225 Gallon Office Setup
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 11-26-2009, 05:01 PM   #1
JDowns
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Default 225 Gallon Office Setup

This was a recent project I did for an office setup. Due to its location I had to limit the gallonage of water to get engineering approval. So the land and water sections are completely seperated. The land areas are raised and supported with 1/2' pvc framing with eggcrate on top. This was covered with weed guard and edges foamed into place. The land substrate is a base layer 1" of ZeoSand, then a mixture of ADA Amazonia, Botanical Gardens mix, then topped with a thin layer of coir. The aquatic area is ADA Amazonia. The false bottom of the land area self drains back into a sump that serves for misting and auto top off. The 2" drains also house two waterproof dc fans that pump in cool humid air that keeps the glass from fogging up. Filtration for the aquatic area is overkill with a panworld 40 into a NuClear with a Purigen sock in the center. This then goes to a SCWD to alternate the flow from front to back on two different outlets. The auto top off is always on, on a trickle. There is a bulkhead in the overflow chamber at a max height that drains the water back into the sump so the water level is kept at a constant to avoid a dirty waterline. Tank is automated via a Digital Aquatics ReefKeeper Lite. There are three banks of 2x54w Icecap driven HOT5's. One bank is on 8 - 8, the other two 10 - 6. With all three fixtures on there is a par of 40 - 60 at the aquatic substrate level, so low light for the anubius, crytps, and hydrocotle. There are also dual foggers one for each side that come on a few times during the day to boost humidity and give a nice visual effect. All of the wood is locally collected manzanita and cork bark.

Empty tank leak testing.

Right and left sides of the dry area to show plumbing.

More pre setup photos can be seen in my photos.

First day setup. The moss mix of xmas, flame, and peacock, and anubius were all grown out for a few weeks prior to delivery.

Shot as you walk in the lobby.

(Sorry Cannot Find this Photo Anymore)

Full tank shot.

Now just time to allow things to grow and fill in. The tank was planted with alot of slow growers to keep maintenance to a minimum. I'll update later with a full plant list and some random close ups.

Last edited by JDowns; 03-18-2013 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: update photo links
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 05:16 PM   #2
yikesjason
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (71/100%)

Holy Smokes!! That is awesome! What is the foot print on that? That stand looks like one I saw in the DIY stand thread. Did you build it.
I hope you can put up more info on the the entire build. I have a feeling that a lot of people are going to want to know more.
yikesjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 05:42 PM   #3
JDowns
Planted Member

Sorry forgot the tank dimensions. The tank is 72 x 24 x 30(t) custom built acrylic by Tenecor. Yes the stand was in the DIY thread and was custom made to match the office interior.

More plants are coming next week. I needed a few more of the mini neo's and the lowland nepenthes I wanted were out of stock.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:33 PM   #4
EdwardN
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/96%)

Very impressive setup!

A plant selection and especially availability is always a difficult aspect of such arrangements. Some Tillandsias there look like of a succulent type and may not be as durable as expected. I like the use of other Bromeliads ( probably from the genus Neoregelia), but I grow much better small varieties, some with more vivid colour. I'm looking forward to some more pictures in time.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:15 PM   #5
JDowns
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardN View Post
Very impressive setup!

A plant selection and especially availability is always a difficult aspect of such arrangements. Some Tillandsias there look like of a succulent type and may not be as durable as expected. I like the use of other Bromeliads ( probably from the genus Neoregelia), but I grow much better small varieties, some with more vivid colour. I'm looking forward to some more pictures in time.
Yes some of the Tillys may not fair well. There is a great deal of air circulation (fresh air) and the the top of the tank drys out in between waterings. But some may make it and some not. Its going to be a test and see. Some of them were pre grown during testing for a few weeks. One sp. didn't fair well at all. The others have done well and started to root already. One is even sending out a pup. Some of the others are fresh installs.

The Broms are all Mini Neos., Chiquita Linda, Eoz, and Wee Willy, the Eoz being the largest of them. The remainder to be planted will be Kelcy Lee x Aztec andWilsonia. As with any Brom coloration will be dependent on lighting. The ones nearest the top should color up nicely with time. I looked at quite a few of the different mini neos, of which there are alot to choose from, and the client and I settled on a grouping that would blend more then stand out. The Kelcy Lee x Aztec sp. should be the one that is more or less a focal point with its red/purple coloration that will offset well with the paintings and furniture in that room.

I'll upload more photo's in a bit and put together a plant list.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:46 PM   #6
Solid
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (21/100%)

Wow! That's beutifull! Any plans for some fish and/or critters?
Old 11-27-2009, 06:21 PM   #7
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

that is absolutely amazing... great job!
F22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:14 PM   #8
CL
C-A-T-S

PTrader: (79/100%)

Holy freak that is awesome! Is that a mistking system?
Old 11-27-2009, 08:31 PM   #9
JDowns
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid View Post
Wow! That's beutifull! Any plans for some fish and/or critters?
Yes the aquatic area will have the general cleanup crew, a few oto's, a pair of dwarf puffers, and a bunch of shrimp. The main fish will probably be Embers but that hasn't been set in stone just yet.

Land area inhabitants are still being discussed. Aquatic animals will be in a few weeks. Land area after the New Year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL View Post
Holy freak that is awesome! Is that a mistking system?
Yes the misting system is from MistKing using 8 heads with the ZipDrip. Very silent system when setup properly.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:55 PM   #10
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

maybe skip the fish and get some iranian newt? (Neurergus kaiseri)

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alan.cann/Nkaiseri.html
F22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:55 PM   #11
cah925
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (173/100%)

That tank is beautiful. Can we get some close up pics?
cah925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:08 PM   #12
oldpunk78
ಠ_ಠ

PTrader: (105/100%)

wow! that is beautiful.
oldpunk78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:39 PM   #13
JDowns
Planted Member

A few closeup photos from setup day.

Water feature area.

I need to get updated photos of the Chiquita Linda here. I'ts started to bloom.

Closeup of center.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:35 AM   #14
CL
C-A-T-S

PTrader: (79/100%)

That waterfall is sweet. This is one heck of an awesome tank.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:45 AM   #15
pandapr
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

breathtaking !!nice work !

"No se vive celebrando victorias, sino superando derrotas."
pandapr is offline   Reply With Quote