Can't keep Milwaukee bubble rate consistant - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 12-06-2004, 02:52 PM   #16
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

The only time I've ever had problems with consistency of bubble rate is when the secondary pressure is set too low. Set it at 20-30 psi and always regulate the bubble rate with the needle valve. Don't regulate the bubble rate with the pressure valve. I think it has something to do with the seals in the needle valve not seating properly at lower pressures.
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2004, 04:04 PM   #17
AaronT
Collectoritis Patient

PTrader: (201/100%)

I had this problem with mine too. I noticed that the water in the bubble counter evaporated rather quickly so I removed it and put teflon tape on both the bottom and the cap and all seems good now.
AaronT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 01:19 AM   #18
Marc
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHawke
Thanks! I'll do that in the next day or so (right now I've had a couple of "adult beverages" , and tomorrow I've got to decorate a Xmas tree, or I'd do it sooner.)
Any new progress? Ive been dealing with a similar issue- When my solenoid clicks off at night, in the morning i will be zero bubbles. Second gauge reads 25# and i have no leaks. Do you think its the needle valve?

TIA
Marc
Old 12-19-2004, 01:25 AM   #19
fishyboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

i had the same issue when i kept the 2nd gauge dailed down... turn it up to 30ish and it'll be fine
fishyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 02:04 AM   #20
Marc
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyboy
i had the same issue when i kept the 2nd gauge dailed down... turn it up to 30ish and it'll be fine
fishyboy- thanks for the quick response! I'll give it a try hopefully this does the trick!
Old 12-19-2004, 01:20 PM   #21
RoseHawke
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke

As fishyboy and GG said, I've turned up the output to 30# and it seems to have decided to straighten up and fly right. At least I haven't had to mess with it in almost a week now.

55 gallon - Hi-Res — 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish
10 gallon — lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
RoseHawke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 09:09 PM   #22
Marc
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHawke
As fishyboy and GG said, I've turned up the output to 30# and it seems to have decided to straighten up and fly right. At least I haven't had to mess with it in almost a week now.
Ive been at my parents home so i'll have to try it tonight. 30#s if i remember correctly is the highest the 2nd gauge will read, so i hope that does the trick. I maybe also be having this problem due to the fact that im using an eheim diffuser.. i stuck it all the way at the bottom, maybe it just takes extra pressure to fight gravity. *crossing finger*
Old 12-19-2004, 09:18 PM   #23
bharada
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
Ive been at my parents home so i'll have to try it tonight. 30#s if i remember correctly is the highest the 2nd gauge will read, so i hope that does the trick. I maybe also be having this problem due to the fact that im using an eheim diffuser.. i stuck it all the way at the bottom, maybe it just takes extra pressure to fight gravity. *crossing finger*
The right guage reads all the way up to 150psi. I keep mine up at 40psi (which is the pressure that the JBJ regulators come fixed at) and have never had a problem with my bubble rate drifting.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:33 PM   #24
gsd78
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Well, I started this thread so I might as well add that cranking the right gauge pressure up to 35psi fixed my problem as well. I also took off the teflon tape I had been using. Even though the directions with the regulator say to use it I finally realized it really does nothing. My bubble rate has been perfectly consistant since then.

My 240gal Square Tank Journal

Mr. Aqua 12 gal Long
gsd78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 08:42 PM   #25
BSS
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

I was at 20 psi previously and it was inconsistent. Raising the level to 30 seems to have cured my drift also.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:12 PM   #26
RoseHawke
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke

Okay, I'm gonna quote from the instructions as they are sent with the regulator, and is where I at least was having problems:
Turn the adjustment knob (E) clockwise until you get a reading on the low pressure gauge (F) of approx. 10 lbs or less on the inside set of number (psi). You should now see bubbles in the bubble counter. It is recommended that you use the bubble counter rather than the right gauge to determine your flow rate. Only use the needle valve if you can not get exact flow from adjustment knob (E).
The bold and underlining is exactly as it is in the instructions. Now I don't know about anyone else, but to me that sounds like a) you're supposed to keep the pressure on that right gauge at 10# or less and b) using the needle valve is a bad thing! Yet what we're experiencing in the real world is that it's totally impossible to keep a consistent flow with less than about 25-30# on the right gauge, and trying to follow these instructions to the letter, I found (of course) that "adjustment knob (E)" would just close itself up (like trying to get just a steady drip on a faucet to protect against freezing) at such a low rate, barely cracked really.

55 gallon - Hi-Res — 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish
10 gallon — lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
RoseHawke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 09:18 PM   #27
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

I guess sometimes there's an advantage to not reading the instructions. :P 30 psi has been the magic # for me.
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 11:34 PM   #28
Marc
Wannabe Guru

okay so i turned up the pressure on mine to 40#. 30#'s is the highest my second gauge reads so the needle is way past the 30# mark. This has solved my problem. If it brakes anything i'll just replace the gauge.