old lighting, new 40Breeder. Will this work?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 06-04-2010, 07:21 PM   #1
m77

PTrader: (0/0%)

old lighting, new 40Breeder. Will this work?

Hi all.

I recently upgraded to a 16" high 40 breeder for my two goldfish, from a 28 gallon 18" high. On the old tank I had an AH supply 55W 24" fixture. I've never dosed CO2, but I run a planted refugium on reverse cycle and I've always thought that maybe the two tanks dose eachother with CO2 alternately (though I've never been able to really verify that). Sometimes I add florinaxis but I forget a lot. I could also add excel, but I haven't recently because it seems to make my vals short and stocky rather than long and graceful.

Now that I've upgraded I have a bunch of lights sitting around. I have 2 18W craptastic "kit" fixtures, and then I have the good AH supply setup.

I know with standard wpg estimates I'd need like 80W for comparable light to what I had before, but I'm wondering if I really need that much since the bulb is lowered by 2". I plan to mostly plant under the 24" of fixture, leaving some shadowy edges for anubias and other lower light plants. Is this 55W going to be enough? If not, would adding one of the 18W'ers help, or not really?

Plants:
anubias
italian vals
java moss
crinum calimastratum
argentine sword,
pygmy chain sword
giant hair grass

I'd like to do some carpeting plants like HC, micro sword, or dwarf hairgrass, but the goldfish are more of a problem than the tank conditions for that. Still I'd like to not have the light be the limiting factor.

Thanks for your help!
m77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2010, 09:11 PM   #2
Jadelin
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

I can't really help you with the lights, but I can tell you that in my experience goldfish are too dang curious to let a carpet plant get established. Unless you plant dwarf hairgrass in pretty large plugs, the goldfish are going to be constantly pulling them up as they scavenge around the tank.

At least, that's what my comet did to my would-be hairgrass carpet. It did alright when I just planted the whole plug I got from the store, but once I took it apart to encourage growth, practically every time I looked at the tank he had pulled one or two up.
You could try using 1/2-inch sized ones and see if they work better, but they take longer to fill in that way.

Although maybe your goldfish aren't as curious as mine; obviously it's ultimately your call based on what you know about your fish, but I would advise that if you try it, keep in mind it just might not work.

Last edited by Jadelin; 06-04-2010 at 09:13 PM.. Reason: Clarity
Jadelin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2010, 01:04 AM   #3
m77

PTrader: (0/0%)

Yeah, I know carpet plants are kind of a pipe dream with goldfish (even my fancies). Mostly I want the other plants that are currently in there to not start suffering because I don't have enough light.
m77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2010, 01:13 AM   #4
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

An AH Supply light gives medium light at 16 inches from the bulb. Unless you want to get really rapid growth, that's plenty for almost all plants, assuming good CO2. But, a 40 breeder tank is 18 inches from front to back, so a single light doesn't give very uniform lighting. Adding your other lights, separated a ways from the AH Supply light might give you adequate uniformity of lighting.

Tags
40 breeder, watts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.