amanda's 20g cat-warmer
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-13-2004, 01:52 AM   #1
amanda huggenkiss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default amanda's 20g cat-warmer

I think this pic speaks for itself...

So far I've got hairgrass (still kinda clumpy, but I didn't have the patience to spread it out more ), a few crypts, a lysimachia nummularia 'Aurea', a cardamine lyrata, and a few clippings from my h polysperma (just to kick-start things -- I'll remove it later). And my LFS is keeping an eye out for some pearlgrass for me. I'll eventually be adding a piece of driftwood at the right -- either the piece from my 6g or a new piece if I can find "that perfect piece".

Substrate is aquatic soil, topped with fine gravel, topped with sand. I know the sand and gravel will eventually mix, but I'm ok with that. They're both natural colour so it won't look too weird, and I'm hoping the hairgrass will eventually fill out and you won't be able to see the substrate at all.

Lighting is a double 65W Coralife fixture. Since a lot of my plants have high light requirements, I'm going to run one light for 10 hours/day, with an overlap of maybe an hour when both lights are on. Does that sound like a plan? Or do you think a single 65W would be enough?

A Hagen ladder provides CO2. Since it's just a 20g tank, and it won't have too many fast-growers, I'm hoping this will do.

Filter is a submersible Fluval 3 Plus. It doesn't take up too much space at all, and because it's black in colour, it totally blends into the background.

I've had it set up for a few days now. I'm trying to speed up establishing a cycle by using Sera Nitrivec. My LFS swears by it. So I've already added a few fish (the furcatus I've had my eye on for awhile). Once things settle down more, I'll add a few more, and eventually will move the apistos over from my 6g.

wannacomewith.com

Last edited by amanda huggenkiss; 06-13-2004 at 04:05 AM..
amanda huggenkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 03:18 AM   #2
jart
Wannabe Guru

you're really a fan of that hairgrass i see amanda. should look great once it fills in. and maybe it's just the pic but you're right about the fluval i wouldn't have noticed it if you hadn't mentioned it.

that is one contented-looking kitty...
jart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 08:17 AM   #3
Zach987
Planted Member

my wife, " the cat lover " noticed something about your baby. In the second pic his eyes are open and paws are over the water. Are you sure you didn't interupt him while fishing?

Our Blog
My Flickr page
Zach987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 01:57 PM   #4
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)

You did the perfect job of planting the hairgrass, after a week trim it down to about a half inch and it will spread like wildfire through the open area. If you want to let it spread through the tank do nothing, if you want to restrict it to that area use strips of clear plastic inserted into the substrate as far as you can push them, and sticking out above the substrate about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. This corrals the hairgrass and stops it from sending runners everywhere. You will still have to watch for the occasional stray that gets around the end. It isn't easy to see the plastic, when the plant club came to my house I had to point out the plastic I used to keep an open area in the front of my ten gallon tank. This was a group of people looking very hard into my tanks.

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
SCMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 06:54 PM   #5
amanda huggenkiss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach987
my wife, " the cat lover " noticed something about your baby. In the second pic his eyes are open and paws are over the water. Are you sure you didn't interupt him while fishing?
Hee. Actually, I tried to get another pic later where she was standing on the light, leaning over the glass, and batting at the fish. I hope she doesn't figure out how to open the glass top.

Hey Sean, if I let the hairgrass run wild, will it even grow under other plants, even if that restricts its light? Is there a problem, other than aesthetics, to letting it grow wherever it wants?

wannacomewith.com
Old 06-13-2004, 07:17 PM   #6
Basilisk
Planted Member

Nice tank. If you add the driftwood you want, it would add a neat contrast to the sand. Hairgrass will look terrific.

It seems like cats just love to be on top of the tank. I've seen at least a dozen pictures of tanks with cats on the hood. Even my LFS has a cat that does in every hooded tank in the store. Does yours also drink from the tank Amanda? Most cats think AquaClears are their private water trough.
Old 06-13-2004, 07:31 PM   #7
amanda huggenkiss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basilisk
It seems like cats just love to be on top of the tank. I've seen at least a dozen pictures of tanks with cats on the hood. Even my LFS has a cat that does in every hooded tank in the store. Does yours also drink from the tank Amanda? Most cats think AquaClears are their private water trough.
I think it's mostly because of the heat from the light fixture, although with a glass-topped tank, there's the added bonus of providing personal cat entertainment. Luckily, all my tanks are covered so no, the cats haven't tried drinking out of them. They do, however, have their own fountain (they are so spoiled!)

wannacomewith.com
Old 08-08-2004, 07:28 AM   #8
amanda huggenkiss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You know what they say... it's always darkest before the dawn, right?

This pic was taken on the 18th. I got really fed up with it, and while I didn't do a total blackout, I did leave the tank lights off for several days. That made quite a dent in the green water. Since then, it's pretty much cleared up completely.

Today was a really busy aquarium day for me. First I caught the four clown loaches and the two SAEs that were wreaking havoc on my plants in my 29g (catching them was a big project). Went to the LFS, and guess what I found?

I bought 'em ALL!

Came home, removed most of the fast-growing stem plants I started out with in my 20g, did a bit of rearranging, and added my new find. About 2 seconds after I took that pic, my apisto ate him.

So then I had to try to catch the apistos. Not easy. I finally ended up catching the cherries instead and placing them in a breeding trap until I can move the apistos over to the 29g. Out of the 6 that I bought, I managed to catch 4, and one of them is half dead because my other apisto tried to eat him before I could intervene. I can only hope the other one is still in there somewhere.

These fish have never bothered the amanos, and completely ignore the little green shrimp, so I assumed the cherries would be fine too (they're the same size). Well apparently the amanos are just too big, and I don't think the apistos even see the green shrimp because they're so well camouflaged. The cherries, on the other hand, apparently look like big fat bloodworms.

Crap.

wannacomewith.com
Old 08-09-2004, 06:21 AM   #9
putty
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Did you get your hairgrass localy? If so where abouts? GW will clear up...nice pics.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:27 AM   #10
amanda huggenkiss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hey Putty

I got the hairgrass at Aquariums West, same as the shrimp. They had some last week, but I didn't see any this weekend when I went in -- then again, I wasn't looking for it.

As for the green water, I'm considering myself lucky. Other than that and some green spot algae, this tank's doin' alright.

wannacomewith.com
Old 08-09-2004, 06:59 AM   #11
putty
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have to check out AW. Me and the GF always go to Big Als for fish and King Ed for supplies.

I want some hairgrass.

I had a major war with BBA when I moved my tank - you are lucky.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:07 AM   #12
amanda huggenkiss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by putty
I had a major war with BBA when I moved my tank - you are lucky.
I take it you haven't seen my 29g!

Actually, it's weird. I have had cross-contamination between my tanks (just me being sloppy), and I've got a few little tufts of BBA on one of my crypts, but it's just not taking hold here like it did in my 29g.

wannacomewith.com
Old 08-10-2004, 03:39 PM   #13
John P.
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Amanda--are the furcatus "schooling" fish in the Harlequin Rasbora sense of the word? I've done a little preliminary research on them, but would appreciate your thoughts.

Nice work on this setup.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:26 AM   #14
amanda huggenkiss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This is how the tank is now.

Still a little bit cloudy, but almost clear.

Took out all the fast-growers the other day, and what remains is what I'm keeping. I just did a major trim on the e. stellata. Ideally it will be taller and fuller. There are a few strands of rotala rotundifolia in the lower left that will eventually grow nice and big. The hairgrass will continue to fill in. And eventually, I'll have pearlgrass running along the right side and around towards the back. (a girl can dream)

I finally got the apistos out and over into the 29g -- that pop bottle trick totally works! And now the cherry shrimp are happily swimming about. In fact, if you look really closely, you can see one of 'em in the hairgrass at the lower left. Still not sure how many I have left. I've only seen three at one time, but that doesn't mean anything.

So currently, the only inhabitants are shrimp (amanos, cherries & green), ottos (3 common & 3 gold), and 4 furcatus. Oh, and snails. A billion snails.

Yowza. Compare the size of those crypts with the original picture. I swear, they're the same plants!

wannacomewith.com
Old 08-10-2004, 08:22 AM   #15
amanda huggenkiss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I was just about to head to bed and decided to have a last look at the tanks... and I have baby green shrimp! They're so tiny!!

I would've taken a pic, but they're also very quick.

wannacomewith.com