New Tank and Filter Design - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 07-22-2010, 09:34 AM   #31
OverStocked
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)

I only speak from experience. If you are set on having it be on a central system, you really should look at some of the examples out there. The easiest to maintain and the most efficient to use are the simplest ones, usually.

IN the end, you will spend more time looking at your tank instead of what is under and behind.

With a planted tank, efficient mechanical filtration is essential. I recommend using filter socks on the input into the sump for quick, easy change out.

LIke so.

Allows you to switch out prefilters without even stopping flow. Plus it will make maintaining the rest even easier.

In the end you will find what is best, but you might be like some of us and end up doing it 3 or 4 times and spending wayyy too much before you get it just right. Thats what most of us do in most of this hobby.
OverStocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2010, 09:37 AM   #32
soundgy
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to soundgy

You have some pretty great ideas. This is what I needed. Not people bashing my diagram, but providing alternatives. I am drawing the new schematic now. Awesome suggestion on the sock!
soundgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:40 AM   #33
OverStocked
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)

The sock is a cpr aquatics, runs about 20 bucks with the mount. Get a couple of the socks so you can switch them out quick.

Sorry if I sounded discouraging, I just know what it is like to design, build, spend and then end up having to do it over again. and again. and again.

For the sump, provide as much room as possible.
OverStocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:58 AM   #34
soundgy
Planted Member

I will order some of those socks when I start building the sump. Those are cool.

Don't worry about it. It's hard to interpret people's emotions on these forums anyways. I really do value your opinions though. I have revised the drawing to a much simpler form, fell free to bash this new one.

I will probably make the sump a 55 gal instead of a 20 gal now since I have extra space without all of that stuff in the mix.

See the first post for the newly revised diagram.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:06 PM   #35
nokturnalkid
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)

The new design looks alot better. The only thing I would question is the heater/chiller on the 55 gal output line. I don't know how efficient it will be in chilling the other tank. How about having the chiller/heater on it's own loop in the sump? I'm not sure if that will work better. The heating and chilling is going to be the hard part since the smaller tank will raise/lower temp a lot faster than the bigger tank.
nokturnalkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:00 AM   #36
soundgy
Planted Member

Thanks! Thanks to water's ability to absorb and release heat, even chilling or heating the 55 gal will keep the 20 at the same temp. Even though you are right, the 20 could potentially waiver faster than the 55, the water would not have a long enough time inside of the 20 gal to raise or lower the temp enough. The equilibrium in water is faster than that tank can fluctuate. Water is awesome! The reason for not having the chiller/heater on it's own loop is to limit the number of connections and pumps. I like this design a lot now. I think there is definite potential for improvement, but this is significantly better than version 1.

Thanks for all of your suggestions!

Tags
auto, filter, multi, sump, tank