Pressurized CO2...Just thought I'd share. - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > The Planted Tank FAQ

Old 05-01-2010, 05:48 AM   #46
ryanlogic
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

i demand a sticky....thanks a lot, this is great

Old 05-01-2010, 05:51 AM   #47
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanlogic View Post
i demand a sticky....thanks a lot, this is great
Talk to a mod about it

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 04:34 PM   #48
Dan the Man
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
You should remove the eBay link in your post, as they are not allowed.

As for the metering valve you linked to, I have not had experience with this Parker needle valve, but it seems very expensive, and excessive for our needs (fluorocarbon rubber seals? Do you plan to be injecting something corrosive into your aquarium?)
My bad, won't do it again. I bought the thing for $80 mostly because of it's .0200 Cv and 15 turn resolutions which I believe most swageloks and Ideal's have 10 turn resolutions and a Cv of about .07.

I do admit that this is horrible overkill for a needle valve I'm sure, but if the only place I can find an Ideal is from Rex Grigg for $70+ shipping, then why not pay $10 more for a better NV that looks a lot better IMO. But your right about it being way too much overkill. I also, think even with this needle valve I'll be able to finish my regulator cheaper than buying the postbody kit off Sumo Regulator which comes with the Ideal. (I'm more so talking to myself right now
Dan the Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:11 PM   #49
Darkblade48

While I won't criticize your purchase, I would like to point out that it is possible to find metering valves for much less than $80.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:01 AM   #50
Meum
Algae Grower

This is a fantastic writeup. I have been doing some research in preparation for getting a pressurized system for a while now. I am mechanically knuckleheaded and I this is the clearest explanation I have come across yet. Well done and thankyou. This is gonna be stickied, right?
Meum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:03 AM   #51
Darkblade48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meum View Post
This is a fantastic writeup. I have been doing some research in preparation for getting a pressurized system for a while now. I am mechanically knuckleheaded and I this is the clearest explanation I have come across yet. Well done and thankyou.
Thanks for the comments. I once approached pressurized CO2 with trepidation (after all, it's pressurized gas, it could explode, right? All kidding aside, it won't if you use it properly ), but after having done the research and gone through all the hoops, it's much simpler now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meum View Post
This is gonna be stickied, right?
Ask the moderators

Old 05-02-2010, 07:04 AM   #52
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (116/100%)

Quote:
Thanks for the comments. I once approached pressurized CO2 with trepidation (after all, it's pressurized gas, it could explode, right? All kidding aside, it won't if you use it properly ), but after having done the research and gone through all the hoops, it's much simpler now.
Great writeup! Very informative and very detailed.

Although extremely rare, i do think you should include the possible dangers associated with pressurized tanks. In early January, i was on my way home from the LFS with my first co2 cylinder, and it randomly (didn't bump it or anything) depressurized in the car as we were getting off the highway- leaving me with a very severe second degree burn on my right leg. I now have a pretty nasty scar that is a little bigger than 3"x3". We're still unsure of what caused it to depressurize.

While the chances of this happening are literally 1/10000+, i think it's important for people to know that these can be dangerous things to have in your home. Take all pre-caucions necessary to be safe.

Would i go back and get another cylinder? Probably, although now i'm a little frightened by them. I'd definitely keep it under a thick stainless steal box, LOL. Understandably, my parents don't like the idea of getting another (when they didn't even like the idea in the first place).
Old 05-02-2010, 01:15 PM   #53
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
You should remove the eBay link in your post, as they are not allowed.

As for the metering valve you linked to, I have not had experience with this Parker needle valve, but it seems very expensive, and excessive for our needs (fluorocarbon rubber seals? Do you plan to be injecting something corrosive into your aquarium?)
CO2 is corrosive, the standard seals on a Swagelok valve is only good for three to five years when used for CO2. Which is why I get the valves with the Vitron seals which are good forever. I would think that the more expensive seals on the Parker valve would be a good investment.

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
SCMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:37 PM   #54
Darkblade48

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMurphy View Post
CO2 is corrosive, the standard seals on a Swagelok valve is only good for three to five years when used for CO2. Which is why I get the valves with the Vitron seals which are good forever. I would think that the more expensive seals on the Parker valve would be a good investment.
Do you have any information to support this? As far as I know, there are no seals (at least rubber seals) inside a Swagelok metering valve.

Also, CO2 (the gas) would only be corrosive if there was moisture inside the metering valve, at which point, you would have other things to worry about before the CO2.

Finally, I believe there are many people that use other needle valves that do not have these Vitron seals, and they have lasted for more than 3 years.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:41 PM   #55
rvel
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I just wanted to thank Darkblade48 for this writeup. While researching about CO2 systems and how they are applied to the aquarium hobby, my greatest obstacle was understanding what was I supposed to look for. This writeup has been of great help to me.

Thanks Darkblade48.
rvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:48 PM   #56
kdogg
Algae Grower

This should be a sticky thank for the write up
kdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:02 PM   #57
thrak76
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)

Awesome, Darkblade!

A fine resource for beginning pressurized, and a good review for those already doing it! I think you should reference your write-ups in your signature. Each that i've read (at least two) have been great.
Pimp #418: 2075, 2217
MARINELAND Pimp#5: C-220, H.O.T.

thrak76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 02:34 AM   #58
Darkblade48

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrak76 View Post
Awesome, Darkblade!

A fine resource for beginning pressurized, and a good review for those already doing it! I think you should reference your write-ups in your signature. Each that i've read (at least two) have been great.
Thanks! And a good idea to link to the thread in my signature!

Old 05-08-2010, 03:24 AM   #59
Captivate05
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

This should be a sticky, really. There is no reason why it shouldn't be. It would have saved me a big headache if it was one.

Exactly what I was looking for! Complicated little things and pieces spelled out in an easy to understand format. Thanks Darkblade48! This really answered alot of questions!

Captivate05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:56 AM   #60
S&KGray
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)

Good job Anthony!
Hopefully this gets stickied.
EPC #329 - VPC #59
Marina Style20
20L - P. axelrodi, C. macracanthus, H. ocellifer, T. albonubes "gold", Stiphodon sp. gobies, Sailfin mollies
16BF - T. albonubes "gold", A. dolichopterus, Ps. gertrudae "Aru II"

Last edited by Momotaro; 05-08-2010 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: We don't want a re-run of past incidents.
S&KGray is offline   Reply With Quote