The Dragon's Lair - New pics 10/24/10 - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-12-2010, 09:51 PM   #31
cah925
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (173/100%)

Not a bad idea. Those 2 sticks on the right side/center have been bothering me for a while. I've been trying to come up with something to hide or soften the look and a sword might just do the trick.
cah925 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2010, 03:42 AM   #32
cah925
Fear the Swamp!

I raised the light several inches to try and clear some BBA several weeks ago. The BBA went away, but several plants started to die. I lost most of my Blyxa on the left side and almost lost my Limno sp 'Mini'. I put the legs back on the light and repositioned it on top of the tank last week. For now, I'm only using 2 of the bulbs (instead of 4) to see if I can keep the BBA from coming back. I've also been having a major issue with cloudy water for some reason. I'm not sure if the eels are digging around stirring up dust from the substrate or if there is some other underlying issue. I have also been dealing with green dust algae for about a month. I stuck to a strict dosing regimen and water change schedule. I finally stopped scraping everything and just let it go to see if it would resolve on its own. Last week I added 8 otos and they have been busy. Tonight was the first night I didn't see any dust algae on the glass. Not sure which of the many things I have tried helped, but I'm glad to see it finally disappearing. Now if I could just get rid of the cloudy water everything would be great.
Here's a few pics I took earlier.
FTS

Top shelf above the cave-crypts are filling in nicely, many are sending out runners with new plants popping up all over the place.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:10 PM   #33
cah925
Fear the Swamp!

I'm happy to report that the cloudy water went away. I ran my diatom filter for an hour 2 days in a row, then did a big water change last weekend. So far the water has stayed crystal clear.
I'm still trying to get the eels to at least take live blackworms from my long tweezers. Skinny (the skinny one, cheesy I know) is getting brave and stays in sight as I come in with worms. He hasn't tried to take them from me, but he does patiently wait for me to drop them real close to his head. Big Worm is still a little skiddish and takes off into the safety of the cave if I get too close.

The haze is from the lights, not cloudy water-

A few of the cleaning crew. The otos swim in groups in this tank. I've never seen this in my other tanks, but I guess there aren't any real threats in the other tanks.

Another shot of the upper shelf. I wish I could get a good pic from above the tank but the light reflections always ruin the shot.

I was trying to get some pics last night to show how much the eels have grown. Skinny was an easy target, he's always swimming in the open.

Big Worm was not. You can sort of see his head in this pic.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:55 PM   #34
Voozle
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)

This is terrific, haven't seen eels in a planted tank before. I really like the elongated cave structure and the low-light plants in and around it, I bet those are two happy eels. Have the algae problems cleared up?
Voozle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2010, 07:11 AM   #35
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Wow!!

What size is the tank? What is your lighting? Co2?

How long to the eel live? How long do they get? I wonder if there is a variety that could live in a 30 in long tank? They are astonishing to watch. Seem to be intelligent and curious.

I wonder if dosing with KNO3 would help keep the algae away? It worked for me.
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2010, 07:12 AM   #36
problemman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (43/100%)

this is niffty subscribed!
I sell plants but not green thumbs, sorry.
problemman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2010, 07:07 PM   #37
cah925
Fear the Swamp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voozle View Post
This is terrific, haven't seen eels in a planted tank before. I really like the elongated cave structure and the low-light plants in and around it, I bet those are two happy eels. Have the algae problems cleared up?
Yep, algae problems are in the past. I added several otos and started dosing small amounts of ferts. I still get some green dust algae on the glass, but nothing out of control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Wow!!

What size is the tank? What is your lighting? Co2?

How long to the eel live? How long do they get? I wonder if there is a variety that could live in a 30 in long tank? They are astonishing to watch. Seem to be intelligent and curious.

I wonder if dosing with KNO3 would help keep the algae away? It worked for me.
This is a 75 gal tank. I'm using a Catalina Solar 4x54W fixture. Most of the time I only run 1 set of lights on a 5 hr timer. Sometimes when I'm home on weekends or during the day, I turn the other set on manually for about an hour.

These peacock eels are the smallest of the freshwater eels, maxing out at around 12-15" and live for about 5 years. They would probably do ok in a 30" long tank. My eel isn't much of a constant swimmer. He hangs out in the dark cave about 98% of the time. It's fun to watch him hunt, very methodical and a quick strike similar to a snake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemman View Post
this is niffty subscribed!
Thanks!
Old 03-08-2010, 07:13 PM   #38
cah925
Fear the Swamp!

Here's a recent photo of the eel. I would have to estimate his size to be about 7-8", nearly double from when I first bought him back in October. You can get a real good perspective on his size in this video compared to the orange platies swimming around him.

FTS
Old 03-10-2010, 09:14 PM   #39
rhytemaker
Tanks A'lot

PTrader: (23/100%)

This is really cool man. Nicely done. Your making me want to go high tech on my bicher tank!

***84g Fluval Osaka 320***
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...d-spankin.html

Fluval Pimp**Uno Cinco** (15)
rhytemaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 10:01 PM   #40
kyle3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

fabulous tank!

i love the "planter" cave. it gives you a great tiered planting surface and you hid it very well with you're aquascape.

cool occupants too.

cheers-K
kyle3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2010, 02:37 AM   #41
stingraysrule
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I really like it.
very nice.
stingraysrule is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2010, 04:28 AM   #42
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

i would love to have another eel... my zigzag eel died from some sort of intestinal infection after having over a year... im worried about them digging at my crypts roots and causing them to melt, have any problems with this?
kwheeler91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2010, 05:10 AM   #43
cah925
Fear the Swamp!

I haven't had any problems with my eel digging in the planted section. His cave is quite large and he hides in there most of the time.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:41 PM   #44
cah925
Fear the Swamp!

Here's a video monkeyruler90 made for me last month of the eel hunting and eating. I have been out of town for the last four months so he was kind enough to go over and feed the eel and do my water changes for me. Unfortunately, the eel managed to push the glass top open and crawl out a couple days ago.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:55 PM   #45
cah925
Fear the Swamp!

I went out looking for replacements this afternoon and found a Senegal bichir. I'm only getting one fish for now until I can find a way to add some PVC pipe in the cave without destroying the scape. Bichirs can be a little fiesty when it comes to territory and I want all fish to be happy in their environment. Here's some pics. This little guy is only about 3" right now.

Now I need a new title for this tank/thread.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.