new 24 gallon nano cube
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 12-09-2004, 03:17 AM   #1
nanocube
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

new 24 gallon nano cube

I'm not sure if i'm the only one, but i am addicted to these new cube style tanks. I just saw the first batch of the new 24 gallon nano cube. They are much bigger than i expected. The new models are dual fan cooled, have 2 -36 watt 50/50 bulbs with and external ballast, and 290 GPH filter. Seeing that there is no freshwater version, some modifications will have to be done in order for the 24 gallon to work for a planted tank. New pump has a directional output nozzle, but there is no flow rate meter and i would imagine 290 GPH is a little much for a 24 gallon tank. Also, 50/50 bulbs would need to be replaced or else its algae fest. I did notice that the sump in the rear area is huge, about 2 inches deeper. I was really tempted and almost bought one, but at $300 a pop, I'm going to have to wait and see if this is what i really want. Just in case anyone wants dimensions, the cubes are 18 inches long, 19.6 inches wide, and 19.7 inches high(Includes top).
nanocube is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2004, 03:26 AM   #2
Robert H
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

$300?? Retail price is around $250. Are you sure there is no ajustment for the flow rate? It should be the same as their 12 gallon, switch on the pump that is inside the filter. The only change to make it freshwater is the light bulb, and a 6500 kelvin light bulb is available for it. I will be carrying it soon.

I will let you know another secret. JBJ has another new one not yet on their WEB site, and not released to stores yet: it is a six gallon glass cube with an 18 watt compact flourescent AND built in LED night lights! It has two fans in the canopy, and the same three stage filtration in the back of the tank. It is a nifty little tank and the first on the market to have LED lights.
RAOK Club #1
Kindness like love is unconditional
Robert H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 05:03 AM   #3
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (8/100%)

What's the suggested retail price for the 6 gallon? Sounds very interesting.

Ibn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 05:28 AM   #4
Rolo
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Can the two 36w bulbs be turned on/off independently of each other?

Nanocube - Where did you find it for sale?

Robert - Any time frame when you will make it avaliable?
Old 12-09-2004, 05:57 AM   #5
nanocube
Algae Grower

Neat, I was thinking about installing LED lights on the 24 gallon (didn't quite know how i was going to do it though). I'm almost positive there is no flow adjuster. The power head looks different from the one on my 12 gallon in which there is a little blue lever. But there might be some kind of internal switch-it would only make sense. Maybe Ill have to take a closer look at it next time. The tank seems to be clearly aimed at reef tanks (though on the box they show a nice planted tank) this would explain the high water flow.
The nano cubes are on sale at my LFS here in GA. They got their tanks from sun pets in Atl-so i guess the $300 is due to a double markup.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:00 AM   #6
nanocube
Algae Grower

about the bulbs, they both turn on, and they both turn on. The twin fans are connected to that same light switch which is located on the external ballast. May i add, the fans are almost silent.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:07 PM   #7
Ahkuma
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Here is a link for the 24: http://www.southbroadwaytropicals.co.../NanoCubes.htm
Ahkuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 04:49 AM   #8
nanocube
Algae Grower

Well, I tried to resist, but i went ahead and bought the new 24 gallon cube. To my surprise, the 290 GPH power head is not all that strong and even though there is no flow rate, I think im just going to stick with it. I did order 2 36 watt 6500k bulbs to replace the 50/50s it came with. I'm going to be asking for a lot of help during the next few weeks. Already added 2 bags of eco complete and i got a co2 tank on the way. Still need a solenoid and a diffuser.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:41 PM   #9
Rolo
Wannabe Guru

Is there much room in the filter for say, a Hagen ladder or diffuser and a submersible heater?
Old 12-12-2004, 10:37 PM   #10
fishfry
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

anymore info on the 6 gallon?
fishfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 12:21 AM   #11
nanocube
Algae Grower

Tons of Room! I got a 12 gallon here and i have both a hagen ladder and a heater in the rear sump. The 24 gallon only has 3 chambers in the rear but they are much bigger. The two chambers to the right of the sponge are 6 inches wide, 3.25 inches deep, and about 17 inches in height each. The hood also has 3 additional cutouts in the rear, for heater wire and co2 tubing.
Old 12-19-2004, 02:00 AM   #12
Rolo
Wannabe Guru

Consider $300 a good buy for now. I saw one today at the LFS and they had it up for $405. And yeah, these 24g are a lot bigger then I expected too. Nothing 'nano' about them.

But I noticed they have 2 different models of the 12g, with quite a price difference too. One's a 48 watter and the other has 24w. Are there different models for the 24g?
Old 12-19-2004, 01:57 PM   #13
badmatt
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to badmatt Send a message via MSN to badmatt Send a message via Yahoo to badmatt

www.nanocustoms.com

they sell them for 210 and they will switch the bulbs for you if you wnat.
Eheim Pimp Club Member #47
125G discus

Other money Pit's
05 GTO- exhaust, tune, intake.
97 Bagged Sonoma - layin frame on 22's
00 GMC Jimmy.... DD stock
badmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 03:03 AM   #14
nanocube
Algae Grower

the 24 gallon only comes in one model so far and thats with 72 watts using 50/50 bulbs. Ive noticed that the nano cube is actually made by BOYU(says boyu on the lights). I don't know too much about Boyu, but i think they are a company in Europe. Im assuming jbj is just a distributer and doesnt actually produce the nano cube. Like the 12 gallon, the new 24 gallon has lived up to its name. I filled the 24 gallon up and its as MOST 21 gallons, put in substrate and we are looking at a 19 or 20 gallon tank. Also, the specs on the website, and the nano cube box, say that the cube is 19.7 inches wide, when it is only about 17 inches wide. 19.7 and 17! This is a huge difference when we are dealing with such a small tank. I was really disappointed to find out that the tank was not a true 24 gallon. Any ways, I got my latest shipment in. The list includes, ebo jager heater, CO2 canister, sms 122 ph controller, miwaulkee solenoid, and 3 bags of eco complete. Looks like I'm going to be having a merry christmas-and one heck of a credit card bill!