Current Tank Hair Algae and New tank set up Questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 03-08-2010, 04:23 PM   #1
duff
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)

Current Tank Hair Algae and New tank set up Questions

Hi Everyone! I have two tanks that I have had set up for about 3 years, about a year ago I added a few new plants and have been plagues by hair algae ever since. I have done everything I can to get rid of it to no avail!!!!!! So, I am taking the opportunity to start up a new 20g tank.

My question is:

Should I cycle the new tank with anything from the old tank? Filter media, gravel, etc? Or should this be avoided at all costs?

Since they are very well seasoned tanks I was hoping to use some material from them but my gut says "no way" :0(

I do plan to start with all new plants (heavily stocked from day one) and then slowly transfer over my current fish (9 dwarf corys' from one tank and 10 boraras Brigittae from another tank) once the new tank cycle complete and it is stable. (all the fish have been very happy in my current tanks and the little corys bred about a year ago) but the hair algae is making me insanely mad! Plus I really have wanted a bigger tank for some time!

Thank you for any advice you might have!

Duff
duff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2010, 04:54 PM   #2
captain_bu
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

It is common to use old filter media, mulm etc. to "seed" a new setup with bacteria. Algae spores are airborne and will end up in your tank again no matter how you set it up.

Question though, what makes you think that setting up a new tank means you won't get algae again?

Wanting a bigger tank is fine but I suggest that you post some more info about your current tanks so people here can help you to figure out why you are having ongoing algae issues and help you try to solve them. If you don't learn how to cope with future potential algae issues you may end up in the same situation again.
captain_bu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2010, 06:03 PM   #3
duff
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)

Thanks Captain_Bu, good points - I did not realize Algae spores were airborne.

Here is the run down and I think one of my problems is Co2 (not enough) On the new tank I did plan to change this aspect (adding a co2 system)

the 2 tanks:

6.6g bookshelf petco tank: fully loaded with plants: mostly Dwarf Sag covering the entire tank and 10 of the brigetae and snails. Weekly 2g water changes, 28w CP light: on at 10am off between 5-6pm. Does with Flourish line:
Flourish .5ml Sunday/Wednes
Excel .75ml 6 days week
Iron .6ml Sun, Tues, Thurs
Phosph: .4ml Sun, Wed
Nitrogen: .5 Sun, Wed
Trace: 1.5ml - 1x a week: Wed
Potass: 1ml Sun, Wed
Nothing on Saturdays

8g tank: 48w CF similar lighting as above: weekly water change 2-3 gallons - 10 Dwarf Cory's and heavily planted with snails
Flourish .7ml Sunday/Wednes
Excel 1ml 6 days week
Iron .75ml Sun, Tues, Thurs
Phosph: .5ml Sun, Wed
Nitrogen: .5 Sun, Wed
Trace: 1.9ml - 1x a week: Wed
Potass: 1.25ml Sun, Wed
Nothing on Saturdays

I have found it easier to use the flourish line with an eye dropper as the tanks are so small the cost is not much. The last test results I ran came up as follows:
Nitrates 0,
Nitrite 0,
Ammonia 0,
PH 8.0

Does this help? Thank you for your reply, any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!

Duff
duff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.