Marineland Betta-Sphere as nano tank?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 12-13-2004, 10:32 PM   #1
Toyman321
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Marineland Betta-Sphere as nano tank?

Marineland Betta Sphere

I've spotted these before and although they are way way way too small for a betta I was thinking one would make a really sharp looking planted bowl. My question is lighting... I know some people have used LED lighting in planted tanks, The depth of this thing is only about 7 inches so the light would not have to penitrate much water but it only has a single white LED, would this be too little light even for low light plants?
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2004, 01:58 AM   #2
trenac
Wannabe Guru

Dr. Foster & smith has a small clip on light called "palm light" that has a 7 watt CF bulb with a 6500k full spectrum illumination. They also have the Betta-sphere for $14.99.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:36 PM   #3
Aphyosemion
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion
Talking

I have looked at those little bowls at my LFS where they have them set up with a beta inside. I would guess that dim little light that comes with the bowl wouldn't even get moss to grow for you. A palm light would probably do the trick for low light plants, though. I personally think that anything smaller than a 1 gallon tank would be difficult to do anything effective with though, unless you are Takashi Amano.
-Aphyosemion
Old 12-14-2004, 10:43 PM   #4
Toyman321
Algae Grower

This wouldnt be the first 1 litre planted tank I have put together, I have never seen it done with these LED lights before, I know people have used multiple LED's on larger tanks, though I have never seen the intensity of the LED that comes with this setup. The bigges PITA is getting the lighting and whatnot from looking cluttery... though this might be a solution if the intesnity is enough, Im pretty sure the spectrum is fine in the whirte LED's
Old 12-15-2004, 08:03 AM   #5
silicagel
Algae Grower

Luxeon LEDs are insanely power efficient and durable.

I have no idea where to begin choosing one for it's light spectrum properties, but it'd be interesting to see a massive row of LEDs for a planted tank.

Maybe when I have some spare time.
silicagel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2005, 08:14 PM   #6
SnyperP
Planted Member

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...ghlight=led%2A
SnyperP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2005, 08:47 PM   #7
secretagent
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well im sure this is possible. I Hvae seen reef tanks kept... Thats were ive been latly (on the dark side of the aquarium hobby *MWAHAHAHA*)

La la la la
I live in my own little world, but thats ok, they know me here...

Man! Good to be back! I have been soo consumed with my saltwater tank and school it's just so sad to let my empty fishtanks go to waste!

----SO LETS GET IT ON!----
Back to the Good side We shall travel!
secretagent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.