Creative Aquatics In Owensboro now The Fish Doctor
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Kentucky

Old 02-23-2010, 08:33 PM   #1
Heatherdersh
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Creative Aquatics In Owensboro now The Fish Doctor

I went in here a couple weeks ago and they've hanged ownership. They used to focus on saltwater mainly with a slight focus on cichlids and "rarer" (for the area) freshwater fish. Jimmy Forsythe is the new owner and when I stopped in we talked about the new plans for the store. He's going to keep the SW, but he's really branching into freshwater also (with a focus on cichlids), and the better news? He'll be doing plants! The store is kind of a mess right now as they're remodeling it, but I'm hoping within the next few months the tri-state will have a local source for planted aquarium products.

He also said he will order anything (fish/plants/equipment) you want, so that's pretty exciting because no other store in Owensboro will really do that...and I don't have the time to pop up to Evansville every time I want somethingni can't find in town.

Anyway, I see this as good news, maybe our hobby will grow enough to start up a club or something

Old 03-25-2010, 04:59 AM   #2
Kamon
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Thats great! I live 45 minutes away and am usually in Owensboro at least once a week.
Kamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:31 PM   #3
dana1370

PTrader: (0/0%)

Very sad creative aquatics went under, not sure how The Fish Doctor will be. Smaller store and everything still seems such a mess.
I am hoping Pet smart can pick up some different plants though, I have always been treated so nice there hate to go else where anymore
dana1370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:46 PM   #4
Heatherdersh
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana1370 View Post
Very sad creative aquatics went under, not sure how The Fish Doctor will be. Smaller store and everything still seems such a mess.
I am hoping Pet smart can pick up some different plants though, I have always been treated so nice there hate to go else where anymore

Yeah it was unfortunate. I used to go in there every month or so to see if they had any interesting FW, and also to drool over their SW. Once I upgrade my planted tank and get it stabilized I'm going for a reef tank as well. The staff were so nice. From my understanding though it didn't really have a negative effect on them though as they parted ways with the store because it was interfering with their full time jobs, not that they were forced out of business or anything. I've just heard that through the grapevine though, and I'd prefer to think it's true over the alternative, yanno?

But thanks I don't know if I've ever personally spoken to you, but it's good to hear my store is treating you well.

We're trying to expand our plant selection, but being supplied by a corporate distributor, we in the store don't have much say. We did recently add marimo and anubias on lava rock to our collection so it's nice to see we're expanding a bit. We also have java ferns in the tubes now. I think it will be a while before we have a really nice selection. For now our potted plants are hit-or-miss each week, and some stay in so long that they just die off because we don't have a system to support them.

I'll tell you what though, i've found a lot of nice plants at E&L. I'm not big on their fish, but I couldn't tell you how many plants in my tank are from there. That always have something fun and different.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:47 PM   #5
Kamon
Algae Grower

I have also found great plants at E&L Pets. Their dwarf hairgrass has worked out pretty well for me.

Its a shame Petsmart doesn't get a decent system to support freshwater plants. It wouldn't require much money to buy a couple bulbs and some dry fertilizers.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:26 AM   #6
Heatherdersh
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamon View Post
I have also found great plants at E&L Pets. Their dwarf hairgrass has worked out pretty well for me.

Its a shame Petsmart doesn't get a decent system to support freshwater plants. It wouldn't require much money to buy a couple bulbs and some dry fertilizers.
Ah yes but we're a corporation and have very strict layouts we have to stick to. I wish we (the employees) had a say in the matter, but no. Each store is merely a clone of the others...with size and hardgoods being about the only differences. (ok that's an exaggeration, but none of the petsmarts I've been in from IN, KY, TX or CA have a decent plant selection XD)

Haha maybe I'll start updating every Friday when we get our fish/plants if something cool comes in the assorted potted plants.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:03 AM   #7
cmabrey75
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

I have shopped at creative aquatics since it first opened at that time Jimmy and creative aquatics were in the same building. Hopefully the fish doctor will turn out to be ok. I am planning on making a order to Aquariumplants here in the next few weeks after I get the koi pond going again because there's not a good reliable sorce for plants in this area unless you can make a trip to Nashville. Also I always have plants and fish to get rid of if anyone is interested.
cmabrey75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:12 PM   #8
dana1370

I am really needing to find a new place to get plants and supplements. Hate to do it but may be looking into ordering online. Would much rather there be a reliable source here in town.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:48 PM   #9
cmabrey75
Algae Grower

I agree but hopefully the fish doctor will get some in but until then there's some really good places online to get supplements. You may want to look at the sponsers for this forum. Also you may want look into powder forms of supplements, usually you can get enough to last for about 6 months for the same price as liquids.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:59 AM   #10
Kamon
Algae Grower

I usually order from Aquariumplantsdotcom. I've found their shipping isn't the "cheapest", but the plants are in great shape.

It would be cool if there was enough people to start up a club or something of that type.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:58 AM   #11
cmabrey75
Algae Grower

Has anyone been by the fish doctor? just wondering if they have any plants yet.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:39 AM   #12
dana1370

Went to the Fish Doctor last week, still no plants and same we are getting them soon response. Sadly their was a tank of rosy reds that said " We are doing poorly" there were at least 100 Dead fish in that tank. That is a bit worse than dead. Mentioned it to the sales person and it was brushed off.

Over all the whole time I was in the shop was treated rudely and as if I could not have a clue what I was talking about. Will not ever step foot in there again. I had hoped for better but will be taking my fish business else where.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:22 PM   #13
cmabrey75
Algae Grower

Sorry to hear that but the last time I went in there it was the same way. Guess I will continue to ordering from the net.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:05 AM   #14
Ljk09
Algae Grower

Does anyone know if The Fish Dr is still in business?
Ljk09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:51 AM   #15
Heatherdersh
Planted Member

They are. They are only open on friday and saturday 11-7. I haven't been by in over a year but last I saw they had a 40breeder with plants but everything else was cichlids and saltwater. My customers at work have me believing the same thing. I still send customers out to him for salt and cichlids but still no source for plants in town

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2