic!

Oqsy
Eheim Pimp #171
55 gallon jungle in progress; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
Oqsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 05:21 AM   #7
reddaggerz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hey Puff!
reddaggerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 05:49 AM   #8
pufferfreak
Wannabe Guru

right now its all covered in hair algae, go figure lol. Hey Redd!! Welcome to Plantedtank.net!
Old 01-01-2005, 06:07 AM   #9
reddaggerz
Algae Grower

This is a really nice site...some of the member tanks that are posted on the main board are simply awe-inspiring.

Oqsy, is that a german blue ram? He looks alot like mine!
Old 01-01-2005, 07:04 AM   #10
Oqsy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy

puffer: that's the same plant that came to me around the time my hair started in. I hope I didn't infect you! at least you've got the new CO2 system to set up to help fight it off

reddaggerz: yep, that's a german blue! I just got 3 wilds (thinking they're all female right now) today, and I'm hoping to start a 50/50 strain that's pretty AND less fragile.
right now I have:
2 male german blues (different lines)
1 female german blue (same line as one of the males, probably sibling)
2 confirmed female wild blues
1 unconfirmed but most likely female wild blue

if the unknown wild turns out to be a male i'll try to pair it with my female german. if my wilds decide to breed amongst themselves, i won't stop them, and could use the offspring. it looked like there was some pairing happening tonight before I turned the lights off.

Oqsy
Eheim Pimp #171
55 gallon jungle in progress; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
Oqsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 12:32 AM   #11
reddaggerz
Algae Grower

That's awesome, Oqsy! I have two German Blue Rams, and both appear to be male (at least, the one you see in my avatar is always kicking the others ~rump~ across the tank and back!

I'd like to get my hands on one, or better, a pair of female rams...I'd like to try my hand at breeding.

BTW, I'll be a lurker for a while, as I don't have a planted tank yet. I'm supposed to be getting a 75g tank sometime in january, and I got a look at the pic for the december calendar here and I'm wanting to try to make this tank a planted one, so I'll be reading up in the meantime!