Ideas for a new Paludarium
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 08-03-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
Goanna
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Ideas for a new Paludarium

I just bought a 29 Gallon MartyMade Terrarium (same size as a regular 29 gallon, but it has a tall lip and then sliding glass doors ). The bottom area under the doors is water tight.

This tank is destined to become some sort of naturalistic terrarium/paludarium. I am even thinking about drilling it and hooking up a tiny canister filter like the Zoo Med 501 or the TOM Rapids mini canister. Although, if I cant find bulkheads with fittings small enough for those, I would just get a Fluval 105 .

I want to do about half land half water, land on the left and a nice pool of water on the right. Ideally if I could make it look anything like this I would be very happy (I know the water would have to be lower, that's fine with me).

How do you think that waterfall could be replicated? Would the output from a Fluval 105 be too strong to replicate that? I am hoping the TOM Rapids filter has 1/2" ID tubing because it would probably work fine for that. I want to use a canister because I currently have a paludarium with a internal submersible filter and it's a pain to clean it, especially considering the lighting fast day gecko I have to catch each time I need to clean the filter, lol.
Goanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2009, 02:56 PM   #2
Goanna
Algae Grower

Haha, little did I realize that the picture I linked to above that I found via Google Images was actually part of a photo tutorial right here on PlantedTank.net!

http://www.plantedtank.net/articles/...to-Journal/28/

What an awesome setup. I gotta find a nice piece of cork bark to make a waterfall like that.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:49 PM   #3
paludarium freak
Planted Member

Sorry can't help you with the waterfall but I can give you some help. What exactly are your questions, apart from the waterfall?
paludarium freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:07 PM   #4
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

you can use an eheim return 394 tube size should work

http://www.bigalsonline.com/StoreCat...its=12&offset=

i would then try to drill a whole through the top piece of rock and have the water trickle from there down...
F22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:59 PM   #5
Goanna
Algae Grower

Hey Guys, thanks for the replies.

Actually, since this thread has been made I have completed this build and sorted everything out.

I wound up with a very similar waterfall, and it was pretty simple to do. I used a piece of corkbark right under the water return, and after hours of drilling little channels in it trying to get a perfect flow like in that picture, I almost gave up. Then I noticed in the picture that there was moss on the waterfall. I bought some Java moss, put it up on the corkbark, and made several long strands where I wanted the water to trickle down... And Done! LOL.

Oh, and F22 I drilled the tank and ran plumbing behind the foam background I created. So no need for a return kit .

Here's a photo journal of my build progress on this tank.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:43 PM   #6
anastasisariel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

SOOOO... where's the pic??
I'm in the Saint Louis, MO area and always looking to connect with other planted tank enthusiasts.

75 Gallon journal http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=480226
anastasisariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drilled, paludarium, terrarium, waterfall