DIY CO2 for a 75 gallon tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 05-31-2010, 04:38 AM   #1
pufferfish
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

DIY CO2 for a 75 gallon tank

So I want to build a DIY CO2 system for a 75 gallon I've started up and really have no idea what I'm doing. I was thinking about using three 2 liter bottles and attaching one tube to all three using T-connector. Then just run the tube into the tank and let it go. What are the check valves used for? I guess I hook the end into an air stone however I've never used air stones and know nothing about them or what type to use. Am I on the right track? or am I missing something completely? Any help given would be greatly appreciated.
pufferfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2010, 04:58 AM   #2
izzy2
Algae Grower

Even three 2l bottles of DIY (non pressurized) may not add alot co2 to a tank that size. What kind of filtrations on the tank.

Co2 needs to have alot of contact time to be absorbed into the water. Running the tube into a canister filter or powerhead would increase the co2 saturation into the water.

Check valve stop the tank water from possibly flowing back into the bottles.
izzy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:14 AM   #3
pufferfish
Algae Grower

I think its an Eheim 2236. That's another thing I don't understand. Do you really drill a hole into the tube coming out of your filter. That kinda sounds like a mess and I'm not really sure where to drill the hole or how to attach the tube. I've never used a powerhead either I looking into them now. Any type that would be good for this type of thing?
Old 05-31-2010, 05:55 AM   #4
OverStocked
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)

DIY co2 is a waste on a 75g tank. You will have next to no impact... The inconsistencies will just cause more problems
OverStocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by over_stocked View Post
DIY co2 is a waste on a 75g tank. You will have next to no impact... The inconsistencies will just cause more problems
+1.

Save yourself the grief and aggravation of having to change bottles endlessly and go with pressurized.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:29 PM   #6
jmhart
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)

You can do DIY CO2 on a 75g, people have done it on bigger tanks, but it's a real PITA. 3 2L bottles won't do it. I used 3 2L on my 45g. You'll need many bottles and multiple points of injection, as well as really good water circulation.

CO2 is beneficial at any level, but the problem comes in when people think they have a good level of co2 and start adding ferts and upping their lighting. If you're tank is low light and currently not having any algae issues, then the addition of whatever CO2 you can get from DIY CO2 will be beneficial.

But, if you're hoping to be able to move from low light to high light(or even increase your lighting at all) with DIY CO2 on a 75g, I advise against it. You'll have nothing but headache and problems.
jmhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:54 PM   #7
pufferfish
Algae Grower

You all make a good argument. I should have started smaller. I guess I could spare at most another $200 on CO2. Does anyone know a good web site that I can piece one together? Also maybe a good reference to learn about pressurized systems so I can figure out what I need now and what I can add later?
Old 05-31-2010, 03:51 PM   #8
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...-info-lot.html should be interesting to you. It is the best post here, in my opinion, about how to assemble a CO2 regulator system.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:18 PM   #9
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

For additional information regarding how to set up your own pressurized CO2 system, check out the primer that I wrote (it is linked in my signature).

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:41 PM   #10
pufferfish
Algae Grower

Thank you all this information has helped a lot. I now understand how this process works. Now all I have to do is figure out which parts to use and how to but them cheaply.