Opinions wanted for Aqua Medic CO2 1000 hookup - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 11-15-2004, 12:59 AM   #31
fishyboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

i wouldn't buy special elbows... I have lots from ace i got from 50 cents a peice.. work great and i trust them a lot more than ones liek the coralife ones..

I always worry about losing that cap. you could reg one up pretty easy i think
fishyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2004, 02:53 AM   #32
Hypancistrus
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
. Hypancistrus the links you posted say "submersible" and even the picture that Fosters/Smith uses for the CO2 kit shows it in the tank...not outside. The powerhead "conversion" is simply the cone strainer for a stack and the flipper and aerator hose for an undergravel but I still believe that it is designed to run submerged and cooled by the water.
Maybe I am reading it wrong and lookin at the picture wrong. How long have you had it running this way ?
About six months. It's warm to the touch but by no means hot. It's an electromagnetic motor, same as used in HOB filters.
Hypancistrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 06:45 AM   #33
killa
Algae Grower

I use the Eheim 1048 to run an external reactor rather than the input/output of my canister and it works great. I haven had any clogging issues yet, but then again my reactor is DIY so I can take it apart to clean it as needed.

If your interested in my design PM me and I will send you some pics.

Or perhaps I will just donate so I can post them
killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 03:07 PM   #34
ksand
Planted Member

Default Lost Cap

Ha ha, Buck I can so relate. I have a talent for losing small-but-critical pieces from equipment. Picture this: I misplaced the cap on my Aqua Medic 500 (about the size of a dime)... I have to get up at 6:00am for work and here I am at 1:00 in the morning crawling on my hands and knees going over every square inch of the floor like a Corydoras... and then sitting on the kitchen floor sifting through the trash....
ksand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 11:17 PM   #35
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
i wouldn't buy special elbows... I have lots from ace i got from 50 cents a peice.. work great and i trust them a lot more than ones liek the coralife ones..
I always worry about losing that cap. you could reg one up pretty easy i think
Well I called up Rena today and ordered 2 caps, a whoppin 80 cents a piece and then asked for some Ell's but he said they discontinued the loose fittings as of 3 months ago. They redisigned the filter it appears and they are all one solid piece now (inlet/outlet pipes)
I just figured the fittings wouldnt cost much and I might as well get them to match the rest of the filter.
Now I am curious to see what the new filter pipes look like, he said I could buy those at 22 $ each... Thats a quarter of the entire filter cost ! LMAO

Quote:
Ha ha, Buck I can so relate. I have a talent for losing small-but-critical pieces from equipment.
Its not a good talent that we share there ksand...LOL
I was always told that every man needs either a wife or a mother to keep organized... I am blessed with both and still can keep tabs on things.
Now I just blame it on age... and you know how it goes... my new caps (2 of course) are in the mail and you watch, the cat will dig it out from a closet somewhere tonight !
Old 11-19-2004, 10:27 PM   #36
travis
Planted Tank Obsessed

Buck - I'm running an AquaMedic Reactor 1000 on the outflow of one of the two XP3s that filter my 125G tank and it works perfectly. I haven't noticed a significant decrease in the flow coming out of the filter but I didn't make any empirical observations beforehand so take that with a grain of salt.

As to the POS pipe systems that Rena ships with the XP series, I threw them out and got a couple of the Lifegard Customflow water systems. They're like lego sets for aquariums. You can put them together in so many configurations that they'll work for almost any situation. I've got mine set up with a total of six intake ports and four outflow jets, each one with an adjustable ball valve so you can tailor the outflow just the way you want it. They are a bit pricey but I can't recommend them highly enough if you have a need to put the hardware right where you want, the way you want it. That, and I can't resist new gadgets

125G Planted Mbuna Tank
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 11:42 PM   #37
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (8/100%)

Interesting thread so far. I was looking at the picture for the Dr's setup and was wondering if anyone is running that setup? Just wondering, since I have 2 mag 9s, 1 mag 7 and a spare mag 5 sitting around that I could make something out of it in a closed loop...

Ibn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 12:38 AM   #38
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

Travis, I have eyeballed them Lifeguard Flow bars before and they are definately nice lookin. Pricey yes, but 'gadgets' cost... The stock pipes that Rena send you are not bad once you drill out the exhaust pipes, I just wish they included a few more fittings for options. Easy to remedy though .

I got my replacement caps in today for the inlet pipe and started to fill up and developed a leak, lost interest (got mad actually) and then took the wife out for a couple beers and chinese food instead...

Tomorrow I will continue with my science project.... LOL
Old 11-20-2004, 12:39 AM   #39
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
I was looking at the picture for the Dr's setup
You lost me here Ibn... what setup is that ?
Old 11-20-2004, 02:49 AM   #40
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

Quote:
took the wife out for a couple beers and chinese food instead...
Buck, you hopeless romantic you!

Mrs. Buck is one lucky gal!!!

Mike
Old 11-20-2004, 12:10 PM   #41
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

Mike... you got the "hopeless" part right, the rest is up in the air ! LMAO
Old 11-21-2004, 02:19 AM   #42
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
You lost me here Ibn... what setup is that ?
Was refering to the one in Hypancistrus post, here:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...al&Np=1&N=2004

Ibn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 03:56 AM   #43
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

Ahhhh... the Drs as in foster/smith, I thought you were referring to someone on the forum... LOL
Nice lookin system but 400 bucks ? As much as I love gadgets I have a hard time justifying that cost.

I got my reactor up and running now and leak free, it helps when you use the proper sized hose clamps in case anyone is wondering. I also am back to running two XP2's on the tank. I drilled the holes on the outlet tubes bigger and I think I overdid it. I lost more water movement then I wanted so I might need to swap them back out.
This simple reactor add-on project is turning into a full time job !
Old 12-17-2004, 07:54 PM   #44
ksand
Planted Member

How is you AM 1000 working out? What kind of pump did you end up using?
ksand is offline   Reply With Quote