best temperature to grow plants at?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 05-23-2003, 05:17 PM   #1
Ptahkeem
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

i was wondering what temperatures you guys grow your plants at? currently i have mine stable at around 78c but was wondering if anything below 75c would be ok too?

second question is my plants are yellowing does this mean that i need ferts? only the newer leaves growing in are yellow what am i doing wrong? do i need trace minerals or do i need to use something like flourish? ackkkk
Ptahkeem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2003, 07:26 PM   #2
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

78 is a good temp... most of the plants like the water on the cooler side then the warmer. I keep my tanks at 76-78.

The yellowing is "generally" an iron or pottasium defiency...
I say generally because you havent given much to go on...plant names showing these symptoms would be helpful...
What are you fertilizing your plants with now?
Old 05-23-2003, 08:14 PM   #3
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

Same question, two different forums. 78c is way too hot for plants. 78f is fine.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2003, 08:48 PM   #4
Ptahkeem
Planted Member

oops i meant 78f. haha sorry.
as for the plants i have some
sunset hygro, rotala somethingorother, anubis nana?, am hoping to get some glosso going in this tank, and i dont really know the other names of the other plants in there.
so far i havent been using ferts ive been trying to figure out my other parameters first like co2 and light.
as far as light goes im using 2 55watt power compacts from ahsupply and i will be setting up my pressurized co2 system very soon. this is a new tank and i havent really finalized anything yet. the reason i ask all this is because i had everything in a 20 gallon just as a temporary setup until i got my 40 gallon ready to go. thanks again for the suggestions and sorry for the lack of details. oh one last thing you think 74f would be ok for the plants?
Ptahkeem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2003, 09:00 PM   #5
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

74f is just fine for plants. Plants generally prefer temperature on the cooler side anyway. We keep our tanks warmer for the fish, not the plants. You should be fine!
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2003, 04:13 AM   #6
Steve Hampton
Planted Member

This isn't meant to correct, but rather to share additional information. Temperature is probably the biggest misunderstood element about planted tanks. Every plant has an optimum temperature range. Outside that range to either side and the plants metabolism and photosynthesis slows down. This also explains why plants don't flourish year round in their native environments. Many mistakes are made to increase/decrease nutrients, increase CO2, and/or increase lighting to solve issues caused by wrong temperature slow growth.

Accordingly, Kasselmann devotes three sections and the first Appendix to defining optimum temperature. As a general overall range she gives 75F to 80F as optimal for the vast majority of hobbyist kept plants.

Certainly I'm not trying to suggest that 74F is going have a big effect on slowing plant growth. But is certainly is another factor and should be considered by anyone wanting optimum growth. Problems come in when the temperature is adjusted outside the optimum range without decreasing lighting and nutrients to compensate. Personally, I'd keep my tanks at lower temperatures than I do (about 80F), but the heat generated from my lights keep the temperature that high.
Steve Hampton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2003, 04:18 AM   #7
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

I know the feeling! My 135 gallon wont get any cooler then 86 degree's. I've been having a devil of a time trying to find plants that can survive in the heat. So for my Hygro seems to do the best...

GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.