Hagens Natural Plant System Co2 kit (new)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-19-2003, 01:35 AM   #1
claycarr

PTrader: (0/0%)

i just bought one and my air pump also went out, could i get away with not having air to my 15 gallon for the night. also can you guys give me the pros/cons to this system? it started making bubbles about 3 hours after mixture. i tried a diy system and couldnt get any bubbles (seal probably was not good enough), i was using bread yeast and 2.5 cups of sugar and 1 teaspoon of baking soda. what was my problem? (wrong yeast????) please help.
claycarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 04:06 PM   #2
Here4TheBeer
Algae Grower

dunno about that co2 system looks pretty good with all the contact the co2 bubbles make with the water.

your co2 mixture sounds good although i never use baking soda. if your tank is big and depending on your lighting and how planted your tank is one bottle may not be enough.

Use aquarium silicone around the hole you made in the bottle top and let it dry for 24 hours and you should be good to go. Also use some kind of DIY co2 reactor so your co2 will get dissolved in your water.
Here4TheBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 05:33 PM   #3
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

Generally, one doesn't run an air pump when adding CO2. You lose the CO2 from the agitation.

Whether your fish will get enough air without that could depend on how heavily your tank is stocked -- imagining it is possible that you have so much fish and so few plants that O2 is an issue.

In a well planted tank, with good light and CO2 and fertilization you would expect that the plants will make enough O2 during the day to carry both fish and plants through the night easily.
anonapersona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 05:39 PM   #4
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

Put the old DIY under water to see if it leaks. You can have leaks from any seal and the tubing itself can leak.

The Hagen sstem hangs on the tank, so no siphoning when you open it up. You can see the bubbles so you know when it slows down. System seems to not leak, but I'll admit I haven't actually tested that underwater.

Downside; cost of replacements, size of unit, possible algae on diffuser, leaves in diffuser making bubbles stop.
Old 02-21-2003, 03:38 PM   #5
corey
Algae Grower

I have had mine set-up for 3 days and I have yet seen a bubble. I changed every thing inside about 8 hours ago and still nothing HELP!!!!!!!!
corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 04:01 PM   #6
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

Probably leaking.

After the lid is tight, give it an extra 1/4 turn (per directions).

The only other thing I can think of is that maybe you used super hot water?? I think it suggests warm not hot. Heat can kill the yeast, cold just delays it.