Cheap ADA Look-a-Like Arm Stand *56k*
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 04-15-2010, 09:17 AM   #1
ch3fb0yrdee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)

Cheap ADA Look-a-Like Arm Stand *56k*

Ok, so lets face it, we all know that ADA gear is insanely expensive. Everyone loves the gear, but not everyone can fork over the $$ for their stuff.

Since the DIY thread has really helped me with a bunch of projects, I'd thought it would be nice to give back. I decided that I want the clean ADA Arm Stand look without making my wallet cry, so here's my super cheap DIY arm stand guide. WITH PICTURES!!!

So to start, I mention that this is realllllyyy cheap, and it is. The cost for the entire project was around $7 dollars. Supplies ALL purchased from my local Home Depot store.

Supplies:

This is what I will use to clamp the wires and attach the wires to the light.

So here is the before picture of my current set up and light before the project.

Close up shot of the light...

So the first step was to remove the legs, the light bulb and the reflector. (sorry I forgot to take a picture of this.) After this, I marked the spot where I would drill with a pencil.

Second step was to drill the holes in the hood. It was easy enough. I borrowed the drill from friends dad. =D
Results....

I made sure I measured it evenly on both sides. My OCD forces me to be perfect...

Next, I went outside and attach one end of the wire rope with the clamps. I found out that its soooo much easier using a hammer and pounding it flat, rather than trying to use clampers to clamp them close.

Close up picture

No need to be perfect and nice with this because it will be hidden anyways.

Next, I went to bend the pipes that I bought from Home Depot.
Pipes, Pipe Bender, Bent pipes...

After this, I went to measure how much extra pipe length I had, so I could cut it to make sure it was at the right length.
Pipe Cutter..

BTW I love this thing, its freaking amazing.... Ugggg I like cutting things....

Moving on, after I cut the pipes down to size, I went to attach the pipes on my stand. Depending on what stand you have, you might need pipe holders, which cost about $2 dollars. I can get pictures of what it looks like if you need. But anyways, because I have gaps in my stand, I decided to stick it through and just ZIP TIE it down. YUppers. Zip ties are FANTASTIC, STRONG AND CHEAP!

Last step was to measure the wire rope that is now attached on the light hood and see how much space I wanted to give my Light to hang. After I decided, I went outside again to use the remaining clamps to make a loop, then I pounded it down with a hammer to make sure it was tight.

As you can see in the first picture, I used the single round clamp for the inside of the wire rope attach to the hood, then the second clamp that that had spaces for two wire rope to make a loop. Ughhh hope that was kinda clear, what I just said...

Anyways, the final result is...

...and the entire tank shot so you can see my stand is...

Sooo.. I got my ADA-ish arm stand without having to spend an arm to get! . I really like it because it allows me to move it out during water changes because the arm stand rotates and for those that like to scape with things sticking out, you can now with all that free top space!

That total cost for me to make this was $6.47. I had to buy the 1/2in Pipe bender for $31.90, but I'm returning it now that Im done with it. Im a broke college student, I have my tricks....dont judge me! The drill, and pipe cuter was borrowed from my friend's dad.

Hope the guide helped! Feel free to comment and ask questions.

Cheers!
ch3fb0yrdee is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2010, 12:01 PM   #2
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

I believe Tom Barr had a similar thread on how to do this, but great work nonetheless.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:17 PM   #3
NJAquaBarren
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Looks great. What light fixture is that btw?
Eheim Pimp Club member #414, 2076 Pro 3e
Fluval G6
NJAquaBarren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:46 PM   #4
wearsbunnyslippers
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

what an awesome little setup!!!