First time pressurized CO2 setup questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 04-08-2010, 01:31 AM   #1
Laotin
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

First time pressurized CO2 setup questions

So, I am finally able to move from DIY yeast bottle to a pressure system thanks to some friends.

Friend of mine does CO2 for a commerical company, so a couple of weeks ago I told him what I was planning on doing and he said he would see what he could find "on the job" lol

he got me a 20lb CO2 bottle (smallest they deal with) and a high pressure regulator, both in great shape. he also filled up the bottle for me

so my question is this, he says the bottle is high pressure and the reg is HP, so how do i go about stepping that down to something I can use in my tank? can i use that HP reg? or should i ditch it and buy a LP reg? ive found a place online that sells regs for beer kegs for like $40, crazy thing is once you add the word "aquarium" to regulator the price jumps $100!

also all the lines, fittings coming off the reg are 1/2", can I just use a barbed fitting to step it from 1/2" to the size of aquarium tubing (which I really dont know the standard size) you know the normal tubing you buy at your LFS.

next is the question of a solenoid and bubble counter........its my understanding it goes tank---->reg---->solenoid---->bubble counter---->into tank to diffuser....correct?

I have a nice glass diffuser already

basically if i cant use the reg he got me, i can still use the tank, which saves me like $100 or more! right? lol

and 20lb of CO2.......im thinking thats gonna last for a really long time....correct?

thanks for the help/advice in advance
If I post something stupid, its intentional!
Laotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2010, 01:56 AM   #2
anastasisariel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Wow, I hope someone gives you some solid answers cause it would answer some questions of mine.. 20LB tank!! lol
I'm in the Saint Louis, MO area and always looking to connect with other planted tank enthusiasts.

75 Gallon journal http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=480226
anastasisariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:36 AM   #3
msc
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)

What do the two gauges read? Can you post a pic?
msc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:08 AM   #4
Laotin
Algae Grower

yeah, i will post pictures, as soon as i go pick it up. going to get the stuff on friday. i assume from what he has told me that its 60-160, but idk, we will see when i pick it up.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:20 AM   #5
msc
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)

If that is the low side it will be too high. For our use you will want 15 25 working pressure.
msc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:31 PM   #6
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laotin View Post
so my question is this, he says the bottle is high pressure and the reg is HP, so how do i go about stepping that down to something I can use in my tank? can i use that HP reg? or should i ditch it and buy a LP reg?
Take a picture of said regulator, or get the information of the regulator (i.e. make, model number, etc).

A regulator first steps down the tank pressure to a more workable pressure. This is then stepped down again by a needle valve.

Quote:
also all the lines, fittings coming off the reg are 1/2", can I just use a barbed fitting to step it from 1/2" to the size of aquarium tubing (which I really dont know the standard size) you know the normal tubing you buy at your LFS.
Yes, you can use brass fittings to step down from the 1/2" fitting to an appropriately sized one.

Quote:
next is the question of a solenoid and bubble counter........its my understanding it goes tank---->reg---->solenoid---->bubble counter---->into tank to diffuser....correct?
You are missing the needle valve immediately after the solenoid and before the bubble counter, but other than this, it is correct.

Quote:
basically if i cant use the reg he got me, i can still use the tank, which saves me like $100 or more! right? lol
Yes.

Quote:
and 20lb of CO2.......im thinking thats gonna last for a really long time....correct?
Depends on what size of a tank you are using it on, how many tanks you intend to use it on, how fast your bubble rate is, and whether or not you have any leaks to start off with.

Quote:
yeah, i will post pictures, as soon as i go pick it up. going to get the stuff on friday. i assume from what he has told me that its 60-160, but idk, we will see when i pick it up.
If the low pressure gauge measures from 60-160, then you will likely need to get another regulator, as the preferred delivery pressure is ~15-30 PSI.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:47 PM   #7
Laotin
Algae Grower

i will get the pictures up then im sure you guys can tell me exactly whats going on, tomorrow if everything goes well