Red Devil Crab / Panther Crab - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 05-08-2010, 09:42 PM   #16
ZID ZULANDER
Shrimp Crazy

PTrader: (125/100%)

Ok. I am going to order the Panthers next week from a Monday delivery. Its strange that I have seen sites that say they need land and other sites that say they are fully aquatic. The Red Devil crabs will probably follow the next week.
Canon Pimp Club #005
ZID ZULANDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2010, 02:54 PM   #17
garuf
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to garuf

The site I linked is in partnership with Germans number one invert breeder/researcher/scientist. If it suggests land I'd be shocked if they didn't need it.
Also, a lot of crabs have the ability to drown if they don't get air somehow and that's normally through dry land. I'd personally always offer some dry land as a matter of precaution and I'd suggest that maybe those keeping them as "fully aquatic" have some method for them to break the surface, climbing a heater/filter cable for example. It's also possible that they can survive but not thrive is deprived land. It's a shame little is known about crabs and those that are in the hobby often have spurious info tagged to them I wish I knew of a good book on them.
garuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:23 PM   #18
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Sexual dimorphism? Anyone have any ideas about this yet?
F22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:50 PM   #19
ZID ZULANDER
Shrimp Crazy

I am holding off on getting the panther crabs until I have more information on the habitat these crabs live in. There is conflicting information on the web on them. Once I know for sure of the requirements of these crabs then I will bring them in. I am sure you all understand. If you are interested in these crabs and would like to get some please help me get information on them.
Canon Pimp Club #005
Old 05-12-2010, 02:12 AM   #20
garuf
Wannabe Guru

"They originate from lake Matano which is one of the 5 likes which composes the Malili lake system in central Sulawesi. The lake temperature is hot and stable ( although changes slightly depending on depth). In the aquarium aim for 28-30C. They are described as fully aquatic however at least one German keeper has observed his to be active outside of water. Water quality need to be pristine, ideally with a pH between 7.8 and 8.5 (even more preferably above 8 ). The water should be relatively soft (TDS 200-300, kH 5-8) although there are keepers who are sucessfully keeping them in harder water and kH of up to 12.

Mine is currently housed in a 65L tank, temp 29C, TDS 260 ms, kH 7, pH 8 without a land area. I use 2/3rds tap water to 1/3rds RO and I use a Sera product to increase the pH from my tap water level (~7.5). I feed mine every second day with JBL novocrab pellets. He lost all his legs in territorial disputes at my LFS (I got him for free as a rescue case). He is extremely reclusive (perhaps due to his current disability) but feeds well although I have to hand feed him as he will not leave his hideout. Breeding is as yet unkown, there may be a larval stage involved (as for Limnopilos naiyanetri) but as far as I am aware no one has even observed an egg bound female in captivity as of yet."
From a swiss keeper of them. The admins of this site would be a good group to contact as the invert hobby is huge in germany and the knowledge base is vast. http://www.panzerwelten.de/main.php
Old 05-12-2010, 02:15 AM   #21
msnikkistar
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (105/94%)

Sigh, if only we could get stuff from Germany....

msnikkistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:22 AM   #22
garuf
Wannabe Guru

I'm lucky to be close enough to Germany to be able to. My filters came from their and so did my t5 lamps.

Good luck with the crabs. I'd love to see some pictures of their living quarters.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:39 AM   #23
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Pm me as soon as available
F22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:28 PM   #24
garuf
Wannabe Guru

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/393...SIN=3936027684

I got recommended this. Should be of help?
Old 05-13-2010, 12:27 AM   #25
ZID ZULANDER
Shrimp Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by garuf View Post
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/393...SIN=3936027684

I got recommended this. Should be of help?
I dont think that book has the most current information in it. I will look into it.
Canon Pimp Club #005
Old 05-19-2010, 07:58 AM   #26
Scubita

I love panther crabs! I had one that got really big, like 6-8 inches with about a 2.5 inch claw length. I really want another one, where can you get one?
They are totally aquatic. I started mine in freshwater, then moved it to brackish and it thrived. They are escape artists so make sure the tank is completely covered with a tight lid.
They will eat your fish if they catch them. This only happened a couple times for me, but it does happen. It caught my avocado puffer with his claw and ate him.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:31 PM   #27
ZID ZULANDER
Shrimp Crazy

i was going to import some. Still not sure if I am going to or not. I dont have time to set up yet another type of tank.
Canon Pimp Club #005
Old 10-11-2010, 06:09 PM   #28
Blupeacock

I am keeping a Red Devil and a Vampire crab . Would really like to know a lot more about them.

Much more is written about the Vampire but hardly anything about the Red Devil. Anything anyone knows about them would be appreciated. Thanks.
Blupeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:57 AM   #29
garuf
Wannabe Guru

As a bump from the amazon link, I bought the book and it's excellent, the information in it is at the oldest from 2008, it's a truely excellent book. As a reference you can't get better.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:03 AM   #30
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

Panthers are from sulawesi lakes, I've also heard fully aquatic. The red devils and others are mud crabs that live in the banks of streams there, and they DO need land area. What a lot of germans do is a knot ladder which leads to the surface so they can climb up and grab some air.
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote