phosphorus + magnesium
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 04-11-2003, 03:40 AM   #1
fishpoop
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to fishpoop

my amano shrimp died, they only lasted a few days I wanted them to eat some hair alge but now, after reading more ideas about alge i'm trying to perfect the nutrient levles. I had about .5ppm iron and 5-10ppm nitrate i think the high iron helpes hair alge specificly. my phosphorus reads zero and i dont know anything about magnesium but these are on Chuck's calculator. is it important to raise the phosphorus + magnesium levles, do i need to dose phosphorus to bring it above zero. what happens if i dont?
and how do i avoid overdosing K, b/c there are no test kits for that?
(the Mg levles recomended are 5-10ppm on chucks page)

ps. those amano shrimp were to expencive [$6.99CAN] for the alge they were slowly eating I dont know why they died
fishpoop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2003, 08:00 AM   #2
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

Well if you don't have any Phosphates you will get algae. So you do need to dose them. As for the magnesium you can use epsom salts. To avoid over dosing K just do a 50% water change every week and dose enough to bring that amount of water up to 20 ppm.

Lots of things kill shrimp. Copper levels that are too high. Water too soft. I also dose some iodide in the water for the little guys.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2003, 09:10 PM   #3
lanstar
Planted Member

Rex is absolutely right. I can tell you from experience. When I started dosing a small amount of phosphate, my algae problem almost completely disappeared. It took a while, though. It goes against the old tradition that phospahtes cause algae... I think we're finding out that too much OR too little phosphates cause algae.

With too little phosphate, plants can't use the other nutrients as efficiently. Also, phosphate is one of the prime constituients of DNA. Your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate processing bacteria colony will suffer as well if phosphates are zero.

Fish food contains some phosphate. If your fish load increases (adding new ones or old ones growing) you may find that your need to add additional phosphate (and nitrate, if you're adding that) decreases. Go slow and test regularly till you get a feel for what your particular tank needs.
Old 05-26-2003, 02:04 AM   #4
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

Tom Barr once wrote that the whole idea that phosphates cause algae was formed in northern lakes with small plant bio-mass. If you go to warmer southern lakes with high to very high plant bio-mass phosphates cause no problems.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:01 PM   #5
fishpoop
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to fishpoop

I still have not got my fertilizing right and so I still have a lot of hair algae. I thought I was doing everything right when I realized I was dosing K for the entire tank volume every week after a 20% water change
my phosphates are still zero; where do I get a small amount of phosphate?
I'v noticed thick green algae between the glass and the gravel, I think the sunlight from a window about 4' from the tank may have been helping the hair alage so i'll keep the shade closed and watch for a difference.
fishpoop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2003, 01:02 AM   #6
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

Fleet enema is the best way to get a small amount of phosphate.
Old 05-28-2003, 01:52 PM   #7
Rickster
Algae Grower

At the risk of sounding stoopid (again), what is K? Man I need a the table of elements.
Eheimpimp#137
90 gallon tank with water and some fish. Plants died and tank overrun with algae. Lights nearly burst into flames last weekend. Needs lots of help
Rickster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2003, 02:21 PM   #8
digger
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to digger

K is potassium.
digger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2003, 02:26 PM   #9
Rickster
Algae Grower

Thanks
Eheimpimp#137
90 gallon tank with water and some fish. Plants died and tank overrun with algae. Lights nearly burst into flames last weekend. Needs lots of help
Rickster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.