Hyper Otocinclus?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 03-24-2010, 07:11 PM   #1
Fishly
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Question

Hyper Otocinclus?

I bought two Otos two days ago and one of them is very hyper- he doesn't seem to be able to sit still for very long. He was active at the store, so I'm not sure if this is just part of his natural personality or if there's something bothering him. His tail is ragged, but I haven't been able to get a good look at it, so I'm not sure what to do about it. So far, I'm just trying to leave the tank alone so they can adjust to my water conditions.

I know you're supposed to keep Otos in groups, but there were only two in the store. Right now they're both in a large Kritter Keeper quarantine tank filled with some Java Moss, river rocks, heater, airline (no airstone), and a plastic container covered with greenspot algae. There are also 9 Ghost Shrimp in the tank. So far, all the food (algae wafers) I've given them has gone uneaten and they've been avoiding the plastic container with the algae on it.

Is it normal for some Otos to be this restless? And is there anything I can do to encourage them to eat or treat the ragged tail (without knowing what's wrong with it)?

Old 03-24-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
williamsonaaron
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have 3 otos they behave differently depending on many variables - time of day - Mine are very active or asleep depending on the time of day(they seem to go in cycles they sleep very little but you can find them resting quite often) also depends on the amount of food or perceived food - mine don't eat algae wafers either. If they are looking for something that you don't have in the tank then they will likely be swimming very frequently attaching to differnet places which may make them seem hyper but really he's is just on a food search. Also I wouldn't treat the tail until you know what the issue is. It may just be bad water quality at the LFS or since they are wild caught could be transport damage I recently had a cardinal grow his entire tail fin back in about 2 weeks. Its kind of funny how things work we grew so attached to him because we could recognize him as "the tailess one" and make sure he was eating etc. now that its grown back he blends right in and we can't tell where he is lol.

Also a good oto health guide is to check there little bellies when they are sucked up against the glass if his belly is bulging or atleast full - he's doing fine - if it looks concave or thin I would blanche some zuchinni and put it in the tank(it will still take him a couple days to recognize this as food). If oto's can't find the food they are searching for they can be a bit picky so be prepared to adapt.

ALso try the following website - thats where I get my oto know how

http://otocinclus.com/
williamsonaaron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2010, 08:14 PM   #3
Nue
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Let him settle in. Otos are very shy/sensitive. Especially to new surroundings. If you have high lighting that could be causing him stress. That is normal behavior but it is stress related. Mine do that everything i maintenance the tank.
Nue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2010, 08:27 PM   #4
kcrossley
"This madness ends now!"

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishly View Post
I bought two Otos two days ago and one of them is very hyper- he doesn't seem to be able to sit still for very long.
I have one like that. Personally I think he's just crazy, but he seems to be happy. Yesterday, all five of my Ottos, added just a week ago, discovered each other and schooled for at least two hours. They were pretty cool to watch.
kcrossley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 08:51 AM   #5
boon
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)

i love it when ottos school together. I have 2 that are super hyper and 4 lazy ones. Most of the time i think they're dead since i hardly see them.
boon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2010, 10:06 AM   #6
Fishly
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the help, guys. I didn't have any zucchini, but I put some blanched spinach in the tank and that did the trick- everybody is eating now. I'm just going to keep an eye on that tail. Hopefully it'll clear up on its own.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:44 AM   #7
tuffgong
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)

How are you oto's faring?
tuffgong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2010, 05:01 AM   #8
TLE041
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

After spending 30 minutes trying to catch my oto to move him to my other tank, I just gave up. I have never seen a fish move so fast before.

Tony

My Mini-M journal

TLE041 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2010, 07:43 AM   #9
Fishly
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffgong View Post
How are you oto's faring?
They're both doing very well. The ragged tail cleared up on its own, and everybody (Otos, shrimp, and snails) loves the blanched spinach. I have some dried seaweed that none of my other fish will eat, so yesterday I tried giving some to them. I'm not sure if they ate it or not, but I hope they did. That stuff was expensive.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:03 AM   #10
tuffgong
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)

Glad to hear everybody is doing well!

Dollar Store Dirt Tank - 20g - Albino Sterbai Cory Fry Tank
Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412
tuffgong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
active, oto, otocinclus, quarantine, tail

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.