Uh Oh, BGA
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 04-28-2003, 05:52 PM   #1
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'm not sure if I mentioned this or not, but I recently had a plague of Blue Green algae and a rash of health problems in the 45 gallon. I lost all but 2 of my Tiger Barbs (I had 11), 1 skunk loach, and I think I'm going to have to put the gourami down. I'm pretty sure the algae bloom was coincedental to the health problems, but it was a bad time for the tank.

The tank is recovering now, but I still have lingering Blue Green Algae problems, and I inadvertantly transfered some to the 90 Gallon tank (GROAN). Nothing eats this vile stuff accept for shrimp and I can't add shrimp to either of these tanks. Anyone have any recomendations? I'm not worried about the 45 gallon as I can tear it down and clean everything thouroughly. Its the new 90 gallon I'm worried about, its not easy to scrub dirt.

I think I'm going to dose the tank with Eurithromicin to try and whipe it out before it gets a foothold....
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2003, 06:43 PM   #2
corvus
Planted Member

Erythromycin is the only thing thats ever worked for me. Sorry bout the cross-contamination, I think we've all done that at one time or aniother.
Old 04-28-2003, 06:46 PM   #3
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

I noticed it in the 90 about a week ago, and I've been removing it as much as I can between water changes. There is very littl ein the tank so I dont mind hammering it with Erythromycin, its just so damn expensive is all.
Old 04-28-2003, 10:43 PM   #4
Alex
Algae Grower

I had a really bad case of BGA in my 55 and I got rid of it after having it for two months or so by doing all of the following.

1. Physically removing as much as possible every week when I did water changes.
2. Running my diatom filter after the physical removal.
3. Lowered my lighting period from 14 to 10 hours.
4. Adding a lot more plants, including fast growers(Anacharis).
5. Getting my fertilizers in order.
6. DIY CO2.

Not sure what got rid of it or if it was everything but after a couple of weeks of this it was gone and there hasn't been any algae of any kind in two months and the tank looks better than it ever did. Just so you know it can be gotten rid of.

Alex
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 10:47 PM   #5
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

I've gotten rid of it before, usuaslly through vigorous repeated water changes and gravel vac's. I'm not worried about the 45 at all as it is almost gone (but man I hate that earthy smell...).

The 90 Gallon is a little tricky because of the substrate, but I am hoping the plants will win the battle for nutrients :-) Thankfully its growing slowly in there...
Old 05-07-2003, 05:59 PM   #6
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Its all gone now :-)

In the 45 gallon I performed %50 water changes every 3 days and removed any traces of the crud by hand untill it was gone. THe tank looks better then ever!

The 90 gallon is another story entirely. I had a MASSIVE bacterial bloom that caused some real unpleasent health problems. I lost 3 of my angelfish (recent purchases, just babies) and my two large angels have bloody pectoral fins. They are healing up quickly (adult angels are thankfully hardy fish). I treated teh tank with some Maracyn 1 and the Blue Gren algae is gone, now it is replaced with standard fuzzy green algae that the oto's are devouring quickly.

In another couple of weeks the tank should be back to rights.