Help needed from Fluval 404 Owners..
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 12-19-2004, 02:19 AM   #1
enchanted
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Help needed from Fluval 404 Owners..

I went to do my water change tonight and noticed my flow was off considerably from what it should be and was just trickeling.

I immediately checked for any leaks or any wet spots and found none.

Now, here is my problem. At the moment if I tear it apart I have no way to restart it.

I recieved this used and the primer was fairly worn and broke on me, along with this I broke the aquastop handles. I had not ordered replacements yet since it was the holidays and figured I would just let it run.

Well, that isn't an option now. Luckily I'm still running a Penguin 333 on this tank.

If it wasn't for bills I would just order up an Eheim, but that is not an option at this point.

So Monday night (after I get paid) I'm placing an order with bigals since no one locally has the parts in stock I need.

Based of what is transpiring and that I can still feel the impeller running I have put these in my list, if there is anything you can think of please tell me.

Fluval Intake Strainer With Check Valve
Fluval Aqua Stop with Handle For 104-404
Fluval Intake Stem(104-404)
Fluval Self Primer Assembly
Big Al's Filter Floss-10 Sq.Ft.

Also, I have read both yes and no to carbon. Should I run carbon? Currently I am just running the ceramic bio, filter floss, and carbon but had intended on removing the carbon.

Any help/advice appreciated.
Co2: Pressurized Co2 - Rex Grigg Regulator, SMS 122, and Rex Grigg Reactor.
Plants: Pogostemon yatabeanus, Foxtail, Bacopa, Egeria najas, Anubius, E. 'Ozelot Red', Ranalisma rostrata, Hornwort, Rotala Indica, Ludwigia Repens, Vals, Cabomba, Lilly, MoneyWort
enchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2004, 02:34 AM   #2
enchanted
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well, update. I have output again so I am wondering if maybe it is just clogged. What would anyone recommend for media?
Plants: Pogostemon yatabeanus, Foxtail, Bacopa, Egeria najas, Anubius, E. 'Ozelot Red', Ranalisma rostrata, Hornwort, Rotala Indica, Ludwigia Repens, Vals, Cabomba, Lilly, MoneyWort
Old 12-19-2004, 02:37 AM   #3
mpb
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I use only ceramic and filter floss. No carbon.
Old 12-19-2004, 04:51 AM   #4
bharada
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

No carbon unless I'm trying to remove tannins or medication from the water. Otherwise I use the ceramic media (the pre-filter and bio noodles) topped with floss.

If you ever need to restart it before you get replacement parts you can always use a small powerhead to pump water into the intake pipe.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:51 AM   #5
Account_Cancelled

PTrader: (0/0%)

My Fluval 404 drops flowrate by half afer two weeks in my 75gallon, but i've also got a dozen full grown Yellow Labs in there. In my opinion, Fluvals aren't that good unless you pack them lightly with media. Generally just biomedia (ceramics) and some filter floss. The floss will clog up quickest and will kill your flow.
Account_Cancelled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 02:05 PM   #6
enchanted
Planted Tank Obsessed

Floss will clog up quick in any filter, not just fluvals. The flow is back to 100% at the moment, although it will probably drop again over the weekend when I do my water change.

I order the replacement primer and filter floss from Bigals, I should have them next week.

I do plan to upgrade to an Ehiem 2128 but not due to lack of the Fluval. The 2128 has an integrated heater and I am putting two on the wall unit I'm building for my living room.

Overall for a used filter this one has done extremely well and I can vouch for the fact that Hagen is a good company.