Interesting dilema
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 12-09-2004, 08:41 AM   #1
cich
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to cich

Interesting dilema

I have a ton of MTS in my tank, but ramshorns are starting to be just as plentiful, and I think they're starting to munch my plants... How do I get rid of them, without hurting my MTS, or as few as possible, at least... Thanks!

Last edited by cich; 12-10-2004 at 04:19 AM..
cich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2004, 02:00 PM   #2
BSS
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Throw in some bait (e.g. a lettuce leaf), and once it is full of snails pull it out. If the lights are on, you are likely to have limited MTS since they mainly come out at night. Either way, you can pick off the ones you want to keep.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:21 PM   #3
mrk442
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

For a 10 gallon Dwarf puffers work great. They will keep your ramshorns from reproducing. I have 4 in a 20 gallon and I can't keep a snail alive other than MTS "they come out at night when dwarfs are sleeping" They devour all of the other snails I place in the tank these little guys will literally eat their way into the shell of a large ramshorn. The ones I have in this tank seem to be odd balls though all the others I have kept and keep will eat the smaller snails and the eggs but leave the large ones alone providing them with a good food source and preventing massive snail populations.

These little guys are fun to watch and a very interesting fish that i highly recommend. They also are generally pretty easy on tank mates i had 10 of them in a larger community tank before without problem they bickered with each other but thats about it. "depends on the individual though the 4 I have in the twenty will kill and eat anything I place in there except for a single male flag fish that they hang out with ?"

Just my .02 they are definitely more fun to watch than pulling snail covered lettuce from your tank "that works well though"
Just be prepared for a snail graveyard of sorts

Matt

Planing a 65g Tall done right from the start using Tom Barr's Non-Co2 Method now I just need to figure out the lighting!
mrk442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 11:50 PM   #4
Barbels
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSS
Throw in some bait (e.g. a lettuce leaf), and once it is full of snails pull it out.
Ooh! Good one! I forgot to think of trying this. Do you know how well this works? I've never tried it, but I shore nuff am willing.
to bleed and die for thee.~
Filstar #79
Barbels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 04:01 AM   #5
BSS
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

I've typically use blanched zucchini (sp?) speared with a plant weight to sink it as a treat for my herbivores. It's typically covered the next morning with snails. It may take a few cycles, but with the numbers coming out, you have to be gaining *some* ground !
Old 12-10-2004, 04:20 AM   #6
cich
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to cich

Thanks for all the feedback! I'll be using the bait method.