Jeffrey's "Big Boy"---120g Planted: Updated 4/18/2014 w/ pictures
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-19-2009, 10:27 PM   #1
jmhart
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Default Jeffrey's "Big Boy"---120g Planted: Updated 4/18/2014 w/ pictures

Well, it's finally time. I've been talking about it and planning it out for a year(Evidenced: here, here, here, and here ) and now it's finally coming together, my 120g planted. To read a fair amount of background on me and my planted tanks, and especially the details leading up to this 120g, you can check out the link to my blog in my sig.

I've been waiting to put up a journal until things were starting to move a little quicker, and now the speed is picking up. I'm taking my time on this one, doing everything right from the get go, but there should start to be some action in the coming weeks.

For now, a little teaser shot:

Last edited by jmhart; 04-19-2014 at 03:04 AM.. Reason: Announcing Update
jmhart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2009, 10:49 PM   #2
jmhart
Wannabe Guru

The tank is a 120g Marineland, 48"x24"x24", with a 700 gph corner overflow. I will most likely be removing the overflow and simply using the exisiting holes as the intake and output for my filtration system. There will be one input from the overflow hole. Output will either be entirely by a substrate level spray bar similar to BryceM's, or the substrate level spray bar plus two glass lily outputs.

The stand is maple, custom built. I've built plenty of stands before, some that even passed as decent(see the first post here), but for this I wanted professional furniture grade. After getting the thing home, it's apparent that I could have easily done the stand because most of the trim is prefab from a woodworking store like Rockler, but the canopy was the real gem du jour. The canopy is very solid, and incorporates a nice design to minimize light from shining through the seams. That was important to me and I couldn't have duplicated it unless I blatantly ripped off the cabinet maker.

The filtration will be a closed loop system similar to Scolley's, but incorporating three canister filters instead of his seperate pump/filtration modules. I will also be incorporating an auto water change similar to Sergio's.

Lighting will be a 6x54w Tek T5HO with 3 Giessman Middays and 3 Aquafloras. CO2 pressurized with a pH controller.

Finally, the whole thing will be controlled by a Wasser-controller.

These projects will be completed in the very near future. In consideration for expansion, I'll be building my piping with additional connections for a furture perstaltic pump auto-dosing setup similar to Bill's.

I've taken a year to plan this out, so when I say "near future" that means, hopefully, before December 31. I'm patient and planning to build everything perfectly. I'm heavily leaning on the learning and experience of others.

Last edited by jmhart; 11-20-2009 at 03:45 AM..
Old 11-19-2009, 10:56 PM   #3
billb
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)

Jeffery - I applaud your self control! You have done your homework and the tank will be great. Now.... you have to hurry up because the rest of us need immediate gratification! We want more pictures!

Have fun with this build!

Bill
billb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2009, 11:17 PM   #4
jmhart
Wannabe Guru

Bill,

Thanks. I've had a long while to prepare for this. My wife and I decided to move back to Atlanta where we would buy a house last November, but thanks to the global economic meltdown, we weren't able to until July...so I had a lot of time to read and plan.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:03 PM   #5
jmhart
Wannabe Guru

I've been a busy boy.

I've ordered all the parts for my Wasser-controller, they should be here in the next few days. Included in that is the float valve I'll be using for my auto top off as well as the irrigation solenoids.

I also removed the overflow and painted the back of the tank. I'll put some pics up later.

I was planning to draw out a P&ID of the plumbing today so that I could get an idea of what all parts I'll need, but I've had a slight hang-up with my 60-P that requires my immediate attention, so the P&ID will have to wait.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:23 PM   #6
billb
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)

Definitely interested in seeing your auto fill/top off design. I am still looking at these with an eye to set something up for my Sulawesi tank some day. Wasserpest is a great resource for concepts.

Bill
billb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2009, 08:34 PM   #7
jmhart
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb View Post
Definitely interested in seeing your auto fill/top off design. I am still looking at these with an eye to set something up for my Sulawesi tank some day. Wasserpest is a great resource for concepts.

Bill

Yeah, I'm stealing shamelessly from him and few other people. Why reinvent the wheel? However, I'm doing it cafeteria style, picking and choosing what works best for me.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:28 PM   #8
jmhart
Wannabe Guru

As mentioned, I cut out the overflow.

Before:

After:

I left the bottom silicone in place since it'll be covered by substrate and this way if I ever decide to put it back on, I've got an outline(as if it wouldn't already be easy enough).

And I painted the back of the tank black.

Before:

Midway (placing styrofoam under the tank):

After:

Old 12-07-2009, 10:59 PM   #9
Phil Edwards
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Niiiiice.
Phil Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2009, 05:26 PM   #10
bherren1
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)

I was born and raised in the Greater Atlanta Area...Lawrenceville out in Gwinnett County...and I do miss it sometimes. Not the traffic though...(sorry for the off topic comment in your journal)

I'm looking forward to watching this one develop and seeing what I can learn along the way. Great stuff!
Old 12-11-2009, 10:41 PM   #11
jmhart
Wannabe Guru

One more thing checked off, my Tek fixture now has two cords instead of one:

I've love to say that the brown cord was so I could tell the difference, really it was just that the brown cord was the cheaper option...and on a setup of this magnitude every dollar counts!
Old 12-29-2009, 09:03 PM   #12
jmhart
Wannabe Guru

I got all the parts in for my controller and I got it all soldered together:

I have four independently controller sockets in the Technical-Pro power supply, with 2 spares for non controlled power. I have 2 24 VAC controlled ports on the controller for my water change solenoids when I pipe everything together.

I'll be operating co2/light bank 1 together and UV/light bank 2 together to start off with so I'll have s splitter downstream of the socket. I've wired the power supply so that the relays are in parrellel to the switches, and therefore the switches on the PS can manually turn on a circuit. Depending on my uses later, I may rewire this so that the switches manually override the relays and shut down the circuits.

Materials include:

* DIG 5006 Drip Irrigation Controller ordered from Sprinkler Warehouse for $65.
* 4 120 VAC, 3 Amp relays, part number Tyco KHAU-1711-24 ordered from ebay,
$4/each
* Technical Pro PS-S8 rack mount power supply ordered form ebay, $20/shipped
* 2 Rainbird irrigation solenoids, 1" NPT, from Sprinkler Warehouse, $11
* 1 "miniature" float switch from Fish Bowl Innovations, $12 plus shipping
* Some granulated activated carbon inline cannisters for the refill line

I'll be taking a little break from this tank for the next month or so. I'm taking some distance learning classes and have to focus my efforts on finishing those up during January.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:07 AM   #13
steve_dowg2001
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

i have a 75 gallon should i have put styrofoam under my tank? doesnt this help with not cracking???? my tank is a oceanic soo the glass is pretty thick. but can you still have problems with a crack? your tank is gonna look nice. i love the 120 gallon just dont have the space for it.i cant wait to see this all planted up
steve_dowg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2010, 12:22 AM   #14
jmhart
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_dowg2001 View Post
i have a 75 gallon should i have put styrofoam under my tank? doesnt this help with not cracking???? my tank is a oceanic soo the glass is pretty thick. but can you still have problems with a crack? your tank is gonna look nice. i love the 120 gallon just dont have the space for it.i cant wait to see this all planted up

Well, I've had a 75g without any foam under it. Unless it's a custom tank, most manufactures use the same thickness in their glass according to tank size. As tanks get larger, the slightest contortion of the glass can result in a shattered tank and a flooded house. 75 is kind of borderline to me. Any larger and I would personally always put foam under it. Any smaller and I never worry about it. It's a personal judgment call.

I leveled the stand, and subsequently the tank, but the foam underneath it will help out that much more for any inconsistencies in the floor or stand once I put water in it.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:29 AM   #15
thrak76
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)

I missed your last update earlier this month. That controller is very cool! What inspired your thoughts for putting that together?

This is most definitely a high-tech tank.
Pimp #418: 2075, 2217
MARINELAND Pimp#5: C-220, H.O.T.

thrak76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.