New JBJ Regulator has leak :( Help? (56k+ with pics)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 12-18-2004, 06:08 AM   #1
motifone
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

New JBJ Regulator has leak :( Help? (56k+ with pics)

Been using this JBJ Regulator with bubble counter on a 5lb CO2 tank for 1.5 weeks now. Decided to double check for leaks tonight, since I'm going away. Low and behold I found a leak using soapy water on a joint I may have overlooked last time. I think the pictures speak for themselves. There's a nice big soap bubble where the leak is burping out. For those of you with the JBJ Regulator, I see a little bit of green stuff (almost like a filling material) where that joint goes into the metal. There is a small break in the green stuff where the leak is. Then again, I looked on the underside of this joint -- no green stuff there either, but also no leak. What's the green stuff and what to do about the leak? Apply some aquarium silicone? I'm going away for two weeks so no time to return it -- is this something I should temporarily fix and is a deal breaker to return? I don't think it can be tightened.

FYI the leak occurs with the bubble counter on or off. I am getting a steady and consistent bubble count. My left guage has been around 800psi, once at 850psi. Again, new tank but it's cold this time of year. Right gauge closest to the leak has been at the 5th hash mark on the gauge, whatever that is (25psi?) Thought this is suppose to be higher. (See pic)

As an aside, turned the lights on four hours ago, ph on Milwaukee read 6.8. Now, four hours later, it reads 6.9 and pH still running. Is this normal? Are the plants just gobbling up the CO2 fast? I run a Reactor 1000, checked for leaks there. None. Steady bubbles going into reactor.

Any thoughts appreciated gang! See attached pics:

Last edited by motifone; 12-18-2004 at 06:09 AM.. Reason: title change
motifone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2004, 06:35 AM   #2
motifone
Planted Tank Enthusiast

just FYI im injecting CO2 at about 1bps on my bubble counter and a pH test kit confirms 68-6.9 water pH
Old 12-18-2004, 09:39 AM   #3
Marc
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

teflon tape might help you out with that. Im not sure what that green stuff is. some sort of lock tight maybe?
Old 12-18-2004, 12:42 PM   #4
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

I always use non-hardening pipe dope on metal to metal joints in my CO2 system. Get a tube, tear apart the thing and try it.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 07:26 PM   #5
glass-gardens.com
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Or you could get it replaced under warranty by the vendor you got it from or barring that, JBJ directly. That joint shouldn't leak, it's not a user error, tearing it apart and trying to fix it yourself would be the last thing I would recommend.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:12 PM   #6
motifone
Planted Tank Enthusiast

dear glass gardens --

agreed. no intention of pulling it apart. besides, the piece is very well bonded. I am within my 30 day return period to the vendor, but I am flying out on vacation tomorrow for two weeks and will miss out on that. No opportunity to send it back, plus I wouldn't want to send it out and have my plants be without CO2 for 2 weeks.

The good news: JBJ's offices are in the next town over for me and they said I can drive over when I return and swap it out. (Can't do it today, as they have no one there to do the exchange).

In the meantime, I was hoping to at least slow the leak -- either with the trflon tape or some other type of puddy or sealant to seal it for now -- something removal I can take off when I get back to return it.

Lesson: check ALL of the joints on regulator carefully, even ones you don't have to interface with.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:19 PM   #7
glass-gardens.com
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

I can tell you from experience what a pain those joints are to get off, I had to pull mine apart between the reg and valve to add a manifold and it did take a bit of torque.

I used Teflon tape in the reassembly, it's after the reg so no problems there, and it does make it easier to get a clean seal.